The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.61 [55716]

Admin

Hello community,

We’ve released our first hotfix following the launch of Episode Three - v1.61 [55716]. We’ve addressed a number of issues specific to Episode Three, added Lost and Found boxes to all regions, and fixed the lighting issues some players were experiencing. Lighting should now be closer to what you experienced in Steadfast Ranger. Note: This change list may contain spoilers!

If you still encounter issues while playing The Long Dark please visit our Support Portal.

To stay-up-to-date with news and information about The Long Dark and Hinterland, sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio ).

If you have any other questions or are just curious to know more about the game, please also consider joining our weekly Milton Mailbag Q&A.

Changelist v1.61 [55716]

Gameplay

* Added Lost and Found boxes to all regions.
* Fixed issue that caused animations for crouching, opening drawers, and the swinging of the lantern to play slower than intended.
* Fixed issue that caused animals to clip into the ground when the player sleeps.
* Fixed issue that caused Bears to sometimes spawn under the map.

UI/World/Art

* Fixed issue that resulted in brightness to be incorrectly calculated.
* Fixed visible seams on the Rural Region Houses.
* Fixed Timber Wolves Morale bar resetting if they fled during the Tutorial.
* Fixed missing collision on the Community Hall Sign.
* Fixed stretched texture in the back of the Burnt Ridge Cave.
* Fixed flickering on some rock edges in Pleasant Valley.
* Fixed disappearing snow texture near the Shed in the Rural Region.
* Re-enabled player placed light sources during a cinematic. 

Episode Three

* Subtitle and localization tuning.
* Polish pass through the episode.
* Fixed issue preventing Timber Wolves from transitioning to and from Aurora state.
* Fixed being able to run while carrying a survivor after trying to place them and then opening and closing the inventory. 
* Fixed issue that caused a currently carried Survivor to disappear when manually saving and loading in the Community Hall.
* Fixed issue that caused Molly’s photo to change size after it’s picked up.
* Fixed cinematic playing from an incorrect angle when arriving at the plane crash site from a specific direction.  
* Staggered animation will no longer play when exiting or entering a location, while triggering dialogue.
* Fixed missing collision on some of the plane seats at the crash site.
* Fix to prevent Astrid’s arm from popping into place after closing the Diagnosis UI.
* Fixed rare issue that caused Weather effects and the skybox to disappear after exiting a cinematic.

###END OF RELEASE NOTES###

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRealPestilence said:

You'd think the most important issues would include not being able to light a torch if you have two ignition sources in your inventory or wolves picking up bait they are 100 feet away from...

I'm sure that'll be fixed in the next few hotfixes. Give them a break, Jesus Christ. The issues fixed in this patch were super important too.

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
3 hours ago, TheRealPestilence said:

You'd think the most important issues would include not being able to light a torch if you have two ignition sources in your inventory or wolves picking up bait they are 100 feet away from...

Being a snarky ass doesn't make the hotfixes come any faster.

Re: the Bait issue -- say goodbye to that long-standing exploit. You can no longer just drop bait and get an easy shot on Wolves. You'll have to work for those kills.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 3

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, Admin said:

Fix to prevent Astrid’s arm from popping into place after closing the Diagnosis UI.

9 hours ago, Admin said:

Fixed issue that caused animations for crouching, opening drawers, and the swinging of the lantern to play slower than intended.

Since I don't see the clipping-into-ground issue here, I want to add that I haven't had success reproducing it since 1.61.

not being able to light a torch if you have two ignition sources in your inventory

That's a thing? Can't confirm.

wolves picking up bait they are 100 feet away from

21 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

say goodbye to that long-standing exploit. You can no longer just drop bait and get an easy shot on Wolves.

What's that about if I might ask? 

In general thanks folks for the prompt update fixing the (at least in my opinion) biggest problems. I was literally getting seasick from watching that lantern....

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Re: the Bait issue -- say goodbye to that long-standing exploit. You can no longer just drop bait and get an easy shot on Wolves. You'll have to work for those kills.

Was this considered an exploit?  Perhaps a little in that the wolf would be more focused on the food vs. the player poised with a bow shot a short distance away.

Could this be based upon difficulty?  Perhaps on the easiest settings/level, let the old behavior remain and as difficulty increases, increase the range at which the wolf can "teleport" 😋 the decoy to it's mouth.  Or, the range at which the wolf will forget that savory meal and divert it's attention to the player?

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Before I say anything let me just say I LOVE Episode 3, and I don't mean this what I am about to say in a bad way so please don't jump on to me...

Here goes:

No offense Raph... I hate this new way... I know - I know you aren't going for "realism" or anything... but geee it sure did look and seem more realistic to be able to drop the bait and actually have the wolf eat it. :/ Even if people baited the wolves with meat just to shoot them I don't see how that was such a big deal? I mean that's kind of what hunters do right? many hunters for instance feed deer corn or whatever just to shoot them. 

For me it wasn't / isn't about baiting the wolves to shoot them though, it's just the realism of it all. For instance it always made my heart beat faster to drop the meat and see the wolf come deathly close to me. Now sadly when I drop the meat it disappears, and the wolf flees instantly. Meaning I don't get that heart pounding fear, and heavy breathing anymore. So this change in all honesty seems to make the game easier, like I don't fear the wolves when I drop bait as much if that makes sense.

Plus I am not good with change anyway... it's just a part of who I am. Like I can take some changes I guess, but this change does irk me some. :/ 

Laslty... I just don't want to see this game become too cinched... hopefully this makes sense.

Guest kristaok
8 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Was this considered an exploit?  Perhaps a little in that the wolf would be more focused on the food vs. the player poised with a bow shot a short distance away.

Could this be based upon difficulty?  Perhaps on the easiest settings/level, let the old behavior remain and as difficulty increases, increase the range at which the wolf can "teleport" 😋 the decoy to it's mouth.  Or, the range at which the wolf will forget that savory meal and divert it's attention to the player?

Before this recent update you could bait wolves and when they were eating the meat you could shoot them, yes. 

I must say I miss the old more realistic way, and not because of the "exploit"... plus I don't think it's fair to even call it an exploit though. 

• Hinterland
9 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Before I say anything let me just say I LOVE Episode 3, and I don't mean this what I am about to say in a bad way so please don't jump on to me...

Here goes:

No offense Raph... I hate this new way... I know - I know you aren't going for "realism" or anything... but geee it sure did look and seem more realistic to be able to drop the bait and actually have the wolf eat it. :/ Even if people baited the wolves with meat just to shoot them I don't see how that was such a big deal? I mean that's kind of what hunters do right? many hunters for instance feed deer corn or whatever just to shoot them. 

For me it wasn't / isn't about baiting the wolves to shoot them though, it's just the realism of it all. For instance it always made my heart beat faster to drop the meat and see the wolf come deathly close to me. Now sadly when I drop the meat it disappears, and the wolf flees instantly. Meaning I don't get that heart pounding fear, and heavy breathing anymore. So this change in all honesty seems to make the game easier, like I don't fear the wolves when I drop bait as much if that makes sense.

Plus I am not good with change anyway... it's just a part of who I am. Like I can take some changes I guess, but this change does irk me some. :/ 

Laslty... I just don't want to see this game become too cinched... hopefully this makes sense.

Oh, some of what you describe here are bugs. But the idea that you can drop a Decoy, back away to like 20-30m, and get a guaranteed headshot -- that's the part that we removed. That was definitely an exploit, because it was a very low-cost, low-risk (or no-risk) way to get a pretty much guaranteed kill. That's just not how this game is meant to work.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

Guest kristaok
3 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Oh, some of what you describe here are bugs. But the idea that you can drop a Decoy, back away to like 20-30m, and get a guaranteed headshot -- that's the part that we removed. That was definitely an exploit, because it was a very low-cost, low-risk (or no-risk) way to get a pretty much guaranteed kill. That's just not how this game is meant to work.

Hopefully the meat just disappearing is the bug you are referring to... if so I can handle that, because I at least want to see me actually drop the meat even if the wolf flees instantly. Well okay I would also like them to actually eat the meat, but I could see how that part would be the part where people could head-shot them. 

I am sorry I am just trying to accept that this is how it is... :/ There's just things I guess I have to learn to accept. I just hope if anything I can at least see the meat drop even if the wolf don't actually stop to eat it.

15 minutes ago, kristaok said:

I mean that's kind of what hunters do right? many hunters for instance feed deer corn or whatever just to shoot them. 

It's not legal in quite a few states, idk about Canada's baiting laws but in my state all feed must be gone by hunting season. 

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

I can confirm, I think it has to do with clicking the UI but having to click and hold for the ignition.

For me it works fine. Hu. Strange.

32 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Plus I am not good with change anyway... it's just a part of who I am.

Don't ask me why, but I kinda really liked this sentence.

22 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

That's just not how this game is meant to work.

I would be genuinely interested in how this is meant to work. I haven't played survival since EP3 came out, but I actually wonder how exactly one is now supposed to ever down a wolf on interloper before getting Achery V (and without exploiting terrain). I'm not even against the change. That wolves are so easily routed to their own demise once you know how has bugged me for quite some time. I just wonder if it is actually intended that on loper active hunting of wolves isn't feasible before mastering the bow.

". . .the idea that you can drop a Decoy, back away to like 20-30m, and get a guaranteed headshot -

I thought that was realistic approach, not an exploit.

Please don't make it too hard for us - we might give up.

. . . . . . . . .

I have just tried out v1.61 wolf decoy.  After dropping the decoy the wolf didn't come closer than about 40 metres, then wandered off. That made it safer.  On the third or fourth attempt I shot it with an arrow.  It took a couple arrows as it was about 40m away.

Edited by peteloud

2 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

For me it works fine. Hu. Strange.

With matches AND firestarter in inventory ?

27 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Oh, some of what you describe here are bugs.

So, no more baiting, or at least way more difficult, no more driving deers to wolves (or is that a bug ?) for an easy meal.
Anyway, I'm ok with that, new challenges ! (interloper-like starts will become really hard)

Guest kristaok
24 minutes ago, peteloud said:

". . .the idea that you can drop a Decoy, back away to like 20-30m, and get a guaranteed headshot -

I know in real life I wouldn't consider it an exploit to bait and kill something that was going to attack. 

I hope there isn't too many more changes like this though. I don't want this game to become too cinched. 

• Hinterland
14 minutes ago, TheRealPestilence said:

Being unable to play my all time favorite game for months at a stretch because you either don't test it or don't care it's broken gives me a bad attitude.  I am glad you've let us opt to play old versions though, so kudos for that.

It being your favourite game doesn't excuse this kind of insulting insinuation towards the dev team. You can have a little time-out.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

• Hinterland
49 minutes ago, peteloud said:

. . . . . . . . .

I have just tried out v1.61 wolf decoy.  After dropping the decoy the wolf didn't come closer than about 40 metres, then wandered off. That made it safer.  On the third or fourth attempt I shot it with an arrow.  It took a couple arrows as it was about 40m away.

The Decoy is not meant to be a hunting tool - it's meant to give you a chance to get away from Stalking wolves. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, LkP said:

I would definitively have trust your words, but thanks ;)

Strange indeed.

So it's bug hunting season again..... I like it.

53 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

It's not legal in quite a few states, idk about Canada's baiting laws but in my state all feed must be gone by hunting season. 

Indeed, in the US State I live in, if you get caught baiting deer or (other wildlife), with corn, or apple piles, or grain piles, ect., you will get a hefty fine, and possibly jail time. Even just having a huge pile of apples on your property, that obviously did not fall naturally can get you pretty big fines. 

• Like 2

@Moll
Wow... that's a lot of vitriol for just three sentences.
I don't see a need for anyone to be so mean-spirited.
I mean you just asked Raph to check into something for you... and then it seems you immediately go on to insult him and his entire team?  Not cool.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng

@MollIt's a rare occasion I agree with @ManicManiac on anything, but in this case.... what the freeze doode. Like or dislike, that's everyone's prerogative, but we're actually civil around here even when we don't particularly appreciate something. And you should know that not being an exactly new member ..... Not cool.