Hardest Difficulty Restricts Missions

Dudley Chabilan

Spoiler Warning for some side missions in Episode 3

So I played Episode 1 & 2 on the normal difficulty however for Episode 3 I felt like playing on the harder difficulty since I had gotten better at the game, it goes well until it comes to the side missions. Basically with my playthrough the rope that leads to skeeters ridge didn't spawn in which makes it impossible to get to skeeter's ridge in the new rework, I spent a couple hours circling the mountains trying to find a way to walk to the ridge but couldn't find a way in. I gave up trying to complete Church Artifact because skeeter's ridge is part of that mission. 

The other mission affected was the bunker raid as the backpack with the note didn't spawn in so I couldn't even start the mission, I also found out that one of the books for Tall Tales spawns in one of the bunkers so you can't finish that either.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dudley Chabilan said:

So I played Episode 1 & 2 on the normal difficulty however for Episode 3 I felt like playing on the harder difficulty since I had gotten better at the game, it goes well until it comes to the side missions. Basically with my playthrough the rope that leads to skeeters ridge didn't spawn in which makes it impossible to get to skeeter's ridge in the new rework, I spent a couple hours circling the mountains trying to find a way to walk to the ridge but couldn't find a way in. I gave up trying to complete Church Artifact because skeeter's ridge is part of that mission.

You don't need a rope to get to Skeeter's. From the in-game map, you can take the path immediately north of the farmstead, cross the bridge, then swing wide around the crash site, or you can take the path coming in from the north-east past the prepper's cache/hunting blind area.

Just finished playing through, and didn't have to interact with a climbing rope once.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DarkTreader said:

You don't need a rope to get to Skeeter's. From the in-game map, you can take the path immediately north of the farmstead, cross the bridge, then swing wide around the crash site, or you can take the path coming in from the north-east past the prepper's cache/hunting blind area.

Just finished playing through, and didn't have to interact with a climbing rope once.

Wow really? I spent ages looking for a way in but I should have gone to the forum whilst I was looking because all the videos that would help were showing the rope entry, thanks for the directions. 😀

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Dudley Chabilan said:

Spoiler Warning for some side missions in Episode 3

The other mission affected was the bunker raid as the backpack with the note didn't spawn in so I couldn't even start the mission, I also found out that one of the books for Tall Tales spawns in one of the bunkers so you can't finish that either.

I also have this same issue, neither the body nor the backpack will spawn in Market/Gas Station/Store besides the community house. I would really like to catch that legendary bass, and get the loot in the bunker so i can 100% the episode.

6 hours ago, Dudley Chabilan said:

Wow really? I spent ages looking for a way in but I should have gone to the forum whilst I was looking because all the videos that would help were showing the rope entry, thanks for the directions. 😀

Yeah, the rope is the fastest way to get to Skeeter's, but I tend to try and avoid ropes like the plague. :)
And there have been some map edits throughout that area since those videos were made, so the previous paths may not work the same way. As @xXTacocubesXx mentioned, if you enter the crash site area, you're walled off, so as long as you don't drop down from the seating level of the plane, you're OK.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dudley Chabilan said:

Where is the rope by the way? It's clearly been moved and I couldn't for the life of me find it. As mentioned earlier, it's not needed, but it'd be nice to know.

8 hours ago, xXTacocubesXx said:

Where is the rope by the way? It's clearly been moved and I couldn't for the life of me find it. As mentioned earlier, it's not needed, but it'd be nice to know.

When you get to draft dodgers cabin it should be on the cliffside right by the cabin, it doesn't spawn in so you have to take the walking route.

Skeeter's Ridge has always been approachable from both sides. And that rope is a complete noob trap. The climb is way too long and tiring. You're completely exhausted after it. It's far smarter to go around. The rope is fine to go down, but that's it.

There used to be a shortcut from the wooden bridge to Burned Ridge Cave so you never had to go the long way around, but that's blocked now. But it's not really needed anymore. The connection between the plane crash area and Skeeter's Ridge is only blocked in story mode. In survival mode that bit with the tree blockage in the back is open. Meaning you can very easily walk from the farm to TWM now. 

There is a mountaineer's rope up on Skeeter's Ridge, which you can use to create a shortcut down to Draft Dodger's Cabin, but you must first walk to Skeeter's Ridge the long way.  I like to use the cabin down below and basement up above to stash some food and water, so I can rest up from my climb and pass time until it's the time of day I want, without dipping into my field rations.

You can completely forsake the main questline and do all the side quests first.  If you keep your distance from the priest the dialogue never triggers, and you can go about your merry way with the "Trauma" quest paused in the background until you're good and ready.  That's what I did on my second play through.  The one exception is one of the collectibles is in Signal Hill and you have to advance the main quest to the end to get in there, but all the side quests that provide a reward or unlock a bunker, you're free to complete whenever you wish.  All that extra gear gives you a HUGE advantage.  And when you finally get access to the plane crash, you can head back up there whenever you want to grab up all that loot.

(I really wish we could heat up those airline meals by sticking them next to a fire...)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

There is a mountaineer's rope up on Skeeter's Ridge, which you can use to create a shortcut down to Draft Dodger's Cabin, but you must first walk to Skeeter's Ridge the long way.  I like to use the cabin down below and basement up above to stash some food and water, so I can rest up from my climb and pass time until it's the time of day I want, without dipping into my field rations.

You can completely forsake the main questline and do all the side quests first.  If you keep your distance from the priest the dialogue never triggers, and you can go about your merry way with the "Trauma" quest paused in the background until you're good and ready.  That's what I did on my second play through.  The one exception is one of the collectibles is in Signal Hill and you have to advance the main quest to the end to get in there, but all the side quests that provide a reward or unlock a bunker, you're free to complete whenever you wish.  All that extra gear gives you a HUGE advantage.  And when you finally get access to the plane crash, you can head back up there whenever you want to grab up all that loot.

(I really wish we could heat up those airline meals by sticking them next to a fire...)

Found that out when I got to Skeeter's Ridge. I was like OHHHHHHHHHHH...

48 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Carolina Reaper? 

Nupe.

I do like habaneros for flavor and heat in my chili, and for the habanero pepper jam I used to make. 
I am silly like that, but not crazy like reaper fans, lol.

😬

Not only am I that kind of crazy, I'm growing my own :D  But I digress....

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think this might be related. Are we suppose to find anything in a cave behind the waterfall?

I got a pointer that there might be something relevant there, but the cave doesn't have anything in it. So, unless someone has been leaving notes on lumps of coal that quest progression isn't going anywhere. I looked around the waterfall for any other cave and there is nothing. The green backpack on the ground is empty.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, tulkawen said:

I think this might be related. Are we suppose to find anything in a cave behind the waterfall?

I got a pointer that there might be something relevant there, but the cave doesn't have anything in it. So, unless someone has been leaving notes on lumps of coal that quest progression isn't going anywhere. I looked around the waterfall for any other cave and there is nothing. The green backpack on the ground is empty.

Yes, there is something very handy behind the waterfall! But, you have to go through the water to get it. There's a path around the right side that should allow you to go for a dip. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cullam said:

Yes, there is something very handy behind the waterfall! But, you have to go through the water to get it. There's a path around the right side that should allow you to go for a dip. 

Oh thank you! They talked about the cave, so, I've assumed it was some hidden niche in that cave, though, funnily enough I had looked around the area too. I should have expected HRV trick. :)

On 10/31/2019 at 2:52 PM, cullam said:

I went right through that waterfall, thinking..."Man, if I had a *spoiler* this episode would roll so much easier and I DID find just that and I couldn't believe my eyes! I thought for a second I was losing my mind :D

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Muestereate said:

I can't for the life of me say what convinced me to try to through the waterfall. Some other game or some other episode or some real life stuff or some subtle but telling clue. This was great storytelling right here.

Waterfalls hiding stuff behind them is a cliche/trope that's used in all sorts of media. I however, don't mind tropes and cliches if done well since they must exist for a reason. 

On 10/26/2019 at 9:27 AM, Serenity said:

. And that rope is a complete noob trap. The climb is way too long and tiring. You're completely exhausted after it. It's far smarter to go around. The rope is fine to go down, but that's it.

I disagree, but only for Ep. 3

Going around will almost guarantee you a run in with timberwolves.

If I can avoid that, I do.

-t