Wolves can't catch Deer?

UTC-10

Since the episode 3 update, I have seen four instances where a wolf was unable to catch a deer. A couple might be the deer outruns the stalking wolf, but in some the deer and the wolf were running at full speed. Even when the deer did some crazy turns (i.e. evasive maneuvers?) the wolf was completely unable to catch it.

This last one, the wolf agroed. Chased the deer at full speed across the field NW of the farmhouse, crossed the road, went up a hill to a rock outcropping, and when I caught up to them I took a screen shot of the deer and wolf running, but not moving, in the manner shown. I shot the deer which died and the wolf then scampered off in fear mode. 

I don't know if this was working as intended or a bug or something but I did report it on the chance it was an actual problem. Note: I know about previous instances where animals get stuck but the wolves not catching the deer is getting me extremely frustrated. 

20191023223448_1.jpg

Well that certainly sucks. Hopefully they sort this out soon because I like to make use of 2-for-1s whenever I can.

Slightly related: Has anyone noticed an issue with baiting wolves? I had several situations on the ice in CH where I had an unimpeded path to the wolf, get him to lock on to me, drop my bait and back up, watch him do the "bait trot approach", and then suddenly disengage like I broke pathing by stepping inside something. It's very weird, and kind of annoying. I mean, I live off of bear and deer mainly, but sometimes I need to kill these suckers and this is making it really difficult.

1 hour ago, jhickie said:

Well that certainly sucks. Hopefully they sort this out soon because I like to make use of 2-for-1s whenever I can.

Slightly related: Has anyone noticed an issue with baiting wolves? I had several situations on the ice in CH where I had an unimpeded path to the wolf, get him to lock on to me, drop my bait and back up, watch him do the "bait trot approach", and then suddenly disengage like I broke pathing by stepping inside something. It's very weird, and kind of annoying. I mean, I live off of bear and deer mainly, but sometimes I need to kill these suckers and this is making it really difficult.

Been a few reports of it on the Steam forums, one person saying the hotkey does not work to drop bait, but dropping from the radial works, And a few threads where people are saying the wolves seem to "teleport" to the decoy, or are taking it while they are a distance away from it. I have not tested it yet myself, and have not had a chance to run a deer into a wolf in my new Survival game I started for testing purposes today.

If it feels like a bug @jhickie, report it on the Support Portal.  It sure sounds like one to me.

• Upvote 1

I kind of like that the prey can give the predator a run for their money. :D 
I've seen rabbits lead wolves on an extended chase but they caught it in the end.  Even before the update I've seen instances where deer have managed to get away from the wolves and I always thought it was nice touch. 

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I've seen the same thing happen. I was walking through the field in the middle of PV where you can see really far on a clear day. From all the way at the big gate near the Barn almost to the little hay storages on the other end, near the river, a Timberwolf was chasing a deer at full speed and didn't catch it. I lost sight of them and was kinda busy carrying ... stuff, so I didn't investigate. It stuck with me though because it was such an unusual sight.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2019 at 5:39 PM, jhickie said:

Yeah, I've had this happen a few times so far.

Just have to write after just playing:

I saw a wolf chase a deer for a couple minutes, near the barn and the chase was so long it is hard to describe in any detail, before going out of sight.

I did see a wolf kill a rabbit, then after that the wolf agroed on another rabbit and then proceeded to chase the rabbit as far as the bridge over the river, maybe 200-300 yards, before they went out of sight. 

These cases were not stalks where the deer or rabbit runs a distance while the wolf moves with a purpose. In both these cases, the wolf was going full tilt, actually catching up to the deer and rabbit as they fled, but then never actually catching them.  I watched as the deer did a "instant" change of direction and the wolf then lumbered into a turn to follow, falling behind, and even then the wolf would catch up to the deer and be snapping at its hooves to no avail.