The new Inventory UI for v.192

Ryan CM

I hate it. Looks like Windows 8 with all those extra GUI boxes that I don't need. I want detailed lists dense in information in ASCII, like Dwarf Fortress. But what your customers really want is a machine gun to promote the wanton destruction of wildlife. We will need hundreds of rounds of ammo to kill dozens of bears so we can surround our base in bear blankets to repel wolves. Maybe a line of bear rugs to and from our rabbit snares like a red carpet... but brown.

After roughly 20 game days I like it. Combining wear/ drop/ repair/ harvest all in the same box is terrific.

This is the part I like. I think the improved presentation and organization of the information is top notch. I also like the paper graphic backer behind it, giving a sort of "note" look to it. Has the team considered going from a % based presentation to condition description based, such as Excellent, Great, Good, Poor, Bad, Wrecked... etc vs the 90-80-70-50-30% we have now?

Keep in mind folks, this is the second "revamp" of a UI function--take a look at the First Aid panel. Notice anything? They're doing everything in steps and I suspect by release everything will have a very similar look to how both the First Aid and Player Inventory currently "look and feel".

Personally, I love it--with the few recommendations and critiques myself and another user mentioned in the feedback post two days ago.

After roughly 20 game days I like it. Combining wear/ drop/ repair/ harvest all in the same box is terrific.

This is the part I like. I think the improved presentation and organization of the information is top notch. I also like the paper graphic backer behind it, giving a sort of "note" look to it. Has the team considered going from a % based presentation to condition description based, such as Excellent, Great, Good, Poor, Bad, Wrecked... etc vs the 90-80-70-50-30% we have now?

What I like about percentages is that you can tell exactly how much your tools are degraded by specific activities and how much clothing has degraded in a blizzard. I wouldn't want to lose that useful insight for making decisions.

In general I really like it. The only place I really miss the old list is getting undressed for bed I used to be able to use arrow keys to rapidly move through the list.

If there is going to be a graphical interface like the new inventory I'd like to be able to double click on it to perform default actions:

- clothes put on or take off.

- food eat

I have a few, minor problems with how the UI reacts to certain actions. I would prefer consistent behavior.

For instance:

Eating -> Gets you out of the inventory completely

Reparing-> Takes you back to the same Item and action (ready to repair again)

Harvesting-> Takes you back to the inventory

Minor design flaws:

* The amount is hard to read on certain items / slots - or for any number greater than 9.

* The icon for food. That actually confuses me sometimes, because it does not look like any kind of food or bottle.

* On a similar not: The star for durability / condition. I think of "Favorite" if I see a star.

Actual bugs:

If you have exactly one wooden match, it still says "Wooden Matches", without any indicator of how many you have.

Personal taste:

I would like it to see the stats of my clothing without clicking on it. It's finicky comparing cloth items.

Overall, the new UI is a big improvement :)

It's an improvement in some parts, so good stuff :)

now the annoyances

- when you go into repair mode, you have to click on cancel when you want to do your next thing.

Intuitively I am clicking on a different item, because I want to repair that item. Should be possible.

- harvesting tinder plugs on newspaper... where is the harvest-all button gone, me sad panda ?

It's an improvement in some parts, so good stuff :)

now the annoyances

- when you go into repair mode, you have to click on cancel when you want to do your next thing.

Intuitively I am clicking on a different item, because I want to repair that item. Should be possible.

- harvesting tinder plugs on newspaper... where is the harvest-all button gone, me sad panda ?

Noticed this as well.

After being eaten by super-wolves for several times now, I can say I generally like the new GUI update. The item icons/boxes could be a bit smaller (to fit more of them at the screen at a time), but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Same here - those two things are my biggest problems with the new UI, actually. Both are really unnecessarily slowing down the inventory management, with no gain in any other field.

Overall, I do like the new UI. Visually it's better and you can see at a glance the items you have under each category, you don't need to scroll down anymore etc. Apart from the harvesting-cancel issue mentioned a few posts earlier, I noticed that when you've cooked a tin of pork and beans for example, when you come back to the food list, you have to search which tin that has been cooked. If you only have one tin that's ok but not when you have multiple tins. Maybe a little graphic or something to bring our attention to the Hot, Opened food item? That would be very helpful.

Found the harvest all

Same here - as soon as I've started a new game, after posting here, I've noticed those arrows. Silly me :D Still, a "Harvest All" button would be nice, and there is even space for it, right next the amount arrows.

I also agree with Joopsie - a graphical indicator (an icon in the corner or a different background color would be enough) for indicating "hot" and "open" items would be nice. Other statuses - like wet, for example - could be marked in a similar fashion.

Well I'll jump in here.

I like how the inventory looks for sure. I think the ability to see a solid amount of information about each item at a glance is a big improvement from before. I definitely like knowing what all my gear is at that quickly, and I also really enjoy the fact that harvest/repair/drop and what not is all on the same screen now, which I think is much slicker and definitely the way it should be.

I agree with the others problems wise, the fact that you have to cancel out after doing a repair is annoying, and the harvest all set up is a little annoying. I think a button to harvest all would be nice, that was I don't have to click the arrow seven times to harvest my seven newsprints, just a "harvest all".

I noticed this yesterday. Specifically for the Black Bear meat, I notice that it doesn't indicate if the bear meat is raw, it just says Black Bear Meat. When it's cooked, it says Cooked Bear Meat. This is not consistent with how the other meats are shown. Usually the condition of the meats are shown in brackets, eg. (Raw) or (Cooked). I don't think this can be considered a bug, main reason why I didn't put this in the Alpha Bug Reports area. This is probably just a naming issue and should be able to fixed quickly. So perhaps this can be fixed in the next hotfix. Thanks!

What I like about percentages is that you can tell exactly how much your tools are degraded by specific activities and how much clothing has degraded in a blizzard. I wouldn't want to lose that useful insight for making decisions.

Good point.

I have a few, minor problems with how the UI reacts to certain actions. I would prefer consistent behavior.

For instance:

Eating -> Gets you out of the inventory completely

Reparing-> Takes you back to the same Item and action (ready to repair again)

Harvesting-> Takes you back to the inventory

Minor design flaws:

* The amount is hard to read on certain items / slots - or for any number greater than 9.

* The icon for food. That actually confuses me sometimes, because it does not look like any kind of food or bottle.

* On a similar not: The star for durability / condition. I think of "Favorite" if I see a star.

Actual bugs:

If you have exactly one wooden match, it still says "Wooden Matches", without any indicator of how many you have.

Personal taste:

I would like it to see the stats of my clothing without clicking on it. It's finicky comparing cloth items.

Overall, the new UI is a big improvement :)

I agree on the star, they need to think up a better uphemism. The numbers are also too small to read double digit quantities. Please make bigger.

One thing that has changed with the new UI is when you go to put on / take off clothes when going outside / inside, you can no longer quickly go through the list using the arrow directional keys.

I would have my mouse on "wear", and then go through the list clicking quickly for speed changing. Now I have to click on the square and click on the wear button individually.

Although I like the UI, this is a pain. What about being able to make a set, that can be put on in one go? You could make it so that you need to find a locker to be able to do this, like hanging all your clothes nicely.

Because a clean camp is a safe camp!

• 1 month later...

i really like it. its much easier to navigate and find what you are looking for without having to scroll down as much. i only wish that even more items of same condition could be combined together under the same spot (cup of coffees or tea, flares, torches..)

Archived