Ep. 3 Finished (Spoilers!)

Moll

Well i have finished Ep. 3. I like it very much. I think perfect display of  human tragedy. But i have a few problems, stupid maybe:

1. Molly in general. This character doesnt work for me.  At all. I see her just as way how to save character from start, but anything else. She is cringey and i have to say if i could i would ignore those stupid calls, no care about her stories.  I like Father, good character, but i was really pity i could not visit Molly with a revolver :D No complains about voice acting  or graphic design, its just about the character.

2. Phones is another problem, working electric devices outside of Aurora its just feel breaking. It was unique for Aurora. Now phone lines are working no matter what, because of plot.

Yes, its simple circuitry, no semiconductor parts, but other simple devices, like flash lights, also work only in Aurora event only. I could understand working electricity in mines, because its deep underground, shielded and protected, but working phones, nah. I see it as cheap way to keep player's attention about  Molly.

3. Can we just return Church artifact to Father personally? 

4. Father as NPC should have more "life". Gray Mother and Jeremiah were immobile, or sick, so there is no need for rich A.I. But Father could have some niché additional actions to care about survivors, or life in community center, rather than standing in one place.

Edited by Moll
typos
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Phones aren't electronic. It's not for the sake of plot, it's actually very realistic. A solar flare that powerful would fry all the electronics, but like Molly described, since it's pre-electronics it still works. Also this was revealed in Episode 2. 

• Like 1

Phones are electro mechanic. But like light torch, they work with one or more batteries, which should be depleted and charged only in Aurora event. Those phones described in game are non logic anyway. Phones have rotary dialers, but you call at all receivers in same time. Logic. This setup is shockingly good, when whole system is used by exactly two people (Astrid bullied by old witch no one cares about). Coincidence? No, game cheap logic. Cuz in normal time, system will abuse user with nonstop ringing bells, totally no privacy of calls and waiting for a free line.

episode 2 revealed that, every electric device is dead, except aurora event.

They shouldnt add working phones at all. Its same cancer like Fallout 76 holotapes.

Edited by Moll
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
On 10/27/2019 at 8:04 AM, Moll said:

1. Molly in general. This character doesnt work for me.  At all. I see her just as way how to save character from start, but anything else. She is cringey and i have to say if i could i would ignore those stupid calls, no care about her stories.  I like Father, good character, but i was really pity i could not visit Molly with a revolver :D No complains about voice acting  or graphic design, its just about the character.

I actually liked Molly even though she creeped me out, she reminded me of Annie Wilkes from Misery (which is a Movie I just LOVE!)

2. Phones is another problem, working electric devices outside of Aurora its just feel breaking. It was unique for Aurora. Now phone lines are working no matter what, because of plot.

Yes, its simple circuitry, no semiconductor parts, but other simple devices, like flash lights, also work only in Aurora event only. I could understand working electricity in mines, because its deep underground, shielded and protected, but working phones, nah. I see it as cheap way to keep player's attention about  Molly.

I found this online;

"A traditional corded phone does not require electricity and will continue to operate through an extended power outage."

So those "old phones" WOULD still work in a Power Outage, so the Game is right about that.

3. Can we just return Church artifact to Father personally? 

I don't really mind the way it is now, it would actually make more sense for Astrid to return it than the Father because the Father has to take care and watch over the Survivors.

4. Father as NPC should have more "life". Gray Mother and Jeremiah were immobile, or sick, so there is no need for rich A.I. But Father could have some niché additional actions to care about survivors, or life in community center, rather than standing in one place.

I will admit I would have definitely loved to see more of the Father, but who knows perhaps we will in the future Episodes? I don't know... All in all though I REALLY liked Episode 3, I actually believe I like it better than Episode 1 & 2 and I REALLY LOVED those!

8 minutes ago, kristaok said:

"A traditional corded phone does not require electricity and will continue to operate through an extended power outage."

So those "old phones" WOULD still work in a Power Outage, so the Game is right about that.

Nah, it just means, that corded phone will work, when powergrid for house is out, because phone is powered by separated power integrated into phone line and not from a wall socket (but they still require electricity and in total blackout they will not work either, because no power for phone line/central switch in the area either). However, because it looks everything is out On Great Bear,  it doesnt make much sense. Maybe when its battery operated and batteries are somewhere else and not depleted.

Like i said, autors should stay out of this. You have better ways to tell the story. And eelectricity free world of TLD was much more intereting.

Yes it's unrealistic because a classic phone transmitts the signal via electricity and therefore shouldn't work. But i'm fine that it still works within the game, also within it's inner logic of the Aurora-effect.That all phones ring and only those two use them (especially considering how valuable these phones in that situation would be), is on the other hand a whole diffrent story 😛  

On 10/28/2019 at 11:05 PM, Moll said:

Nah, it just means, that corded phone will work, when powergrid for house is out, because phone is powered by separated power integrated into phone line and not from a wall socket (but they still require electricity and in total blackout they will not work either, because no power for phone line/central switch in the area either). However, because it looks everything is out On Great Bear,  it doesnt make much sense. Maybe when its battery operated and batteries are somewhere else and not depleted.

Like i said, autors should stay out of this. You have better ways to tell the story. And eelectricity free world of TLD was much more intereting.

Ever heard of Bells design? You can research it. You will find out it is possible. Phones were able to work without any external electricity source. Because they were the source.

Edited by diosmio123

I grew up with a party line in rural Oregon and I can attest that the phone line itself has power.  Really low power (not sure of the voltage or current) but it would give you a mild shock if you were saying trying to splice in an additional phone jack.

Though I can make up a hypothesis for why the phone works.  The phone doesn't need very much power to operate.  The event fried anything that has a integrated circuit (an EMP does this) which means most things would stop working (I have a 1970 motorcycle that only has points and a condenser with a flywheel but that ignition system went away in the mid '70s in favor of a CDI).  Anyway, old electronics would continue to work after an EMP but would still need a power source though that does not have to be a battery.  I find it feasible that a large wiring network could have a large amount of capacitance that could be charged by the aurora.  It means the phone usage might not be infinite but under that scenario it could work for a period of time.  And operating a small microphone and speaker would not draw very much power.

even if phone can produce own electricity (like via electromagnetic microphone), so still need aditional power to amplify signal over long distance.

Bells phone have batteries too, like all other historic phone devices. Hand cranked induction generator was only other source of electricity in device, but used only for ringing, because it provides high voltage output so you can feed ringing bell over long distance. Talk signal was at much lover voltage levels, powered by acid batteries so you were limited at range without amplifiers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 10:29 PM, Moll said:

even if phone can produce own electricity (like via electromagnetic microphone), so still need aditional power to amplify signal over long distance.

Bells phone have batteries too, like all other historic phone devices. Hand cranked induction generator was only other source of electricity in device, but used only for ringing, because it provides high voltage output so you can feed ringing bell over long distance. Talk signal was at much lover voltage levels, powered by acid batteries so you were limited at range without amplifiers.

No Sir! Bells phone design was designed without any batteries and was not in need to use batteries. You were able to use this phone without any battery or external electricity sources over long distances. You can research it. I recommend to you.