LOVE the new wolves!

TheEldritchGod

Oh... My... I love the new wolves. YES, Glitchy. looks a little odd... BUT, I will take these glitchy new wolves over the wolves that just walk up to me to allow me to arrow to face these guys. May I make a few suggestions?

Increased wolf fear around dead wolves

I'd love it that AFTER a wolf kill, the corpse has a "scent" that scares off other wolves. You know, they get the point? If one wolf is dead, then chances are they won't do much better?

Alpha wolves

Now that you have the timber wolf pack game mechanics, how about you do this? Most wolves are Beta wolves. 1 in 100 are randomly generated as Alpha wolves. An Alpha wolf can "aquire" a pack when it bumps into a beta wolf. Then they BECOME a Wolf pack! You know the animation when a wolf just stands it's ground and growls at you if you have a torch? The do that. They each approach each other, growl for a bit, then one just make the whining sound, and then BAM, they are a wolf pack!

Oh, if two alpha's meet, they also growl, but then there is a fight for a few seconds, then one is dead.

Wolf Aggression Based On Hunger.

Have all wolves generate at 3.0 meat. As time passes, they lose 0.5 kg of meat a day, meaning 6 days until a wolf starves to death. If the wolf catches and eats something, or you feed it, it's meat goes up. Now you can change this number, depending on the difficulty, but let's say on average, a wolf with a Meat score of 3.0 or higher just automatically runs from humans. So wolves then go eat until they are full, then wander off, being sated for six days. Wolves under say 5.0 will attack bunnies and deer, 3.0 to attack you, and at 0.5, they start moving like they are sick, and when those guys fall over, they leave behind a corpse with nothing to harvest.

Otherwise, love the new code. Beautiful. 4DoN is going to be SO much more fun!

• Upvote 1

I like them too. It's a new level if difficulty and fear. Sometimes they act a little weird - f. e. when you have already scared them off and you follow them the music will start again and they seem to try to attack/chasing you but the red hud overlay isn't appearing and they switch between chasing you and fleeing - but overall they are a nice and welcome addition.

I've also got to say I really like the wolfpack mechanics, a bit wonky sometimes with the animation for changing directions but I've got my pride scuffed, it's almost guaranteed you'll at least take some clothing damage when facing a wolf band. Couple that with the hindrance of carrying someone on your back and you've got a whole new level of feeling vulnerable.

They also look much cooler than the regular wolves, less devil'ish but still fearsome in numbers. I also like how their growling and howling comes at a crescendo from a distance, the old surprise super loud wolf bark was annoying and kinda anticlimatic, the timberwolves announce their arrival by building the tension up. Love it.  Well done Hinterland. :coffee:

Edited by Dan_

2 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I also like how their growling and howling comes at a crescendo from a distance, the old surprise super loud wolf bark was annoying and kinda anticlimatic, the timberwolves announce their arrival by building the tension up. Love it.  Well done Hinterland. :coffee:

The reworked sound files for the bears are cool too. Hinterland did a very great job regarding the sounds. 👍

Concerning timberwolves, implementing them into survival mode seems like the next best thing but they are very likely to upset the game in quite a few ways. Timberwolf packs require you to use resources, which can be both fun or annoying depending on the rate they spawn in survival. What do you do in interloper with just torches on a windy day? Throw rocks to save a match? how many kg of dedicated rocks should an interloper player carry just in case? etc. I think they should be very rare and not in all regions.

Another thread suggested that they start in the region in a heavy loot area and you can drive them off for a long time after killing them all or scaring them off x amount of times. Imagine fighting a pack of 5, then 4 etc down to 2 before they leave for 20+ until they form back up?

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, diosmio123 said:

The reworked sound files for the bears are cool too. Hinterland did a very great job regarding the sounds. 👍

Oh yea I like the new bear sounds for sure!