The 4DoN Experience 2019: What's Yours?

ChubbyBeaver

So I was unable to end Day 1 where I hoped to - tucked safe and sound inside Quonset.

Instead, after carving through ML and picking the choice bits to carry (which is patently against my hoarder mentality!), I decided that I would risk a quick run to MT to score another JOL or two, maybe find a revolver somewhere... but no. Moose hide cloak was a nice find, though the clothing options in the other were wasted - really wanted that revolver, and have scads of ammo for the thing.

Finally make it back up to the Dam in ML, and I have ~15 minutes remaining. I have a stockpile still in PV that could come in handy, but isn't critical... and I have a full load that I'm currently carrying. Do I risk making the trek to PV and getting caught there? Or do I make the hike through the ravine to try and drop this load off?

Bird in the hand, and all that, and I hit the Ravine. It has been far too long since I've come through here, and I completely miss the log bridge. Wind up almost getting stuck trying to mountain goat along the boxcars, when the Day 2 notice appears.

Crap. This just got a whole lot more complicated. And, right on cue, the weather turns to crap.

Luckily, I've put together a decent kit by this point, but I'm hauling ~50 kilos of gear, and this wind is acting like I'm trying to walk across Pleasant Valley. I finally stumbled onto the log bridge and waddled my overweight butt across, stopping during the windbreaks to warm up a bit. In wind, 2 down. Without, 1 up. Good enough for a respite.

I make it back to CH, and this blizzard is still going. My brain says "Hey, it's a blizzard... there shouldn't be any wolves!" Made it barely past the bridge when I hear wolf howls coming from the south.

So much for that bright idea.

There's no cover, as the wind is blowing in from the sea, so I make a quick stop at the train loading trailer to idle warm, and start to consider my route. Not entirely sure what 'increased wolf spawns' means - is it more wolves spawning in the same region (i.e. wolf packs), or is it wolves spawning in random places they wouldn't otherwise. I'm hoping it's just more wolves in place, but I'm assuming that there will be wolves everywhere... so I load up my flare gun and head out. I figure that I can zig-zag my way across the area, moving from shelter to shelter to warm, and may not even see a wolf until I get to Quonset.

Ha.

I goat down the slope, aiming for the closest trailer to warm up and drink some of the spare water I'd stashed there, and as I turn the corner I can barely make out a pair of red eyes right in front of the door. Bark bark, angry growling, and the puppy gets a flare in the face. Yip yip, and it runs off while I step inside, making sure to reload the flare gun as I do.

Some water, and a couple of minutes in my warm-up clothes, and I'm good to go! My next stop is the fishing hut just past the Tooth. Make it there, slowly, with no incident. Warm up again, and now I have another choice to make: do I skirt the coast, risking the wolves on the ice in the blizzard, or do I take the central snowpath, and hope I don't pick up too many along the way?

Snow wins, and I head back out, turning north to hike to the central cabins - again, without incident.

After warming up, I duck back into the storm, and right as I pass the Lookout rock, the weather clears up! Good for visibility... and bad for visibility. As I'm turning to take the southern branch of the trail, I hear the familiar barking of the local meal delivery service. I was able to break LOS briefly by dropping off a rock, but he picked me back up on the other side, so I angled toward the eastern trailer.

Could have just stepped inside, but he is close enough that he can be the first addition to my supplies at Quonset. I wait at the front door of the trailer with my bow at the ready - he charges. Level 0 Archery, don't fail me now! Point blank shot, in the eye. Success!

So now, I'm in the eastern trailer above Quonset, trying to decide the best way to get there with the 3kgs of meat, a hide, and 2 guts that I'm currently holding.

Hey, at least I'm close by, and not at the bottom of the Ravine! :D

• Upvote 1

I got a very, very good place. I'm in Pleasant Valley, and currently hoarding 40 pieces of coal, 129 pieces of reclaimed wood, 20 pieces of firewood, a single firelog (too heavy to carry around tbh), I just got myself 10l of water, I have around 18 candy bars, and unknown amounts of tea/coffee for now. And I'm not even finished with taking apart all the furniture in the homestead AND the basement! 
I also found four caches, 2 in ML, and 2 in PV, with the last, just as I was about to give up, holding a RIFFLE! Yay! (I ONLY got 42 rounds of ammo for that one, though). 
Really happy with how it all went, and I just idled around today, and am starting to boil water now, only 22minutes left of my two hours for today, but I really wanted to go and hunt down a wolf for more food.

EDIT:  ... the Pleasant Valley Farmstead now looks like a Wolf Cemetary.  Killed six, have now (left) 12 kg of meat, time to retire for today. Tomorrow, Glowing Wolf Hunt.

Edited by Skyure
  • Upvote 1

41 piece of coal, 48 rifle rounds, rifle, hatchet, 30 cloth, 8 old man's beard, 38 ibuprofen, 2 pots, 26 candy bars, flashlight.

I'm starting Day 2 in the Trapper's Cabin, so I can plink puppies from the safe-log.  Then I'll make my way to my favorite place on Bear Island, the cave behind the ML cottages for Day 3 and 4.  Should give me beautiful glowing vistas, a safe field of view for chernobyl dogs, and extra-long fire-time during the blizzard (outdoor fire).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DarkTreader said:

Hey, at least I'm close by, and not at the bottom of the Ravine! :D

Man, what a tale! Glad you managed to survive to tell it. :coffee:

Reading other people's experiences, I always end up second-guessing my strategy. Last year, my Day 1 wasn't so great. I didn't have many real-life hours to dedicate to the game, I preferred to explore thoroughly, and ended up barely exploring the whole of Coastal Highway and entering Pleasant Valley right at the end of Day 1. I said to myself, "Next year I want to move faster and explore more of the four regions"… but ended up doing things just as slowly. If I managed to explore/loot 90% of Coastal Highway and 70% of Mystery Lake is only because I put more real-life hours into the game.

All in all, I'm not in a bad place. I have good clothes, a lot of food, some decent pieces of wood, and I'm at Camp Office, which has a lot of breakable stuff in case I need reclaimed wood for emergencies. And you can't imagine the sigh of relief I uttered when I finally found a hatchet literally 10 minutes before reaching a save point and going to bed!

But now I wonder. Last year I chose Pleasant Valley as a territory to move in after Day 1 because it's big and even with more wolf spawns it gave me a bit more freedom of movement. I remember setting base at the Radio Control Hut, which was a bit isolated but gave me a good vantage point… and the bonus of a pumpkin cache spawning right there. Now I'm holed up at Camp Office, and I'll probably have wolves at my door the moment I set foot out of here. I have a rifle, and I would dearly exchange it for a revolver because I'm absolutely terrible at shooting with the rifle. And I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to visit the Cinder Hills Coal mine and get some lumps of coal. If I want to get out of Mystery Lake, whichever region I choose, I'm not close to any exit, so I'll have to prepare for a few furry encounters. I could have stayed inside the Dam, but Aurora Day wouldn't have been pleasant. Or maybe it would have been better to remain at the Trapper's Homestead instead of getting back to Camp Office. Oh well, we'll see.

34 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

41 piece of coal, 48 rifle rounds, rifle, hatchet, 30 cloth, 8 old man's beard, 38 ibuprofen, 2 pots, 26 candy bars, flashlight.

I'm starting Day 2 in the Trapper's Cabin, so I can plink puppies from the safe-log.  Then I'll make my way to my favorite place on Bear Island, the cave behind the ML cottages for Day 3 and 4.  Should give me beautiful glowing vistas, a safe field of view for chernobyl dogs, and extra-long fire-time during the blizzard (outdoor fire).

See, this is a strategy! I've put 350 or so hours into this game, and sometimes I still feel like a newbie. :|

How would I described my 2019 4DON experience? Ten thousand magnifying lenses when all you need is a knife. 😂

I failed to find a single pumpkin on Day 1, even in places I'd found pumpkins last year. Lousy luck. I'm sitting cozy in the PV farmhouse for now, plenty of food and water and a nice stack of skill books to read. I've got enough scavenged deer skins to make boots and pants and I've picked up *two* Cowichan sweaters (a first for me!). Low on wood and no coal, though. Without weapons, I fear a trek to Cinder Hills may prove fatal. Without coal, Day 4 will *definitely* prove fatal. Decisions!

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, ChubbyBeaver said:

Well, I died on day 2. I should have went for the rifle on day 1 instead of halfing it and going to bunker up with like eight candy bars and a bunch of firewood and coal.

I will probably be lucky to survive myself... I sadly wasn't able to find a gun on Day 1, I have plenty of useless bullets though. :/ 

Guest kristaok
8 hours ago, eric4x4 said:

Coastal Highway, the Waterfront Cottages.

Thanks for the heads up, I am a big chicken though... it's day 2 and I am too afraid to leave the Camp Office in ML. :/ 

I started playing at 5am and apart from a few breaks for meals, played straight through until around 10pm.  That allowed me to do a very thorough investigation of every region, and accumulate a total of 79 rifle rounds 71 (useless) revolver rounds, two rifles, two bows, 9 arrows, and multiple flare guns and flare shells a ridiculous amount of lamp oil, and enough candy that my descendants for generations will be born with cavities and type II diabetes.  The ammo I carry with me, the rest of the supplies is still stashed away at a central location on each map.

For gear, I've got a moosehide satchel, wool ear wrap, expedition parka, moosehide cloak, cowichan sweater, fisherman's sweater, two layers of snow pants, two thermal underwear, two climbing socks, rabbitskin mitts, and mukluks.  I can be standing outside in gale force winds and the feels like is still 3C.

Today I started in Pleasant Valley, went back to the CH to gather up the rest of my arrows, and then made my way to ML.  I made the entire trip without engaging a single wolf, but grew tired of my cautious style so I went out and shot 9 wolves today just for the heck of it.  Since the area was clear, I spent some time chopping firewood for the long nights ahead.  (I rarely chop firewood or go on wolf purges in normal play, but since this is a short event I feel much more free to use up my gear!)

15 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

It is at the coast side houses near the crumbling highway.

went all the way back from ML to CL and searched the two house(last 3 houses one burned down, right? no revolver just a john doe with a hatched. where exactly  did u find it?

Day 2 (so far):

Emerged from the eastern trailer in CH to overcast weather - not the body-wrapping fog, but just bleh enough to limit visibility a bit. Decided to approach Quonset from the rear, to minimize the time that I'm in easy view of Portable Meals. Listening as I walk, I hear some howls that I think are coming from the houses across the road from the station, but audio distance is a bit finicky.

As I prepare to slide down the hill, I hear some scraping to my right and the alerted bark-bark-growl. As I look over, I see 1... 2... 4 sets of red eyes appear from around the rock, and unfortunately they're close enough that the first immediately charges.

My flare is just a touch high and sticks to his butt, but it does the trick and breaks up the pack so I can make it down the hill. I reach level ground (thanks, sprained wrist!), and move up to the burned-out shell of a house to listen again. Unfortunately, all I can hear is the yipping and running of the burning pup, so I have to risk the dash with minimal info. This will turn out to be a bad idea, as a wolf and his pal have been patrolling the lot behind Quonset. Stupidly, I forgot to reload, but I have my bow handy - useful now that I won't have to chase the thing across the island to get my arrow back.

I'm able to drop the first as it charges, but L0 archery is sooooo slowwwwww, and the second dives on me. Stab stab, and he runs off, and I'm left with just some bruising and lacerations - not even worth worrying about... thanks, moose-hide cloak!

I finally get inside and dump the haul of gear I've carried back from Mystery Lake and Mountain Town, then duck back outside to grab my arrow and carve up 6 kg of meat, 4 guts, and 2 hides that had dropped near my doorstep - there's another wolf body around here somewhere that I'll have to track down, but that may be a surprise for future me to find!

I drop everything in the garage to cure, and lay out the meat inside as well. Normally I'd use the freezing temps outside to store meat for long-term use, but with 4DON, I'm not planning for long-term, just survival. Taking stock of my provisions, I realize that I'm down to just 2 arrows and 6 flare shells... but I have more stashed in Thomson's Crossing in PV. Have to risk it!

I dump everything that I won't need for the trip to maximize my weight allowance, keeping only my clothes, a couple of candy bars, 2 liters of water, a knife, 2 flares, 4 bandages, my lantern, my bow and 2 arrows, my flare gun, and all of the shells I have. It feels nice to be light again. Slipping outside, the coast is clear, so I mirror much of my path from the previous trek - hopefully these monsters won't respawn that quickly. I make it up to the trailer, and hear howling from the ridge above me, so I can't take the north-east route. So I cross west to the central cabins, and continue around the switchback that takes me up to the coal mine. No wolves!

The coal mine is... the coal mine. Though I do pick up a few pieces of coal that I'd either missed the first time through, or had respawned in the interim. Noice.

Pleasant Valley is... surprisingly pleasant, and clear. Being in a hurry, and carrying next to nothing, I take the fast route down from the mine road... and thank the clear skies, because I can see a couple of grey blobs pathing around in the clearing below me. I aim behind a tree that's most of the way down the slope and post there, watching them wander around... just far enough away to allow me to skirt past them and link up with the road. Another wolf is patrolling this side of the bridge, and is being far less cooperative. He charges, I put an arrow in his back, but he gets at me anyway. Stab stab, and he's now running off. I hike onto a nearby rock to watch him sprint around, because I can't afford to lose the arrow - he thankfully gets caught on the scattered wood piles and drops right in my path to the community center. Arrow retrieved, and moving along!

Inside the center, I scoop up the spare arrows and bow, rifle ammo, and a stack of maple and birch saplings that have been curing for a while. Some spare clothing, as well as scrap clothing that will be used for cloth later pads out the pack, though I decide to leave the skill books behind - time is food and fuel, and I can't waste either of them.

The hike back to the mine is a bit slow, but uneventful. Pretty, though.

20191029113855_1.thumb.jpg.3669f124a5b08091a5a49808cf988f25.jpg

Inside the mine, I scoop up the pile of coal I've accumulated, which puts me heavily overweight. Drink, and drop a scrap shirt, and I'm just below 50. Perfect. Well-fed + Satchel is a wonderful combo.

Back in CH, my trip is almost identical, though the weather decided to get worse. Slide down the hill, stop at the central cabins, stop at the trailer, but this time I walk down the log-marked path. Shouldn't be much left here, as I've only been gone for a few hours by this point, right?

In the fog and snow, I overshoot Quonset just a bit, and as I re-orient, I hear more growling. Won't be able to track if I bungle the shot, so flare gun it is. Luckily, it hits him square in the face, and he goes down. (Side note: The flare didn't stick, it bounced off, but the wolf still died. Impact damage?) Turned out to be a good choice with the flare, because there was a second wolf on the other side of the car that I hadn't seen or heard, but he took off running, giving me a free shot to Quonset.

Where I am now, safe and sound... after running back out to carve meat off of the latest delivery.

Supplies gathered:

Burnables - 54 coal, 244 sticks, 12 fir chunks, 7 cedar chunks, 17 books, 14 reclaimed wood. Additional reclaimed wood will be gathered from breaking down everything in the surrounding houses and outside over the next day.
Food - 36 candy bars, 70 cat tails, 9 kg of venison, 13 kg of wolf, 9 liters of water.
Weapons - 2 bows, 5 arrows, 4 arrowheads, 10 birch saplings, 2 maple saplings, 2 flare guns, 16 flare shells, Rifle + 97 rounds, 71 Revolver rounds (sans Revolver >_< )
Clothes - Need to do some repairs, which should bump some of this up a bit higher.

20191029135316_1.thumb.jpg.5ee07a5d7115484a44fca4f54fc7ab06.jpg

And for Day 4, I have a set of Ski Gloves and Insulated Boots to swap into and maximize the heat... and who knows, with all of the wolves nearby, I may even make a wolf cloak.

• Upvote 1

I am still trying to figure out how the days work. Are they synced with real life days? Like is today day 2, then tomorrow day 3?
It sounds like you guys have a way bigger stock pile than I do. I still haven't made it out of Coastal Highway which is where I spawned in. I haven't found a rifle or revolver yet, but I did find a jack-o-lantern cache with a Flashlight, MRE, Gun Cleaning Kit and Emergency Stimulant and I did manage to loot all interiors in the region. I tried to make it to ML through the ravine but I couldn't see my way through, so I had to retreat. I think I will try to go to pleasant valley through the mine now.
I have 9 candy bars, a fir log, 14 sticks, 12 full coffee cans and 6 full tea boxes. A knife, but no pry bar or axe yet. Considering that day 3 is possibly a blizzard, I think I need wood more than anything else. At least I have some of the warmest clothing, coats and hats in the game in new condition.

I am guessing that a revolver would be in Desolation Point. Don't take my word for it. That is just my guess.

12 minutes ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

I am still trying to figure out how the days work. Are they synced with real life days? Like is today day 2, then tomorrow day 3?
It sounds like you guys have a way bigger stock pile than I do. I still haven't made it out of Coastal Highway which is where I spawned in. I haven't found a rifle or revolver yet, but I did find a jack-o-lantern cache with a Flashlight, MRE, Gun Cleaning Kit and Emergency Stimulant and I did manage to loot all interiors in the region. I tried to make it to ML through the ravine but I couldn't see my way through, so I had to retreat. I think I will try to go to pleasant valley through the mine now.
I have 9 candy bars, a fir log, 14 sticks, 12 full coffee cans and 6 full tea boxes. A knife, but no pry bar or axe yet. Considering that day 3 is possibly a blizzard, I think I need wood more than anything else. At least I have some of the warmest clothing, coats and hats in the game in new condition.

I am guessing that a revolver would be in Desolation Point. Don't take my word for it. That is just my guess.

Yes, the days sync up with real life days, switching over at 11pm PST each day. Today is Day 2, when the wolves come out to play. Tomorrow is the aurora, and the final day is the blizzard from hell.

General consensus is that there may not be a Revolver this year, even though there is ammo for it. The Rifle looks to spawn at one of the JOLs in CH.

And the maps for 4DON are restricted, so no Desolation Point - only CH, PV, ML, and MT (and their connecting locations).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Neromancer said:

went all the way back from ML to CL and searched the two house(last 3 houses one burned down, right? no revolver just a john doe with a hatched. where exactly  did u find it?

It so in that little clearing between houses without a road. It is by a pumpkin.

@Andrey Grebenkov on each day did you make certain that your actual "mission clock" finished it's two hour count down?  Remember that time won't keep counting if you press escape and step away... it only counts active game time.   Just playing for two hours according to a clock in your house doesn't necessarily match up to active game play time...

I know for me my two hours last night took me nearly three real life hours because I kept having to step away to take are of other things.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Andrey Grebenkov said:

Guys, please help me. Is it normal that I played on the first day for a two hours and on second day too, but so far I have not recieve the eclipse badge?🎃🌑

I played about the same amount of time. I did receive the "you survived 2 hours" badge. My advice, don't skip cooking, melting or boiling time. If my needs are met and I have plenty of food, candy and water, I watch the pot boil and spend that time thinking about what I should do and where I should go. This way a lot of real time will pass and I get the badge and gives me better well thought plans. Sometimes I make a bandage or craft some tea powder while the water is boiling. I Just keep keep an eye on the boiling time, crafting time and "feels like" temperature.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, XAlaskan_420X said:

I played about the same amount of time. I did receive the "you survived 2 hours" badge. My advice, don't skip cooking, melting or boiling time. If my needs are met and I have plenty of food, candy and water, I watch the pot boil and spend that time thinking about what I should do and where I should go. This way a lot of real time will pass and I get the badge and gives me better well thought plans. Sometimes I make a bandage or craft some tea powder while the water is boiling. I Just keep keep an eye on the boiling time, crafting time and "feels like" temperature.

Welcome to the "The Long Dark - Real-Time Challenge"

This my first time playing and I am having a grand time. I don't know these areas well so I it's quite the challenge. I spent most of yesterday on a single run, only found 1 cache in CH but decided to try for ML anyway. Went well at first but then I went looking for the caches and somehow ended wandering lost in a blizzard. I'm gonna say there was a spatial anomaly that made all roads lead back to Three Strikes.😋 Died 8 game days into the run.

By this time there were only about 3hrs left so I made a new run and found 1 cache, looted everywhere but the area past the bear park, and ran back to the mine. I'm thinking I will try to hunker down there. Since I mostly play pilgrim I'm a little worried about the wolves so I'm thinking of using a new run to test out the wolves before making another stupid mistake with what is now my main run. I'm hoping maybe I can get far enough into the mine to survive the cold but I"m collecting wood just in case. I like that there is a single approach to the mine and maybe I'll get lucky and be able to shoot doggies from relative safety

Not really knowing the area is it's own challenge. I actually wasted time looking for the church on CH before remembering it's in DP. Only figured it out when I thought just look for the lighthouse. Doh! No lighthouse. Wrong area. :D

I did manage to get the first badge though, so I'm hoping I manage to get the last.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

On topic: I can't but marvel at the progress some people are making here. If suddenly the world ended and the sun went out I'd know who to turn to. :fire: I've only just found my 3rd Jack'o in Pleasant Valley (I got both from Coastal Highway as well). I'm doing fine, I've hunkered down 80kilograms of goodies at the farm including got all the parts for a wolf hide cloak, and I am pretty much impervious to weather, but I want to at least find the other pumpkins. I really like 4DON :D 

Edit: Also.... for a regular loper this. IS. SO MUCH LOOT

Edited by jeffpeng

Day 2: At the Shunned House.

My stay in the Shunned House has been fraught with fantastic terrors hitherto unknown to rational minds... I hesitate even to try and commit this madness to paper, but feel a responsibility.  If I don't make it through this seemly endless night... I feel I must leave this warning should another soul wander in from the dark.  Better they flee with the ravagers at their heels than be trapped here in this horrible house.

That's what I am now... trapped.  The ravagers outside mean to tear & devour my flesh and gorge themselves on my blood; this terrible house meanwhile gnaws at my soul and sanity.  It's clear I'm the intruder here; the house creeks and groans hatefully.  The bowels of the horrid basement reek of the tomb... there is death here.  I felt a tremor in that ominous pit of decay... as if some giant demoniac horror that lay slumbering beneath the house, had stirred.

From the cracks in the foundation came pungent wafts of an unearthly rot and decay.  The dust hanging in the air looked and smelled as if it were in truth some wicked spore.  A kind of white ashy dust had been disturbed by the stirring of the hideous thing below... I feared to breath the horrid stuff.  I covered my mouth and nose securely and tried to steel myself against the rank and rot... but soon I heard a creaking groan much louder than before, that made my blood run cold.

I resolved to only go down into that black acrid abyss again if those demon wolves outside find their way in and force my hand.  Even then, it would only be to escape and flee across the field to the old barn.  I almost wish they would come for me... instead they wait, gathering their ravenous fellows, scratching at the doors and chilling what's left of my spirit and will with their horrible mournful cries.

What must have once served as a master bedroom on the second floor is the farthest I can get from that unnamable thing in the basement... but there is no escape, no real respite, I feel it's horrible presence.  Every nail and board radiates the presence of the hideous thing and it's ravenous hunger.  I can feel it... like a terrible icy claw rending up my spine; and a black abyssal chaos crawling across my mind leaving hideous nightmares and visions of indescribable terrors as I it consumes me from the inside.  

I've spent too long in this darkness, listening to this demoniac house breathing... I could feel my will draining, my soul getting heavy.  So I left the horrible house and faced the ravagers' teeth and visceral hatred.  I've felled five, my aim is true and my weapon reliable.  The bone chilling cold, fog, and snow did drive me back into that fiendish homestead as the other ravagers stalked me.  Still trapped... but not helpless.  I have five of their oily back pelts now, stretched out on the floor in front of the kitchen stove.  I have a horrid, spiteful urge to eat their putrid flesh and wear their skin... now they know their prey bites back. 

The screened porch is my purgatory between the frozen hell of the ravaging demon wolves outside and the soul-hungry maw of this accursed house.  I hear the ravagers at the doorstep... I hear them pawing and scratching... they smell the warm blood in my veins, and they want it.  What's more, I think now they want vengeance as much as they want my flesh.  If you find this... flee, just run... not only for your life but your very soul.  There's a large old barn across the field...  whatever you do just don't stay here or the house will devour you as surly as those ravagers at the doorstep.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
Yes, I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft recently...
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Guest jeffpeng
8 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Yes, I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft recently...

.... and you don't do a half bad impression of it. Nicely done. Also: More wolf pelts in that barn. Courtesy of me. 🤣