Flare Pistol Uses

K63

After playing TLD for a few years, I have recently been contemplating the flare pistol. I have had very little luck with this item and wondered if perhaps I just wasn't using it to its full effect. My query is, how best does one use the flare pistol?

Edited by K63

Mostly it's used as a last resort to scare off a wolf or bear you didn't see in time. Works well at short range.

You can hunt with it too. It causes a lot of bleeding, but sticking the shell to a bear is hardly guaranteed. A wolf can be killed in a single hit if you hit the head. Or you could drive a deer into a wolf and then scare the wolf away with a flare shot.

1 hour ago, Martin Prchal said:

Shoot charging wildlife with it. It is the only thing that can scare a bear when it decides to charge you. 

Interesting! I didn't think anything would stop a bear once it started its charge.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 10:06 AM, K63 said:

After playing TLD for a few years, I have recently been contemplating the flare pistol. I have had very little luck with this item and wondered if perhaps I just wasn't using it to its full effect. My query is, how best does one use the flare pistol?

On 10/30/2019 at 11:10 AM, Serenity said:

Mostly it's used as a last resort to scare off a wolf or bear you didn't see in time. Works well at short range.

You can hunt with it too. It causes a lot of bleeding, but sticking the shell to a bear is hardly guaranteed. A wolf can be killed in a single hit if you hit the head. Or you could drive a deer into a wolf and then scare the wolf away with a flare shot.

Before Errant Pilgrim update, I used the flare gun on interloper to kill two bears, and multiple wolves. Very tricky as your very limited on ammo in interloper and you MUST hit that perfect shot at point blank, but more than capable. However, it will NOT kill a moose. Even though you may get a huge blood splatter on the ground, and even if you wait for the bleed damage, it is very rare to kill a moose. I think I hit one and slept for 12 hours, then looked for the carcass and found it, but it might have been the revolver.
As for bear, yeah. One shot, instant kill, aim for the white on its nose.

• Like 1

I'm at Day 211 on Interloper and what I've learned might help others. I used the flare gun to kill bears right at the start. I got a few lucky straight kills and as fast as possible, made 2 bearskin coats. These protect enough that I have 1 flare left, but I never need it. I survive attacks well enough that my bow is all the defense I need. Arrows are gold to me. The game for me now is all about killing bears to keep those two coats mended. 22 total so far. What a change from years ago when I started playing TLD and a bear ambling towards me was terrifying. Now, none of them are safe, howoool!!!.

Yep, all of the above are very much true and there's also a match saving feature: If you miss and the flare shell is not stuck on the bear, you can light up a torch from the lit flare on the ground! #TeamMatches 

Also, on Stalker and lower difficulties, you can get more flare shells by beachcombing. Look it up, it's an amazing feature and helps the orange gun's longevity in game. 

Cheers!

Guest jeffpeng
17 hours ago, wizard03 said:

However, it will NOT kill a moose.

It is possible for the shell to become "stuck" in the moose and hit it multiplie times. In that case you can basically one-shot a moose with a flare shell. But it's probably a bug, not a feature.

Aside from that .... the flare gun is intended and best used as a defensive weapon as it will scare anything (except Twolves ofc) in the vicinity and give you a free out from any threat (again, except Twolves ....) even if you don't actually hit your target. You can hunt with it if you really have to, but other weapons are more effective at it.

13 hours ago, Serenity said:

The moose doesn't bleed

Just checked and can confirm, moose will not bleed. =/

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

i use it to call for help by firing it from the tail of the plane on TWM. 😃  It hasn't worked yet though.

On a throw run, I found the flare and a shell in the demolished lighthouse, I just shot it up as if calling for help. XD No one came tho. :(

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, wizard03 said:

As long as they get here before I grow a beard long enough to use as a floatation device. XD

Well. Now that's a crossover: The Long Raft. Maybe Redbeet and Hinterland should get in touch.

• 4 weeks later...