On Molly (SPOILERS)

GothSkunk

I was hoping for a way to hide this behind a spoiler tag, but since it doesn't look like I can, I've just added a spoiler warning in the title. You should only be here if you've completed Chapter 3.

Molly.thumb.jpg.07ca1d2f398d48f80a806244e43f1880.jpg

Apparently resented her marriage, but stayed in it because she'd rather not be alone.

Implies husband was abusive, but never gets into specifics.

One day just snaps, and watches wolves kill him.

Is now alone.

Astrid comes along.

Is happy to have company in the house now, especially another woman.

Seems rather insistent that Astrid stay in the house; locks her in both before going out to hunt, and after getting angry for Astrid assuming she's married.

Tone of voice takes an ever-so-slight change when Astrid speaks of Will. Sounds disappointed that Astrid didn't leave Will to die like she did her husband.

Hunts Blackrock Prison escapees for sport.

Calls randomly on the party line. Finds comfort in talking and confiding to Astrid. Likes the company.

Before Astrid goes to the mine to leave Pleasant Valley, asks about Will. Asks if he's "one of the good ones."

Lady is a bona fide Misandrist.

Edited by GothSkunk

remind me in the start of the Stephen king novel, but I must say, she is like.. um go in the basement, and theres a corpse there.. not even hidden... and its like ummm ofc I noticed, And if the wolfs had the man, they would not let a prey go so it would not be a whole not bloody person laying there in the basement. it would be a little more well.. mutilated, but oh well. and then when she went back to the house when you went outside to get in the barn her felt a bit weird, why did I not see her.. its not that far to walk,  its a blizzard , she would not wander off the rope so for me that was a bit unlogical. . I must say the whole Molly story line was rather creepy ... but at least she took care of the prison persons.. so am happy for that.. 

It just occurred to me that her husband could have been a prison inmate. There was, in fact, orange fabric found in the upstairs bathroom. Could have been from a prison jumpsuit.

Husband could have been among the escapees from the prison bus. Being familiar with the area, he might have tried to get back home, only to find himself being chased by wolves. Molly could have seen him, run out with her rifle instinctively, and then just decided to let them have him.

But yeah, I was definitely getting strong Cathy Bates vibes from her, as well.

• Like 1

I thought there'd be some dramatic ending where she'd come  and save me after being surrounded by a large pack of wolves......at her own peril.  Or even better, for her to hunt me with her bow and arrows as I try to reach pleasant mills or w/e it's called. 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:21 AM, GothSkunk said:

I was hoping for a way to hide this behind a spoiler tag, but since it doesn't look like I can, I've just added a spoiler warning in the title. You should only be here if you've completed Chapter 3.

Molly.thumb.jpg.07ca1d2f398d48f80a806244e43f1880.jpg

Apparently resented her marriage, but stayed in it because she'd rather not be alone.

Implies husband was abusive, but never gets into specifics.

One day just snaps, and watches wolves kill him.

Is now alone.

Astrid comes along.

Is happy to have company in the house now, especially another woman.

Seems rather insistent that Astrid stay in the house; locks her in both before going out to hunt, and after getting angry for Astrid assuming she's married.

Tone of voice takes an ever-so-slight change when Astrid speaks of Will. Sounds disappointed that Astrid didn't leave Will to die like she did her husband.

Hunts Blackrock Prison escapees for sport.

Calls randomly on the party line. Finds comfort in talking and confiding to Astrid. Likes the company.

Before Astrid goes to the mine to leave Pleasant Valley, asks about Will. Asks if he's "one of the good ones."

Lady is a bona fide Misandrist.

You forget that you find an exploded rifle in Molly's house, which would suggest that she tried to save her husband, but the rifle exploded...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GothSkunk said:

Given everything she says to you over the phone, and that she went out hunting with a perfectly good rifle, I disagree strongly that it suggests anything of the sort.

You seem to forget that she had an armory in her basement. Isn't it possible that she had more than one rifle? If that's not the case, please explain me why the exploded rifle was even there?

On 10/23/2019 at 5:21 PM, GothSkunk said:

There is a thread that tells you how to do that, but it is a bit difficult to find. (In a place you might not think to look.) Third Pinned thread here: https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/forum/68-general-discussions-misc-topics/

20160718073605_1.jpg.a88f798393dbb100573ce92d15d9ec24.jpg

Hi. Don't mind me... 

Edited by ThePancakeLady

Guest Paphalophagus

Also, don't forget the piece of orange cloth. That might lead one to consider an inmate might have come into play somehow.

5 minutes ago, Paphalophagus said:

Also, don't forget the piece of orange cloth. That might lead one to consider an inmate might have come into play somehow.

Spoilers.

She was hunting them for sport. If you do the BlackRock prison sidequest, the prisoners are actually desperately trying to get out of the valley cause they are being hunted by "somethin'"

However, it could suggest her husband was a prisoner as well. 

She also ignores a man frozen in a car that looked way less far gone than Astrid. His skin was still pink, most corpses you find in the game looked a lot more like Astrid.  

Lady might be a misandrist but her killing the prisoners might be the only reason Astrid was able to survive Pleasant Valley long enough to didcover how to get to Perseveremce Mills. Besides from saving her from hypothermia of course.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

There is a thread that tells you how to do that, but it is a bit difficult to find. (In a place you might not think to look.) Third Pinned thread here: https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/forum/68-general-discussions-misc-topics/

Hide contents

20160718073605_1.jpg.a88f798393dbb100573ce92d15d9ec24.jpg

Hi. Don't mind me... 

I expected to find pancakes hidden behind this spoiler. That I didn't was disappointing, but an albino moose is fine too.

• Like 1

While all this does pretty much explain Molly and her background fully, there is one thing that I'm still confused about a bit....

When you go into the weapons locker to grab the revolver, it only has 5 rounds out of 6 in it.  Kinda makes me think she watched the wolves bite and rip her husband apart while she watched on and then just took one shot into him to finish him off.  Thoughts...?

For the most part, I was actually pretty okay with Molly until I pieced it together that it was HER killing off the Blackrock escapees, and for sport, too. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:20 AM, stapeliad said:

Well, we can say we have now all had the experience of being in the middle of urgent business interrupted with a random phone call from a messed up lady saying she wanted her husband to die and he did. 

I’m not joking when I say that had already happened to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

i know this is a long shot, but in episode 2 during the "lake gunshots" quest you meet a forest talker who is afraid to leave his cabin because his friend was shot and killed.
we know molly makes her way to Milton on her hunting trips and to do so shed have to pass through mystery lake. could it be possible she was the one who shot the forest talkers friend. then depending on whether you took the ammo from the bag could she have been the one to kill the man with her bow? 

both were male and she has a clear distrust as she is a misandrist, could she have killed them?

1 hour ago, haydenthebrave said:

we know molly makes her way to Milton on her hunting trips and to do so shed have to pass through mystery lake.

That's a very long distance to travel to hunt especially if you're carrying everything back by hand.  There's also a number of road blocks in the way of that theory, so I really don't think that's the case.  The most direct route is through the collapsed dam where the only way through is to use an elevator that isn't even receiving power.  Will has to flip the breaker in order to enable the elevator to make a one-way trip to the lower dam.  And we know that happens after the radio transmission from Will that Astrid hears, so we know it was impassable when Molly found Astrid.  So from Molly's side, she can't get to Mystery Lake via the Dam until after Will came through.  Not to mention the fact that the elevator quits working after Will uses it.  So that rules that route out.

One could argue she reaches Mystery Lake by way of the Raven Falls Ravine...but no one in their right mind would make an unnecessarily dangerous tightrope walk across that damaged section of trestle when they have ample hunting opportunities MUCH closer to home.

As the only roads leaving the region are completely blocked, and the two paths by which she could get to Mystery Lake are essentially impassable, she wouldn't be making it to Milton at all.  What seems to make the most sense is that there's some as yet unknown region connecting Milton directly to Pleasant Valley, bordered by Milton to the west, Mystery Lake to the south, and Pleasant Valley to the east.  Most likely Astrid passed through this unknown region and entered via the Long Curve.  And since we know Pleasant Valley is prone to geographic changes due to earthquakes, it's completely plausible the road by the Long Curve was blocked after Astrid made her way through.

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

That's a very long distance to travel to hunt especially if you're carrying everything back by hand.  There's also a number of road blocks in the way of that theory, so I really don't think that's the case.  The most direct route is through the collapsed dam where the only way through is to use an elevator that isn't even receiving power.  Will has to flip the breaker in order to enable the elevator to make a one-way trip to the lower dam.  And we know that happens after the radio transmission from Will that Astrid hears, so we know it was impassable when Molly found Astrid.  So from Molly's side, she can't get to Mystery Lake via the Dam until after Will came through.  Not to mention the fact that the elevator quits working after Will uses it.  So that rules that route out.

One could argue she reaches Mystery Lake by way of the Raven Falls Ravine...but no one in their right mind would make an unnecessarily dangerous tightrope walk across that damaged section of trestle when they have ample hunting opportunities MUCH closer to home.

As the only roads leaving the region are completely blocked, and the two paths by which she could get to Mystery Lake are essentially impassable, she wouldn't be making it to Milton at all.  What seems to make the most sense is that there's some as yet unknown region connecting Milton directly to Pleasant Valley, bordered by Milton to the west, Mystery Lake to the south, and Pleasant Valley to the east.  Most likely Astrid passed through this unknown region and entered via the Long Curve.  And since we know Pleasant Valley is prone to geographic changes due to earthquakes, it's completely plausible the road by the Long Curve was blocked after Astrid made her way through.

thanks for finding those flaws, i knew itd be a long shot just couldnt find em myself.

there is a road that leads from milton the pleasant valley. you just cant access it in game, if you go to the cave bewteen milton and mystery lake you can see down the side of the mountain and across to a stranded lorry, on a road which clicked in my mind to be the one connected to the collapsed tunnel. upon looking at the geography on the island it appears to be the one connected to long curve.

here is a map depicting where the road roughly is, it bisects an unnamed region from milton to pleasant valley.

here is also an image from the milton side of the cave connecting milton and mystery lake, you can see the lorry, and upon the hills plane. but most importantly the road connecting the two regions.

InkedMap_World_v1-64_Eng (3)_LI.jpg

TheLongDark 3_31_2020 5_47_03 PM.png

Edited by haydenthebrave
posted before finished
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, haydenthebrave said:

here is also an image from the milton side of the cave connecting milton and mystery lake, you can see the lorry, and upon the hills plane. but most importantly the road connecting the two regions.

A while ago I used the world map as a reference, and resized/rotated the regional maps to fit using rivers and lakes as points of reference.  There is actually quite a bit of room where a new region could fit, according to the orientation and scale of the individual regions.

frankenstein map.JPG

• Upvote 1

ah thank you for that, there is a substantial enough spot for a new region, maybe well see it in the future? though i doubt it with both possible entrances to the road blocked.

so that out rules my theory. would've been interesting, but it is far, faarrr more plausible that this is the route molly took. and that long curve collapsed after she got Astrid back, didn't she say Astrid had been out for a couple of days?

that solves the issue of how she got to Milton, though it does seem like a loonggg way to walk all for a hunting trip when there are plenty of viable spots almost literally on her front porch, maybe she got a tip that was where the prison bus crashed and was out "hunting" for any prisoners she could find. more plausible perhaps? 

6 minutes ago, haydenthebrave said:

that solves the issue of how she got to Milton, though it does seem like a loonggg way to walk all for a hunting trip when there are plenty of viable spots almost literally on her front porch, maybe she got a tip that was where the prison bus crashed and was out "hunting" for any prisoners she could find. more plausible perhaps? 

I don't think Molly made it to Milton at all.  Rather, I think Astrid made it out of Milton, through this hypothetical region, and arriving in Pleasant Valley.  Molly was hunting in Pleasant Valley and found Astrid near death.

As for how Astrid could survive a couple days with her lousy starting gear....plot armor!

22 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I don't think Molly made it to Milton at all.  Rather, I think Astrid made it out of Milton, through this hypothetical region, and arriving in Pleasant Valley.  Molly was hunting in Pleasant Valley and found Astrid near death.

As for how Astrid could survive a couple days with her lousy starting gear....plot armor!

if you review the first minute ish of ep 3 molly finds Astrid in the snow outside a collapsed tunnel. i always took that for the other side of the collapsed tunnel in Milton, or you could say the other side of the collapsed tunnel is in this new region.

i just visited long curve as i couldn't remember what it was, tunnel or landslide? but it is landslide, meaning that Astrid must've been either at the Milton tunnel, or a new tunnel in this new region we are unaware of, im sticking with the Milton tunnel for now.

you also pointed out how Astrid probably couldn't survived in her "lousy starting gear" (great description :P) for a number of days.

i recon she was outside of the Milton tunnel, being too injured and cold to progress she collapsed in the snow, only for molly to find her when she was out on an exploit.

EDIT: looking over the footage the hills also seen very reminiscent of those on the Milton side of the tunnel 

Edited by haydenthebrave
adding additional information

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Actually it I once made it from Broken Railroad all the way almost through the ravine with the starting gear in interloper and  it is entirely possible to get further and Astride actually has pretty good starting gear so, it's entirely possible that she could go from the crash site, to Milton, to the collapse, to pleasant valley.

7 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Actually it I once made it from Broken Railroad all the way almost through the ravine with the starting gear in interloper and  it is entirely possible to get further and Astride actually has pretty good starting gear so, it's entirely possible that she could go from the crash site, to Milton, to the collapse, to pleasant valley.

wow, thats quiet the challenge.

though as for where molly found Astrid, whats your opinion on that?