The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.61 [55716]

Admin

Guest kristaok

No offense to anyone - I am just being honest here... but I don't really care what's legal or illegal when it comes to hunting, for instance if I was a hunter and I owned land I would hunt whatever I wanted when I wanted. Just saying.

Edited by kristaok

Guest kristaok
3 minutes ago, Moll said:

He doesnt check it for me

How do you know that it won't be checked? if you send in a Report or something they more than likely will look into the issue. 

3 hours ago, kristaok said:

I know in real life I wouldn't consider it an exploit to bait and kill something that was going to attack. 

Leaving aside for the moment that real life wolves aren't really all that aggressive and accepting that wolves are murderous beasts: in the game context it's not all that believable that the wolf is laser focused on the meat and ignores you just standing there with a bow. When otherwise he immediately charges you when you draw the bow.

I don't think that wolves should be able to be tricked like that if you stand right next to them. I'd make it about distance. So you could drop a decoy and then shoot a wolf from further away. But if you get too close he ignores the decoy.

I haven't played survival mode since the update, but from what I can gather some people have seen meat teleporting to distant wolves. I hope that that is a bug. If that's the solution to prevent you from getting close to wolves it's a bad one

Edited by Serenity

3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Indeed, in the US State I live in, if you get caught baiting deer or (other wildlife), with corn, or apple piles, or grain piles, ect., you will get a hefty fine, and possibly jail time. Even just having a huge pile of apples on your property, that obviously did not fall naturally can get you pretty big fines. 

In my State it's ok in the off-season. In States particularly high in chronic wasting disease (CWD/"Zombie Deer") it can increase the rate the illness spreads, it also artificially raises the carrying capacity of the environment which can have other detrimental effects. 

I never really used the bait as a hunting technique in the game. By the time I have cooking level 5, bear is a much more reliable and efficient food source than wolf. If you want the pelts before x days you can also use a knife, revolver, or find guaranteed wolf carcasses on the map. I haven't observed how far the range they can grab the meat is so I can't really form my own opinion other than it won't affect (me in particular) that much.

@Raphael van Lierop, did our breath move in 3D space before this hot-fix? If not, I somehow just noticed it and I've gotta say it is both convenient and looks great! Thanks for implementing it!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, we can feed them and fatten them up pre-hunting season, as well as put out salt licks for them. But once hunting season starts... that stuff needs to be gone. Even the salt licks. The Fish & Game Commission slat licks stay out though, even on State Hunting Lands. And they are strict, if they catch you. Deer, wild turkey, rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, whatever. No baiting of any wildlife, unless you are part of a culling hunt, and have a culling permit. Not much culling going on around here, with so many deer dying from Chronic Wasting Disease. Which is a bit of a scary disorder. 

And yeah, I am not a bait hunter in game either. I use bait to give me a chance to get the heck away from wolves in Stalker. I generally don't go looking to draw them closer to me, lol. My playstyle is more avoid/evade. My husband prefers the killer/hunter approach. 

Guest kristaok

I usually try to book it away from the Wolves, but I do love to hunt in the game. So if I feel like I can get a good shot in I will bag a wolf. 

On 10/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Oh, some of what you describe here are bugs. But the idea that you can drop a Decoy, back away to like 20-30m, and get a guaranteed headshot -- that's the part that we removed. That was definitely an exploit, because it was a very low-cost, low-risk (or no-risk) way to get a pretty much guaranteed kill. That's just not how this game is meant to work.

A very nice change. Thank you!  It will change interloper gameplay and force you to take a real risk. 

• Upvote 1