Having Issues since episode three update

ByST7

Just a few days ago while I was playing episode three and I had a cutscene problem and it took two days to find a solution. Nevertheless there are still some issues that I have to deal with. Normally I used to play this game on medium quality settings with no problem but since the last update I cannot even play over 30 fps on low settings. On the other hand I can barely launch the game. Almost two out of three time its crashes. Firstly disclaimer screen appears then I press a key but cannot go on and then an error occurs right away(tld.exe not working). Low fps is my biggest problem here. Even though I launch the game, having low fps makes this game unplayable.

Edited by ByST7

Guest kristaok

First thing, make sure that you are meeting the Recommended Requirements to play The Long Dark. :) https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/the-long-dark/12711

You can also try to "verify the integrity of game files" on Steam in case something happened while updating. 

The issue that you are having could very well be a hardware issue since you had to go from playing on medium to low and so forth.

On 10/28/2019 at 3:01 PM, ByST7 said:

Just a few days ago while I was playing episode three and I had a cutscene problem and it took two days to find a solution. Nevertheless there are still some issues that I have to deal with. Normally I used to play this game on medium quality settings with no problem but since the last update I cannot even play over 30 fps on low settings. On the other hand I can barely launch the game. Almost two out of three time its crashes. Firstly disclaimer screen appears then I press a key but cannot go on and then an error occurs right away(tld.exe not working). Low fps is my biggest problem here. Even though I launch the game, having low fps makes this game unplayable.

Do you have a 34 bit system? Some old processors have stopped being supported, check the most recent dev diary for more specific information if you are being affected by it. 

No, I have a 64 bit system and I'm on windows 10 by the way. And I just added my laptop system informations below here.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60ghz

Memory: 8,00 GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bit

Graphic Cards: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series

Guest kristaok
10 hours ago, ByST7 said:

No, I have a 64 bit system and I'm on windows 10 by the way. And I just added my laptop system informations below here.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60ghz

Memory: 8,00 GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bit

Graphic Cards: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series

4 hours ago, ByST7 said:

According to website that you indicated my laptop meets the minumum requirements and also it meets recommended requirements except for graphic card. As I said there were no such issues until episode three update.

I would say it mostly meets the Minimum Requirements, but I wouldn't say it meets the Recommended Requirements. You stated your Processor is an i5, the Recommended is an i7 so you meet the Minimum Requirements on that. Your RAM is good. Your Graphics Card is close to Minimum, but not Recommended. They give the Recommendations for a reason, it helps things run buttery smooth, but when people only meet the Minimum Requirements things can get rather wonky.

Just like any other game that gets updated, over time the game will require more and more from your PC. Kind of like with The Sims 4 for instance, for the game without all the Expansion Packs etc. people that meet the Minimum Requirements could probably get by with playing it on the Lower Settings, but when Packs and Updates are added it will begin to slow their gaming down. 

The Long Dark is stated to end up having at least 2 more Free Episodes, so if you are having trouble now you may want to look into updating some Drivers, or your PC. 

PS. You could also try doing a CLEAN reinstall just in case. 

Edited by kristaok

14 hours ago, kristaok said:

I would say it mostly meets the Minimum Requirements, but I wouldn't say it meets the Recommended Requirements. You stated your Processor is an i5, the Recommended is an i7 so you meet the Minimum Requirements on that. Your RAM is good. Your Graphics Card is close to Minimum, but not Recommended. They give the Recommendations for a reason, it helps things run buttery smooth, but when people only meet the Minimum Requirements things can get rather wonky.

Just like any other game that gets updated, over time the game will require more and more from your PC. Kind of like with The Sims 4 for instance, for the game without all the Expansion Packs etc. people that meet the Minimum Requirements could probably get by with playing it on the Lower Settings, but when Packs and Updates are added it will begin to slow their gaming down. 

The Long Dark is stated to end up having at least 2 more Free Episodes, so if you are having trouble now you may want to look into updating some Drivers, or your PC. 

PS. You could also try doing a CLEAN reinstall just in case. 

I referred to the website's recommendations as I said I used to play in medium qualities with no problem. Ok game is just updated and my laptop system wouldn't be enough to run the game in medium quality anymore but I assume it should run in low qualities at least. It meets the minumum requirements and it must run. I think there is a something else because low fps isn't the only problem. When I try to launch the game it crashes and stop working. Anyways I'm going to reinstall the game.

Guest kristaok

Clean install may help. I just mentioned that it could be an issue with your setup, because usually low fps is linked to that. Good luck in finding out what's up. :)

Reinstalled and I'm still having issues with launching game. And I can only play on low quality settings. I don't like to play in such quailty but I think I could find a way by upgrading somethings that'd help to play this game in higher settings. Now option of reinstall is eliminated. I'll try my next steps from now on. If this is because of last update I'm afraid my laptop might not even run the game after next update.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi so I play on ps4 and I’ve never really had an issue with frame rates or anything but after this most recent update anytime I enter the Dam my frames just absolutely tank and it’s almost like I’m playing in freeze frames outside the dam I haven’t noticed a performance change at least in Mystery Lake, I haven’t been to other zones yet simply because the frame rate makes me nauseous almost and it makes it difficult for me to play. Sure I could just avoid the Damn but TLD is one of my favorite games of all time, and not being able to go to a certain spot, just knowing that in the back of my head, ruins the immersion for me. If anyone else has had this issue please let me know. It seems extremely unusual because TLD normally runs extremely smoothly and consistently. I’ve been playing over a year and I’ve never once had problems with frames but this new update kinda rekt me and my game lol

Edited by Huntress_Hannah
Additional information
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ..

Ive had this issue too after the EP3 update with my old Gcard (R9 270x)  & I have a similar setup to you with an I5 2500 & 16gb RAM, but im running withlin Linux.

I do not think it is anything to do with the hardware on ure machine, the only possible thing it could be is that your GCard drivers are not fully up to date.  Its possible that the API ure currently using does not support certain functions in the updated game, so I recommend updating those.

You could also try running the game in Win7 compatibility mode ( right click the .exe / then select properties )

Also, if that fails you could try and play around with the launch options within steam > https://appuals.com/steam-set-launch-options-and-full-list/ <

I would try  " -autoconfig " This will help in restoring the video and audio configuration to their default settings for the current hardware which is detected & you could also try switching from dx9 to dx11 or open Gl or Vulkan ( if the API is installed ) https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/2119355556495342911/

If all that fails I think ure best bet would be to set the launch parameters so that it creates a log file of what is going on & send it off to the devs so they can analyze it ... I think the command is " -debug_steamapi " & " -fs_logbins "

But upgrade ure graphics drivers 1st .. that will update the APl's on ure machine n hopefully resolve ure issue ;)

Edited by GCandy77

Just post your output.log! There will be important informations why the game is crashing. At least you will know if it's the graphics card or your memory.

My guess is, that something is wrong with the your graphics driver, too many programs running in the background, or the game is using your onboard card instead of the better one. I'd say it's the second point. Windows 10 is just too heavy and uses too much recources. I mean, playing games on a laptop is a joke anyway, but playing on an slow i5 + using win10?

That's just speculations, please post your output.log.