First Build: Foraging Mechanic and insane hunger

thefistoffury1

Man, I had forgotten just how cool but arbitrary the old foraging system was. I am replaying the first version of the game, and finding wood and food is the most harrowing race against time across all versions of TLD. Thousands of calories of meat lost daily (no starvation exploit of course) but I wonder if I just got spoiled. Anyone else have thoughts on this? :D

Oh, and once I run out of resources I am so dead, isn't that a fun realisation? The game now at least has renewable items to barely still be alive indefinitely lol.

I remember the game being very harsh initially. I've always sort of assumed that voyageur is still hard for new players because not knowing the maps is a major disadvantage, let alone all the other game knowledge you get from playing. But yeah, because the Sandbox was just for testing mechanics, indefinite survival wasn't a thing.

As I recall you pretty much wanted to hit all the possible rifle spawns within the first days. I think it was Trappers, the Lookout tower, and one of the possible bunkers. Maybe also camp office? If you wanted to survive more than a week or two you'd need to learn to chase deer into wolves and use a single bullet to get the most meat. You'd time that with making a huge fire because matches were also a limited resource. The magnifying glass wasn't a guaranteed spawn so every fire counted. 

Once you were out of ammo and flares the only way to continue getting meat was to chase a deer into a wolf, then win the wolf struggle. That usually resulted in injuries that needed bandages, so folks were slowly sacrificing their clothing to make bandages, until finally ending it - starving and naked, fighting a wolf over a deer carcass. 

I never lasted that long. But it was fun to read everyone's stories. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 11/7/2019 at 4:28 AM, LucidFugue said:

If you wanted to survive more than a week or two you'd need to learn to chase deer into wolves and use a single bullet flare shell to get the most meat. You'd time that with making a huge fire because matches were also a limited resource. The magnifying glass wasn't a guaranteed spawn so every fire counted. 

That sounds a lot like playing TWM only interloper :D

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2019 at 4:28 AM, LucidFugue said:

I remember the game being very harsh initially. I've always sort of assumed that voyageur is still hard for new players because not knowing the maps is a major disadvantage, let alone all the other game knowledge you get from playing. But yeah, because the Sandbox was just for testing mechanics, indefinite survival wasn't a thing.

As I recall you pretty much wanted to hit all the possible rifle spawns within the first days. I think it was Trappers, the Lookout tower, and one of the possible bunkers. Maybe also camp office? If you wanted to survive more than a week or two you'd need to learn to chase deer into wolves and use a single bullet to get the most meat. You'd time that with making a huge fire because matches were also a limited resource. The magnifying glass wasn't a guaranteed spawn so every fire counted. 

Once you were out of ammo and flares the only way to continue getting meat was to chase a deer into a wolf, then win the wolf struggle. That usually resulted in injuries that needed bandages, so folks were slowly sacrificing their clothing to make bandages, until finally ending it - starving and naked, fighting a wolf over a deer carcass. 

I never lasted that long. But it was fun to read everyone's stories. 

I remember those times very well, the brunt of my TLD playing time went into those versions. Remember you could not outrun wolves at that time, breaking line of sight was not (yet) a viable maneuver, and the wolves came running at once and never slowed down to walking speed. However, the astute player had one way to get free deer: You had to calculate the angle at which to chase a deer into which wolf, and where the wolf would then probably bring the deer down. If you could manage the deer to be felled near a structure, you could lure the wolf away from the carcass and shake it off by entering the structure. Free deer. This worked especially well in CH on the ice.

I also remember that the routes of rabbits, deer and wolves overlapped largely, so you would have freak chases occurring quite often. All of a sudden, a rabbit or deer could cross your path with a wolf in its wake. 

6 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I also remember that the routes of rabbits, deer and wolves overlapped largely, so you would have freak chases occurring quite often. All of a sudden, a rabbit or deer could cross your path with a wolf in its wake. 

Playing from the time capsule I experienced this type of event.  Walking the high ground above Unnamed pond I saw a deer run past.  My immediate thought was this is odd, never seen deer in this high ground.  Then a wolf passed by and it became clear that this deer had been chased.  Took me completely off guard and I love this type of chaotic chase. 

Bring back freak chase scenes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...