Four Days of Night 2019

Admin

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Read the text at the top of the page. They tell you what regions we have to play in for 4DoN, there are only 4 of them.

It's literally the first sentence under the big splash screen image...

I must of missed that. No need to be a smartass, thank you though.

• Upvote 1

Excited to play this year! My schedule was too busy last year to participate in 4DON so I'm happy this year is a repeat.

If one is in-game at 11PM PST, does the day roll over to the next one immediately, or would one need to exit and reload to change to the next day?

Okay, so I'm running the 1.56 Hotfix 49966 Galaxy build in Linux. 4DON should be well under way, but the TLD splash screen looks like it always does. Somebody please help, because I missed this last year and was really looking forward to it this year.

EDIT: Aha, perhaps this explains it:

https://www.gog.com/forum/the_long_dark/4_days_of_night

That blows.

Edited by boy_scout_kevin

Not sure if someone has posted this but...

I'm new to 4DON. I just played and died so I'm a little confused about the process.

Day 1: no matter how many hours I sleep it's the middle of the night?

There's  2 timers. 1 that's purple at the beginning of game and has 12 hours ( apprx) on it now and 1 in game. What are they indicating...

Ummm so there's no point in fishing, stones, are even getting a crap ton of cloth...

The mindset is different objective wise?

My first year participating as well, but I've read a lot to make sure I understood what was going on.

All days are going to be night (hence the name, 4 Days of Night), no matter how much you sleep.

There are 2 timers, yes. The big timer that's purple (should have ~11 hours or so remaining) is the time remaining on the day events - day 1 is the mad rush loot grab, where your major hurdles are food and weather. The second timer that pops up in the 'quest' HUD pop-up is the time remaining to qualify for the day's badge.

Correct, there is no point in fishing as it has been deactivated, though stones could still be useful starting on day 2 when wolves are activated.

Cloth will still be useful, as you'll still need to repair clothing that you damage, make bandages, etc.

And yes, the mindset is slightly different than standard survival - it seems like most people try to rush and GET ALL THE THINGS, then hunker down somewhere and try to survive on the single save. Others who are more adventurous (or insane? Unsure which...) will either start a new run each day to get the 2 RL hours, or will nomad it from zone to zone and attempt to survive on the fly.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, Admin said:

Day 1 - Quiet

• Each 4DON region has 2 supply caches (3 for PV), marked by pumpkins. These persist for the entire 4DON event.

So...I just found a 4th supply cache/pumpkin in PV.  Just saying. :)

First one on Skeeter's Ridge, second one southwest of the farmhouse, third by three strikes farm, fourth one just across the river heading from the farmhouse to the big red barn.
Edited by ajb1978

I didn't know how much I missed this event until I had a chance to play it again.  I managed to find 6 Jack-o-lanterns in total so far (searching though 3 regions).  The eerie silence can feel really unnerving (yes there are some ambient noises - but the absence of wolves, deer, rabbits, moose, and bears can absolutely be felt).  The sense of desolation is almost palpable.  The struggle to get warm clothes quickly gave me a real grave sense of urgency... even if I didn't have to worry about being eaten today, the cold was relentless.  I love it. 

I did notice that I've accumulated a good supply of revolver cartridges, but I've not found a revolver amongst the caches - so far.  Was the revolver meant to in some of the cache spawns, or did I lug them around three regions for naught?  :D  Either way, I'm having a blast. 

On of my previous screenshots I shared, I mentioned I wanted to spend my Fright Night at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead...  Well it took me a long time to lug what I wanted over there, but I made it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For the duration of the event, I'm think I'm going to refer to it as... The Shunned House.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

So...I just found a 4th supply cache/pumpkin in PV.  Just saying. :)

Reveal hidden contents

First one on Skeeter's Ridge, second one southwest of the farmhouse, third by three strikes farm, fourth one just across the river heading from the farmhouse to the big red barn.

I just found #5 in PV! 

Sasquatch Cave, if you've played Ep 3

3 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I just found #5 in PV! 

Damn, what riches you must have by now.  I only managed to find 6 spanned across 3 regions.
My hat's off to you sir.  Fortune clearly smiles upon you :) 

...did you happened to find a revolver?  I'm curious if it was meant to show up or not.

Edited by ManicManiac

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

...did you happened to find a revolver?  I'm curious if it was meant to show up or not.

Not yet... I have found two rifles so far however.  One was by a cache on the Coastal Highway, I think it was by

the waterfront cottages, near where the Desolation Point exit usually is

, and the other was actually NOT by a cache.  I just so happened to stumble onto it in the dark, in Pleasant Valley by the

lonely cabins, in the birch forest

I'm hoping ML or MT has a revolver.  I'm hitting up all the bunker spawn points in PV to see if I can score one last haul, then I'm heading to ML next.  My plan is to build up a cache of stuff in each major region, then decide what I want to do next.  Since I know what to expect this year I'm feeling a little less cautious than last year.

@ajb1978
Well, I played about as much as I'm going to be able to in order to get setup for the next three nights... I still want to get out to Mountain Town, but I'll have to shoot my way there and back on day 2 :D 

I want to finish scouring Pleasant Valley as well... now I'm really curious to know if there might be extra treats out there for me as well.

I mean I do have a healthy supply of rifle rounds... but I don't want to push my luck too far.  I still have day 3 to contend with.

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I want to finish scouring Pleasant Valley as well... now I'm really curious to know if there might be extra treats out there for me as well.

I did a pass of PV and didn't find a bunker, but didn't want to spend too much time chasing wild geese so I moved on.  I did find a bunker in ML however, so odds are one spawned in PV as well and I just missed it.  Honestly I'm doing well enough that I don't think missing one bunker is going to matter!  I'm on track to finish ML within the hour, then on to MT.  And then I will have a well-fortified base in every region, and will be on track for a solid Day 2 :D

Okay so I do have to comment. I have a disorder that makes bright, and especially flashing lights or even rapid changes in lighting levels can be really difficult to tolerate and I end up with severe spasms in my face. I was going to try and play night one for as long as I can, but it seems that between my high stress level from real life stuff this weekend and the sensitivity to light, I have to give up early and hope that I don't have to venture out for the next three days. 

My disorder makes trying to use the flares as a light source a real ordeal (which is another reason why I try not to push myself too hard in story and survival mode) a lot of the time. This effect is especially bad when playing at night (and why I almost never travel through the game at that time).

Maybe this is something to consider adding to the accessibility settings?

9 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Okay so I do have to comment. I have a disorder that makes bright, and especially flashing lights or even rapid changes in lighting levels can be really difficult to tolerate and I end up with severe spasms in my face. I was going to try and play night one for as long as I can, but it seems that between my high stress level from real life stuff this weekend and the sensitivity to light, I have to give up early and hope that I don't have to venture out for the next three days. 

My disorder makes trying to use the flares as a light source a real ordeal (which is another reason why I try not to push myself too hard in story and survival mode) a lot of the time. This effect is especially bad when playing at night (and why I almost never travel through the game at that time).

Maybe this is something to consider adding to the accessibility settings?

Post this in a Wish List thread, so it does not get missed by the devs. They are more likely to see it there, as it is likely to get buried in a general thread like this.