The 4DoN Experience 2019: What's Yours?

ChubbyBeaver

1 hour ago, Andrey Grebenkov said:

Guys, please help me. Is it normal that I played on the first day for a two hours and on second day too, but so far I have not recieve the eclipse badge?🎃🌑

Sounds like one of those days didn't register the full two hours.  If you hit Tab to bring up your objectives, it will tell you how many hours/minutes you have remaining in that day.  And it's actual time spent playing, so if you hit Esc to pause and go do something, the clock is stopped until you resume playing.

And when that badge finally pops...you'll know it. I was lining up a shot on a wolf suddenly this big purple badge appeared on my screen, with the howling sound effect.  Nearly made me miss my shot!

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Day 2: At the Shunned House.

* New location discovered

AZATOTH'S CREEK

Seriously though, imagine if during 4DON, the transition screens when you enter a house and exit a house displayed quotes from the classic horror authors. A selection from Lovecraft alone would spice up The Long Dark's 4DON's mood:

"In his house at R’lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

"Man rules now where They ruled once; They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."

"West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut. There are dark narrow glens where the trees slope fantastically, and where thin brooklets trickle without ever having caught the glint of sunlight. On the gentler slopes there are farms, ancient and rocky, with squat, moss-coated cottages brooding eternally over old New England secrets in the lee of great ledges; but these are all vacant now, the wide chimneys crumbling and the shingled sides bulging perilously beneath low gambrel roofs."

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

You get the idea… ;)

• Like 2

Night 2:  Let the hunt begin.

Last year, I avoided the demon wolves.  This time, I sought them out.  Starting on lake, I crept up and lured them in with thrown stones.  Two wolves killed and one wounded to bleed out somewhere.  Meat, pelts, and guts go to my refuge in the Camp Office.   

After a cooking break, I return to the hunt.  This time, I travel to the derailed boxcars.  Three pairs of glowing eyes await me in the distance.   One senses me early, but is frightened, and runs off.  One goes down with a single shot.  The third is wounded but runs around the area before finally bleeding out, nearby.

By now, the frightened wolf has found its courage.  It approaches...  It charges...  It gets shot in the face.  I make several trips to ferry everything home and then get busy cooking.

I've got plenty of food, water, wood, and coal to get through the event.  The pelts should finish curing soon, so I'll be crafting a Wolfskin coat during the aurora.

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, Andrey Grebenkov said:

Guys, please help me. Is it normal that I played on the first day for a two hours and on second day too, but so far I have not recieve the eclipse badge?🎃🌑

Did you play 2 hours in real time / life? You have to do that. You also need to make sure that you either sleep or enter a building to save your game once the 2 hours register. You can check the time by pressing TAB. 

got a nice pano of PV on a rare clear night. seems like it's always heavy snow or fog. Found one pumpkin stash in PV, must have walked by it half a dozen times, it was just a stone throw away from the Homestead.

Survived a few scraps with the wolves but not something I want to do constantly. Will see how well the flash light works tomorrow, if I can manage to keep the wolves at bay long enough will try slogging around for some more aurora shots

4DON_2_PleasantValley.JPG

Edited by KinoUnko
  • Upvote 2

I'm on my third attempt, not once have I found a rifle, and I did goto the waterfront cottages twice, found a flare gun at a pumpkin in ML on No2, made it to milton with that one looking for better items. Pumpkin was at the old fallen down tower in ML, I went to the new tower(after seeing a picture above) and saw the orange glow on the other hill top.  I'm back in PV (No1 died here) looking for more pumpkins hopefully the homestead will be lucky for me.

I did get the 4don badge at end of day 2, I wasnt expecting it as I'd died, I've enjoyed playing and am looking forward to the next 2 days

I was attacked by a wolf on the way to the mine. I got to the mine, got a ton of coal. The wolf died but I don't know where. I go numb every time I try looking for it. So I moved on. Now I am in pleasant valley. I got my candy supply a bit higher now. I have almost what I need to make deerskin boots. but I found insulated boots so maybe I will wait until I have enough to make the deerskin pants considering that I haven't found any snow pants yet. I feel like I am getting ahead of the game now. This is exciting!

My experience with 4DON this year has been fun. The first day was a real struggle, as I decided to up the difficulty by not sleeping indoors at all. I was constantly hauling 40kgs of stuff and had problems with keeping myself warm. I did find the rifle at the end of the first day so that was lucky.

Second day I was so preoccupied with real life -stuff that I couldn't really enjoy the challenge at all, just managed to get the required 2 hours for the badge.

Today I decided to ditch the rifle because it weights so much and started moving into Pleasant Valley. I slept a good sleep at the new fire barrel near Thomson's crossing. Now I've decided that my final spot of survival will be the outdoor barn near the big indoor barn in pleasant valley. Found a moose hide satchel so it's gonna help me a lot in preparing. :)

A couple of wood runs to make sure I will have more than enough wood for tomorrow's blizzard and then I will be set. ^^

edit: Now that I found a second rifle in PV and my wood run's are almost done. I think there might be some sport hunting instead of down time. ;)

edit2: ready for tomorrow. ^^

screen_d7d4efa2-29ff-4003-858c-5211cdaecdf1.png

Edited by ppedro
  • Upvote 2

I was struggling to survive the night of the wolves and then in a short span of time I found not one, but two rifles and a weapon cleaning kit. I managed this by getting lucky. I found both caches in Coastal Highway and then crossed over to Mystery Lake and found one of the caches there in the first few minutes.

• Like 1

My experience is "stupid plays 4DoN"

First 4DoN, and I hate spoilers, so I dive in without reading too much the announcement. 1st day in CH is cool, plenty of gears and food grabbed. That seems too easy. I quickly check the admin post on the forum. Alright, day2 wolves, day3 aurora, day4 hell-of-a-blizzard.
I make my plan : day 2 in PV (for the exploration possibilities), day 3 in TWM (for the views), day 4 back in PV where I stock coals (for the "I'd like to actually survive this").

So, of course, when I go near the old prepper cache, ain't got no rope to let me go to TWM. I try to goat it. Yeah, 'cause I'm that stubborn. Back to the forum. Oh ok, CH, PV, MT, ML only... I don't like MT so much, and I've already spent many hours in ML, but ok, let's go skate on the lake.
We're day3, and I want to go from PV to ML through the dam. When I saw the first wire sparkling I could have punch myself for being that stupid. And I'll try to pass anyway tabernac, I'll find a way, because I'm stupid and stubborn.

For those who are looking for challenges, I shoot a wolf from the top of the dam (but I took the screenshot right after the shot without the HUB, 'coz yeah you know why). I was successful after 4 or 5 shots.

I got you ! (can you see it ?)
I got you ! (can you see it ?)

screen_51e94d9d-f733-4e38-a333-44630eee5c94_hi.thumb.png.e550468dbc673d27fe1333532f2ee09a.png
Running pixels

screen_00d3b215-0bdc-40ec-b585-3bed4b00e1bf_hi.png

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
43 minutes ago, LkP said:

For those who are looking for challenges, I shoot a wolf from the top of the dam

W0000000T :D ..... I'm at a loss for words.

Speaking of sharp shooting:

image.png.ec483bd2cf348de28ffc02e3a765b00d.png

Most of them at a fair distance. I kinda forgot how amazing the rifle actually is (or did it get better?)

48 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Speaking of sharp shooting:

I'm far from being that accurate (normally I'm happy when close enough to scare them), but it's fun to have tons of bullets to just waste in target practice :D

8 hours ago, Lohaan said:

What software do you use to take an image like this? 

Photoshop has a built-in photomerger I've only discovered recently. I just take a series of images in game like one would with a camera pano function and let photoshop stitch it together. 

Speaking of which... Night of Auroras in PV, you can see a wolf coming towards me in the lower left. the flash light seems to be quite effective. I think I'll go around for some more of these as I've yet to visit ML or Milton

4DON_3_PleasantValley.JPG

Edited by KinoUnko
  • Upvote 5

well so far i have gotten so good with killing wolves in 1 shot i actually have a stock pile of cured wolf pelts. Currently up to 40 wolf pelts and 2 wolf jackets. Only been mualed 2 times only cuz i ran into 2 wolves that did not growl or bark or anything i went over a hill and boom attacked by 1 and the other was right around the corner on Coastal highway. Close to getting 5 cooking just off of all the wolf meat.

I still haven't started my Day 3 yet. (Shitty day, and spent mostly away from my computer). My Day 2 at Camp Office was quiet. I wanted to get out, rifle in hand, and shoot everything that moved on that Lake, but man, there was so much to do indoors:

• I had to catch up on my reading: Wilderness Kitchen, Shooting Guides, the Bear Island Phone Directory, the Frozen Angler. These were real page-turners. So many hours went by!
  • The two wheels beneath the stairs needed to be repainted. Good thing the place was full of paint buckets. But then I didn't like the colour, and just chopped them with the hatchet.
  • I changed the sheets on the beds upstairs. They smelled mouldy. 
  • I didn't like the position of the armchair in the Camp Office entrance, tried a few places, but then I simply decided to get rid of it.
  • All recycled cans needed to be stocked in the cupboard upstairs. I did it, and even arranged them by condition, in descending order.
  • Collected all the stacks of papers and put them downstairs in the kitchen area.
  • Sharpened my hunter knife until it reached 100% condition.
  • Sharpened my hatchet until it reached 92% condition.
  • Looked for my second whetstone — I was sure I had left it on the workbench or inside its drawer, but then I remembered I left it at Carter Hydro Dam and so I wrote a reminder in my journal to go there later, perhaps on Day 4.
  • Arranged all the collected wood downstairs in neat arrays. Reclaimed wood at a perfect 60º angle. Fir and Cedar firewood in perpendicular orientation, so I know that Cedar logs are aligned with the Camp Office counter, while Fir firewood logs are at a 90º angle with respect to the aforementioned Cedar logs. Easy to make out which is which when I have to quickly add fuel to the stove.
  • Harvested the various pieces of cloth and arranged them neatly on the table upstairs.
  • Oiled the vice on the workbench.
  • Made several litres of water and prepared 8 cups of coffee and 6 cups of herbal tea.
  • Counted how many calories total I can get from my stash of chocolate bars and tried to do the math to outline a ration plan. I suck at math. This took some extra time.
  • Repaired all my clothes. All of them. If someone visits, I can't look like a homeless survivor.
  • Folded all unnecessary pieces of clothing and put them in the chest of drawers upstairs.
  • Looked for a broom to clean the place, then I remembered there was one in the Lake Cabins. Maybe tomorrow I'll go fetch it.

Fortunately I had some free time left to take a walk outside through the Lake Trail to Dave's Quiet Clearing and back. Picked up 6 sticks and was bummed there was no Dave in his Quiet Clearing, but at least he was so kind as to leave me another log of Fir firewood. 

And not a single wolf in sight! I mean, come on!

• Upvote 1

Aurora Day!  Armed with a rifle, 71 rounds, and two flashlights I left the camp office to return to Pleasant Valley and find that last bunker.  Turns out I didn't even need both, as just one was sufficient to keep the doggos at bay.  I even had a few hilarious moments where a pack of doggos couldn't decide which one would have aggro, so they all just stuttered about barking at each other, and not doing anything.  Well long story short I found the bunker (a food bunker as it happens) and headed back to Mystery Lake overloaded with candy bars and water.  I took the long way there and back, because I was NOT going to risk the dam during the perma-aurora, so by the time the long tedious trek was done...well... I had gotten sick of avoiding wolves.

I have 5 minutes left before Day 3 is in the bag. I have 71 rounds that will be worthless after today.  I put away the flashlight and pulled out the rifle, then cut a bloody swath right through the thick of them. With unerring aim I dropped wolf after wolf, and my rifle rounds dropped into the 60s, then 50's, as my circuitous path through the twisting trails and hills of the region left a trail of bodies in my wake.  Like an avatar of avenging Interloper victims, I paid back the wolves in full for all the pain and misery they had wrought upon so many, for so long.

Now it is just me, alone in Mystery lake, accompanied only by the dead--man and wolf alike--and my still-smoking rifle.  I might head back out and harvest the meat, just for the heck of it.  Waste not want not, right?

• Upvote 2

Night 3:  Music and toil.

Aurora time means Music time.  I go downstairs to turn on the radio, and I'm greeted to the melodies of Bach's Goldberg Variations once again.  Once the wolf hides finished curing, it's off to the crafting table.   Many cups of coffee later, and I have a wolfskin coat.  

After a brief stroll down to the lake's edge, to watch the Aurora wolves prowl around, I return home and wait out the clock with Bach.

• Upvote 1

Day 3 was a nice and relaxing day, compared to the last two.

I began the day by breaking down the huge pile of spare clothing I had acquired from my early Day 1 scavenging of CH, plus some assorted pieces from elsewhere. 66 pieces of cloth and 12 pieces of cured leather later... two lockers are now mostly empty! Time to take a nap.

On waking, the only things to repair were my mukluks, both sweaters, and my earmuff things. With those finished, I spent the remainder of the day turning the rest of my arrowheads into arrows, to bulk out my supply. I know that at this point they're completely unnecessary, but... it gives me something to do :D That took up yet another day, so... time for more sleep.

Another new day... time to mix it up some! I used the firestarter I picked up in the coal mine to spark up a fire - only the third fire I've needed to make this entire run! It's going to be a hunting day, so I might as well start off with some protein... so a couple of wolf steaks go on the grill. While they cook, I step outside and see where the closest Meals are patrolling... and surprise surprise, one is cresting the snowdrift on the far side of the road. I wander around in the open a bit until he notices me, then force him to slowly walk toward his doom, lining him up as close to the Quonset back door as I can.

Arrow drawn, and the stupid thing stops moving. Oh well. The dumb ones will probably taste better.

Another wolf hide is added to the floor of the garage, and I make it just in time to pull my steaks from the fire before they burn. I scarf one down, set the other on the desk for later, then collect the remaining 3kg of meat from my latest delivery.

I settle back into Quonset and stir up the fire, setting two pots of water on to boil. I idle away the time, hopping in and out to look at the aurora, but stay relatively close to the safety of Quonset.

No Axe, Prybar, Rifle or Revolver yet but I have 3 Gun Cleaning kits, 48 Revolver Rounds, 17 Rifle Rounds, 
a knife, knife sharpener, 8 flares, flashlight and a Bed Roll.

For heat:
47 Coal,
20 Sticks,
10 books
5 Reclaimed wood,
3 Cedar,
2 Fir,
5 Lanterns and a Jerrycan, 1.44 gal total kerosene,
3 Accelerant,
Plenty of tinder.
Plenty of matches, I just haven't cut any wood or broken up furnature yet.

Medicine:
15 Prepped Reishi tea
12 bandages 
10 bottles of Anti-septic
6 bottles of pain killers
4 bottles of Antiboitics
4 Water purification tablets
3 prepped Rosehip tea
5 Wound dressing
3 Emergency Stimulant

Food:
50 Coffees
28 Herbal teas
6 Candy bars
2 Cat tail stalks
I am going to search for food in PV. So far in PV I have only been to the Gas Station, Community Center, surrounding houses & church and 1 cave.
The community Center is my new base. It took 5 trips to and from the mine to move all of my Coastal Highway loot.

Clothing (All in new-ish condition):
2 Wool Hats, 1 Toque, Balaclava, Cotton Scarf, Wool scarf, Head Wrap, Baseball Cap, 
Wool Shirt, T-Shirt, Thick Wool Sweater, Thin Wool Sweater,
Thermal Pants, Jeans, Cargo Pants, Work Pants, 
Sports vest, Down vest, Windbreaker, Mariner's pea coat,
Work Boots, Trail Boots, Insulated Boots, running shoes,
Rabbit Gloves, Ski Gloves, Work Gloves, Wool mittens, Fleece mittens, Driving Gloves, Handwraps

All of my clothes are around 99% with a few things at 80%. I usually don't repair a clothing until it is 70% or less 
and that brings it up to %100.
I have 9 cloth, 11 leather and 8 sewing kits. 

Now I will go to the Barn First, then Farmhouse second. I want to find some food, a gun, an axe or wool longjohns.
There is a wolf that thinks he's supposed to guard the bridge. If I find I gun then maybe he will become my first pelt XD

But how well will I survive the next few days I wonder.