Harvest towels for cloth

jason_scheiner

The problem with this is that it upsets the balance of the game. Cloth is scarce, so you carefully repair clothes and harvest old clothes you have no use for. As it stands, coastal highway has a plethora of cloth and/or clothes that can be harvested for cloth. If you introduce extra sources of cloth from rugs, bedsheets, towels and curtains, it becomes far too easy to walk around with your clothing at a constant 100%, you become lazy and don't worry about shredding your clothes in a blizzard because you can always repair it with the stacks of cloth back at your base.

It is simply a case of resource balancing.

In my opinion, either the towels should be removed from the bathroom towel racks, or they should be made directly harvestable as cloth, with a corresponding reduction in available nearby clothing or straight up cloth on a shelf etc.

If it is a resource balance issue, then, well, balance them!

That could be done, but I'm not sure you will be happy with requiring 10 pieces of cloth to repair a jacket by 20%

It's very easy for you to say "Balance them", but in practice, you have to take into account how that shift changes the rest of the game. It's like playing Jenga on board a ship in a storm. At the moment it is relatively stable, but you change the position of one brick and all hell breaks loose. The best way I can illustrate it is in this picture I found:

That could be done, but I'm not sure you will be happy with requiring 10 pieces of cloth to repair a jacket by 20%

It's very easy for you to say "Balance them", but in practice, you have to take into account how that shift changes the rest of the game. It's like playing Jenga on board a ship in a storm. At the moment it is relatively stable, but you change the position of one brick and all hell breaks loose. The best way I can illustrate it is in this picture I found:

[attachment=0]x8vdMEF.jpg[/attachment]

I'm fully aware of the implications of such an interconnected crafting system, but also I am aware that this is an alpha state game where attempts at balancing the game are made which may or may not screw up the whole thing. Technically, that's probably done in beta after all would-be assets are added. 10 pieces of cloth for a 20% repair, sounds like the result of a poor balance attempt, and well, not very balanced.

Are you saying keep things in your code that are unbalanced for fear of creating more work for yourself? We're not talking spaghetti code bugs here like your picture implies, we're talking balancing a functioning crafting system. Heck, that's why we're all playing the alpha. To test precisely that kind of stuff.

That's not precisely what I'm outlining, but you have to understand that every program has bugs, some of which you cannot even see. Pretty much every program created is flawed is some way or another, What the programmer has to do is to reduce those flaws to the point where they are almost completely unnoticeable (like being able to walk through solid doors if you hold up a large dinner plate against the door before walking through it, this is what happened in Skyrim).

Technically speaking, we would, right now, be in a weird limbo state between beta and alpha, since we are not directly tied to the development (those would be the ones who were in the original alpha phase) but we haven't quite got the same attributes of beta, so we are stuck somewhere in between.

Admittedly yes, there is going to be changes in the crafting system in the future, but what I'm trying to say is that there are limits to how far you can go with harvesting your environment. Why not say "Hell, these car seats are made of leather and clothe, I'll harvest them; while I'm at it, I may as well harvest the entire car engine for scrap, oh hey these trees are all made of wood, I'll harvest all of them..." There comes a point where it gets ridiculous, and all of these problems mount up in some individual who will always complain that "something isn't right" even while it has been reaffirmed time and time again that the game is still under development.

In short, I see what you are getting at, but the availability of resources in game NEED to be curtailed, otherwise it is not a challenge to survive. It would just turn into "Every-day life in the Yukon simulator 2015"

That's not precisely what I'm outlining, but you have to understand that every program has bugs, some of which you cannot even see. Pretty much every program created is flawed is some way or another, What the programmer has to do is to reduce those flaws to the point where they are almost completely unnoticeable (like being able to walk through solid doors if you hold up a large dinner plate against the door before walking through it, this is what happened in Skyrim).

Technically speaking, we would, right now, be in a weird limbo state between beta and alpha, since we are not directly tied to the development (those would be the ones who were in the original alpha phase) but we haven't quite got the same attributes of beta, so we are stuck somewhere in between.

Admittedly yes, there is going to be changes in the crafting system in the future, but what I'm trying to say is that there are limits to how far you can go with harvesting your environment. Why not say "Hell, these car seats are made of leather and clothe, I'll harvest them; while I'm at it, I may as well harvest the entire car engine for scrap, oh hey these trees are all made of wood, I'll harvest all of them..." There comes a point where it gets ridiculous, and all of these problems mount up in some individual who will always complain that "something isn't right" even while it has been reaffirmed time and time again that the game is still under development.

In short, I see what you are getting at, but the availability of resources in game NEED to be curtailed, otherwise it is not a challenge to survive. It would just turn into "Every-day life in the Yukon simulator 2015"

it is still possible to find a solution. for example, the fact that the use of some things needed skill. the hero does not have this skill. so when you try to do or take something, he would answer, "I'm afraid I just broke it." so we will have an answer why we can not use certain things and at the same time can use other things.

Archived