The 4DoN Experience 2019: What's Yours?

ChubbyBeaver

I'm not sure if a thread for this sort of thing exists already, but I'm playing 4DoN for the first time and want to share the experience with anyone else playing it.

I think I'm doing pretty good for someone who only plays Voyageur and lived 28 days at max so far.

I've got an expedition parka, and I found a hidden cache. Sucks I've got all this rifle ammo and no rifle yet, but here's hoping!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

@ChubbyBeaver 

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I didn't know how much I missed this event until I had a chance to play it again.  I managed to find 6 Jack-o-lanterns in total so far (searching though 3 regions).  The eerie silence can feel really unnerving (yes there are some ambient noises - but the absence of wolves, deer, rabbits, moose, and bears can absolutely be felt).  The sense of desolation is almost palpable.  The struggle to get warm clothes quickly gave me a real grave sense of urgency... even if I didn't have to worry about being eaten today, the cold was relentless.  I love it. 

I did notice that I've accumulated a good supply of revolver cartridges, but I've not found a revolver amongst the caches - so far.  Was the revolver meant to in some of the cache spawns, or did I lug them around three regions for naught?  :D  Either way, I'm having a blast. 

On of my previous screenshots I shared, I mentioned I wanted to spend my Fright Night at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead...  Well it took me a long time to lug what I wanted over there, but I made it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For the duration of the event, I'm think I'm going to refer to it as... The Shunned House.

[Addendum]
I wanted to add to your thread, but instead of duplicating my previous post... I figured I would just quote it :)
:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
Posted in another thread, but I thought it was appropirate here as well...
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm personally considering spending the duration in the mine, but the downside is I'm ridiculously far from everything else. I'll probably head into Pleasant Valley for really deep cache hunting and stuff, since in my opinion the clearer line of sight and more flat land it has going makes it easier to look for stuff.

• Upvote 1

I play Loper but this is my first 4Don (somehow missed it other years). I take it we all spawn in CH? Loot a few places, including the gas station. Now heading for TWM. Got hacksaw, bedroll and coffee. So many matches! Hope to summit while animals are missing. Quite liking not knowing what will come next.

2 hours ago, Stone said:

I play Loper but this is my first 4Don (somehow missed it other years). I take it we all spawn in CH? Loot a few places, including the gas station. Now heading for TWM. Got hacksaw, bedroll and coffee. So many matches! Hope to summit while animals are missing. Quite liking not knowing what will come next.

It's only CH ML MT and PV

My experience so far:

Took the day off of work (actually not related to 4DON, but a wonderful dove-tail), and picked up my run from last night.

Have so far looted & stashed everything from CH into Quonset, have looted all of PV and have it staged at the entrance to the mine heading back to CH.

Am currently looting the heck out of everything that isn't nailed down in ML, staging at the dam.

I know, Quonset isn't the safest location to bunker up. BUT! It is a great location to get access to TLD's #1 food delivery service, Grey Meals On 4 Legs Wheels! I figure, the ~40 odd candy bars I've collected, the ~80 cat tails, and the piles of burnables I have stashed should be enough to keep me in good shape through the blizzard... but I like padding. A few dozen kilos of wolf steak to go with the dozen kilos of venison I've collected so far should pad me out nicely.

Oh, and @Raphael van Lierop. I both love and hate you.
- I've run into 3-4 containers/cabinets that have 2x Can Openers. TROLOLOLO :)
- Because of you, I scared the hell out of myself last night. Had a power outage overnight. As things were coming back on, I heard a familiar buzzing and flickering noise... in my barely conscious state, I was trying to figure out if the batteries in my flashlight would last long enough to scare off any wolves. Then I heard cars going by. I LIVE IN A CITY >_<

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, cannajan said:

First timer, why bother with a gun if there are no animals?, I was picking up ammo by reflex, but I've dropped it, much happier to find a prybar not that its got me much loot

Pick it back up! The demon wolves are coming!!!! Well, their eyes glow and there is bunches of them...

After a false start, my run is going fairly well. I've found enough clothes to be able to walk around without freezing after 2 minutes. Thankfully I've found a couple of sewing kits, so I could sacrifice the worst clothes to repair the heavier ones. One of the houses in the Coastal Townsite, in particular, gave me a few good-loot items, almost better than what I found at Quonset. And since I've already survived 72 in-game hours by staying hydrated and with a full stomach, I got the Well-Fed buff. I hope I'll manage to keep it, because being able to carry 5kg more is nice, especially when I find a gorram weapon! (Seriously, I have like 50 revolver bullets and 30 rifle cartridges and no weapon in sight, and I've explored 3/4 of Coastal Highway already…)

• Like 2

I managed to totally oog myself out and had to go and put the lights back on.  I found a pumpkin and cache in one place in PV, then another in another place. Yay! Kept exploring because you never know where you'll find candy.... and then I found another pumpkin.....OK, maybe there are three in a region?  Hm, went by the spot where the first pumpkin was and its GONE!!!!!! the stuff I ditched to get the sweet loot in the pumpkin was there, but not the pumpkin.  Right, turned the lights back on. Next thing you know, there will be a wolf riding headless horseman

Edited by Jolan

So far, I'm quite pleased~  Been thru all 4 regions, found each of the two jack-o-lantern caches in Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway and Mountain Town, but I've only found one out of three in Pleasant Valley, sadly.  Have the rifle with ~130 rounds, found the Moose Hide Cloak, Expedition Parka, Rabbitskin Mitts, Deerhide Pants.... and probably 40-50 chocolate bars!  :D Only annoying part is I've found over 170 rounds for the revolver..... and no revolver.  Thinking it must be at one of the two jack-o-lantern caches in Pleasant Valley that I can't find. :( Oh well.... things could be a LOT worse, methinks~  👍

Day 1 is over for me. Explored most of Coastal Highway and a good 70% of Mystery Lake. Setting base temporarily at Camp Office. A few highlights:

First cache in Coastal Highway:

screen_2b2abdb8-0b33-470a-a2e5-54c2186f772a_hi.thumb.png.20372053f35b03988338e2f9060c1e44.png

Yes, this is how I crossed the Trestle Bridge at the Ravine:

807224727_ScreenShot2019-10-29at04_26_47.thumb.png.b2e1aa83e621defffdcda46a6958ccc1.png

I turned the lantern on near the Carter Hydro Dam, and the sign almost startled me!

214752547_ScreenShot2019-10-29at04_50_27.thumb.png.d29f0d80ba4e6ce4f81bfb976cd2cc96.png

Second cache, in Mystery Lake (oh, that dim light of hope…):

screen_a0b70d51-ac5a-472e-9b86-7c7ab6008426_hi.thumb.png.5e0c99c932b903fb4871f283ac22a10b.png

Just a nice night shot of the Lake Cabins:

screen_b44cf8bb-41cb-4391-95bb-3510c0a33392_hi.thumb.png.f901b0d0669e682e01117da48e72330c.png

…And of course, I paid a visit to the Trapper's Homestead, but the loot was underwhelming:

screen_9a285da7-9c6a-465d-9d3e-eb4cc157a1b5_hi.thumb.png.7da62ef3518aba8c76bf58fabc46e354.png

…And now let's wait for the wolves.

• Upvote 2

I looted every house and trailer in CH.  I now have enough coffee to sell to the wolves, so they really get active later on.  Along the way, I found both Jack-o-lanterns in the same places as last year.  I almost took the mine route to PV, but changed my mind, and opted to grab 16 pieces of coal.

With the looting complete, I moved on to ML, just as I did the last time.  This time, however, I chose the Camp office over the Forestry Lookout.  It's much darker, but easier to collect wood. 

After dropping my loot, I'm off to find Jack-o-lanterns.  ...or rather, just one, as I saw and looted one along the way.  I visited the Lookout to loot and get a good view of the old Lookout location, where a Jack-o-lantern was, last year.  It wasn't there, this year.  It was by the current Lookout!  How convenient!

Several wood gathering trips later, I'm ready for day 2.  I have a rifle, good clothes, a flare gun, 2 flashlights, hatchet, knife, plenty of food and wood, amongst other things.  

I am ready.

• Upvote 1