Collectibles in Episode 3

Sceh

Let's pool our knowledge about those collectibles ...

that you need for the Forest Talker side quest. So far I've found one on the upper floor of the Barn and one in the Radio Tower. Another one where I don't remember the location, might have been the new hut next to Point of Disagreement. Still missing the other 3 though.

I'd also appreciate some pointers for the Tall Tales side quest. I've found the books for the Sasquatch (LOL btw, that was so great!) and the Ghost Stag. Missing two more it seems.

I can't in good conscience finish the main story without getting those.

• Upvote 1

You found the 3 Tall Tale books that I did. So far, I've only found 2 of the 6 other notes that are out there.  I know one was in the Crossroads Store, but i can't remember where the other was.  I think one was in a shack on the way to the plane crash.

Really ticked at myself for not marking them as I go.  I'll post here when I find more.  (I still have to go to the radio tower.)

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Everything seems to be along the main path as you go through everything. 

I guess the question I have is at what point do I need to have everything before it's too late? I only have 1 survivor left for the community center. 

Edited by Sashamorning

What details I can remember, as I've gotten them over time throughout playing.

Tall Tales Books:
Sasquatch - Don't recall, maybe in the Community Center?
Misty Cave - Think this may have been in the store across from the Community Center?
Ghost Stag - IIRC, this was in Draft Dodgers, on a shelf.
The Big One - First Joplin Cache, maybe?

I know that my starting path was Molly's House -> Molly's Barn -> Farmstead Barn -> Houses around Thomson's Crossing -> Community Center -> Convenience Store -> eastern road to Derelict Cabins -> Misty Cave -> Hunting Blind -> Plane -> Draft Dodgers -> Molly's House -> Community Center -> Joplin Caches & Blackrock.
Based on the pickup sequence (THANK YOU, HINTERLAND! :D ) in the items list, I got them in the sequence:
After Rosary - Sasquatch, Misty Cave
After IDs - Ghost Stag
After first Convict Note - The Big One

image.thumb.png.f3b1b5c04dba2eab7302f9449864861c.png

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

Great thread. What I know is

Sasquatch book - Bathroom Community Center
Pleasant Valley Collectable 2 - Room next to the entrance of the Community Center

Cave Book - Store on the counter in the store

Hatch #1 location  - Body on the floor in one of the houses around Community Center (opposite site of road I believe - also store?)

1 document + next hatch location - Hatch #1

The Big One location + hatch #3 location - Hatch #2

Ghost stag book - Draft Dodgers

Forest Talker document #2 - Barn (upstairs)

What I am missing is the first document (non-forest-talker). Can’t find it, makes me mad because I assume that it must be somewhere in the beginning of my journey.

Edited by indianajonas
Adding locations

11 hours ago, Sashamorning said:

I guess the question I have is at what point do I need to have everything before it's too late? I only have 1 survivor left for the community center. 

I don't the answer as I'm not done with the episode myself.  But...

The survivors are a side quest -- I finished that with no change to the main quest.  The main quest step I'm on is gathering supplies for the community center prior to a big storm (sort of like the Whiteout challenge).  I'm holding off turning in the last supplies until I've cleared up all the side quests I have, in case the storm is the end of the episode.

16 hours ago, Sceh said:

Let's pool our knowledge about those collectibles ...

Reveal hidden contents

that you need for the Forest Talker side quest. So far I've found one on the upper floor of the Barn and one in the Radio Tower. Another one where I don't remember the location, might have been the new hut next to Point of Disagreement. Still missing the other 3 though.

I'd also appreciate some pointers for the Tall Tales side quest. I've found the books for the Sasquatch (LOL btw, that was so great!) and the Ghost Stag. Missing two more it seems.

I can't in good conscience finish the main story without getting those.

Re: Radio Tower

I've been right around the zone to every building, prepper cache and named location -- even most cars, trucks, outbuildings, and caves.  The Radio Tower is still locked for me... obviously I missed something.  Any hints? :)

Edited by Ruruwawa

29 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Re: Radio Tower

Obviously I missed something. Any hints? :)

Just progress in the story (Story Missions). 🙂

By the way: The Game lets you know when the point of no return comes. So do not worry. 

Any idea where to find the Pleasant Valley Collectible #1 (non Forest Talker, I have all Forest Talker notes and all History of Pleasant Valley notes.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indianajonas said:

Just progress in the story (Story Missions). 🙂

By the way: The Game lets you know when the point of no return comes. So do not worry. 

Any idea where to find the Pleasant Valley Collectible #1 (non Forest Talker, I have all Forest Talker notes and all History of Pleasant Valley notes.)

Thanks!  I guess that experience of playing Ep.1 over and over to try to get the achievements left its mark. ;) It's good to know the point of no return is obvious. 

I also have not found Forest Pleasant Valley Collectible #1.  Nor PV History #1, although I have 2 and 3 for both sets.

So I've played the episode all the way to the end today and I can confirm that every collectible and every side quest trigger can be found along the way of the main and side quests as long as you keep your eyes open. The only letter that was not super-obvious and easy to find was

hidden behind a ventilation shaft cover in one of the bunkers, probably the very first one.

This time around I thought the hunt for them was also better designed than in Ep 1 and 2 because you never had to backtrack through 3 friggin' regions because you forgot something somewhere. Everything was kind of "along the way", really well done Hinterland!

The game will warn you twice (once in the quest discription and once with a pop up message) when you have reached the point of no return.

Good hunting!

• Like 1

Also, the game actually rewards you for doing the side quests early on before tackling too much of the main story line, because some of the loot you get as a bonus is AMAZEBALLS and helps out tremendously later in the episode, what with the wolves and the weather etc.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sceh said:

Also, the game actually rewards you for doing the side quests early on before tackling too much of the main story line, because some of the loot you get as a bonus is AMAZEBALLS and helps out tremendously later in the episode, what with the wolves and the weather etc.

Yep.  I chose to do the side quests ASAP, and I really felt rewarded for it.  Got some nice stuff to make the journey easier.

I was missing the "local's side of the story" Forest talker note #1 until about 10 seconds ago, when I finally found it

tacked to the bulletin board of the store in the Rural townsite.

I'm glad I finally found it too because it was the LAST thing I needed to accomplish, and

the nonstop blizzard at the end of the episode (Edit: it eventually did end as I was getting ready to make my final push)

really makes "needle in a haystack" searches of buildings I've already explored that much more aggravating!

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 4

I swear I've looked through every building I've been in, and I only have:

1 Forest Talker

1 Local

3 Tall Tales (Deer, Sasquatch, Glowing Cave)

I'm pretty sure the 2 notes were in the store and a bunker.  I'm pretty sure I got one of the Tall Tales near the Point of Desolation.

I'm feeling frustrated because although I'm pretty sure the collectibles really are on the main path and I think I've been looking for them pretty carefully, I have 5 to go before I finish the episode.  I'm ready to go there, but I'm going to need to scour the valley before I can go there.

Any other suggestions?  I'm starting to backtrack now.

Local #1 is in the Thomson Store tacked to the bulletin board.  Thanks @ajb1978!

Local #2 is in the Community Center in the room on the right on the desk as you walk in.

Local #3 is in the Radio Tower on the 2nd radio table.

Forest Talker #1 is at the Three Strikes Homestead in the back part of one of the sheds.

Forest Talker #2 is on the second floor of the barn in the back right corner on the floor.

Forest Talker #3 is in the grate in the bunker near Skeeter's Ridge.  The bunker mission is found in the backpack next to the corpse in Thomson's Store.

Local Legends - The Lost Cave is found on the counter in Thomson's Store.

Still looking for that last Tall Tale.  I don't even know what it is.

Edited by Sashamorning
  • Upvote 1

OK I'm enclosing this whole thing in a big fat Spoiler post.  If you're playing this episode for the first time, please please PLEASE ignore this.  The satisfaction of finding everything for yourself is paramount!  But if you're on your second or third pass and just cannot find a thing....you're the target audience.

So once again, if you are not on your second or third pass through Episode 3, please do not expose this spoiler.  Because this is the spoiler to end all spoilers.

Not terribly organized, but the location of every quest object.

Clues about Molly: Exploded Rifle in the living room, Photo with husband in the office, Orange Cloth in the upstairs bathroom.
Blackrock Penitentary Memo: On the body of a dead prison guard on the main road just east of heartbreak bridge
Blood-stained Convict Note: Opens the Blackrock side quest.  Found on the body of a convict in a barn south of where the Blackrock Penitentary Memo was found.  (Follow the blood trail from the guard's body.)
Forest talker Collectible #1: Three Strikes Farmstead, next to the supply cache in the barn with the deer carcass.
Forest Talker Collectible #2: Pleasant Valley outbuildings (red barn) Upstairs
Forest Talker Collectible #3: Laying on the bed of the first bunker in the Bunker Hunt quest line.
Local Legends: Sasquatch - Community Center Bathroom (Reward: Wolf Coat)
Local Legends: The Lost Cave - Rural Crossroad Store, sitting on top of the radio on the counter (Reward: Moose Satchel)
Local Legends: The Ghost Stag - Draft Dodger's Cabin, on the bookshelf. (Reward: Rabbitskin Mitts, in the backpack next to the snow shelter.  Deerskin Boots recipe awarded automatically.)
Local Legends: The Big One - On the floor beneath the vent in the second bunker found during the Bunker Raid questline. (Reward: A 15kg bass, or nothing but your own satisfaction if you let the lunker loose.)
Forest talker Bunker Memo: Opens the Bunker Raid quest. In the backpack of the dead forest talker, rural crossroads store. Good loot in all bunkers, and a jackpot of clothing in the third.
Joplin's Journal, Part One: Advances the Bunker Raid quest.  Found hidden in the vent of the first bunker.
Joplin's Journal, Part Two: Advances the Bunker Raid quest.  Found hidden in the vent of the second bunker.
Pleasant Valley Collectible #1: On the bulletin board behind the counter in the rural crossroads store.
Pleasant Valley Collectible #2: Community Center, Office
Pleasant Valley Collectible #3: On the table in Signal Hill (must advance the main quest to gain access).
Convict Note: On the prisoner by the Forest Cave, NE of Pensive Pond
Church Flyer: Opens the Church Artifact quest.  Found tacked to the wall near the entrance.
Dioscenes Report: Advances the Church Artifact quest.  Found on the podium in the church.
Thank You Letter: Reward for completing Church Artifact quest.  Found to the right of the altar on a shelf with a candle.  Reward: Rabbit skin hat, on the floor below the note.
Pleasant Valley History, Part One: resting on a bookshelf near the entrance of the church.
Pleasant Valley History, Part Two: On a table in the cabin just east of the Point of Disagreement.
Pleasant Valley History, Part Three: On a metal shelf in the basement of the burnt down house on Skeeter's Ridge.
Newspaper Clipping: Draft Dodger's Cabin, on the floor next to the suitcase.
Undelivered Letter: Draft Dodger's Cabin, in the suitcase.  Advances the Church Artifact quest.
Convict Cache Directions: Found in the dead convict's backpack at the entrance to the Hilltop Cave during the Blackrock side quest.
Passenger Manifest: On the body of a pilot, near where you find the survivor.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

OK I'm enclosing this whole thing in a big fat Spoiler post.  If you're playing this episode for the first time, please please PLEASE ignore this.  The satisfaction of finding everything for yourself is paramount!  But if you're on your second or third pass and just cannot find a thing....you're the target audience.

So once again, if you are not on your second or third pass through Episode 3, please do not expose this spoiler.  Because this is the spoiler to end all spoilers.

Not terribly organized, but the location of every quest object.

Hide contents

Clues about Molly: Exploded Rifle in the living room, Photo with husband in the office, Orange Cloth in the upstairs bathroom.
Blackrock Penitentary Memo: On the body of a dead prison guard on the main road just east of heartbreak bridge
Blood-stained Convict Note: Opens the Blackrock side quest.  Found on the body of a convict in a barn south of where the Blackrock Penitentary Memo was found.  (Follow the blood trail from the guard's body.)
Forest talker Collectible #1: Three Strikes Farmstead, next to the supply cache in the barn with the deer carcass.
Forest Talker Collectible #3: Laying on the bed of the first bunker in the Bunker Hunt quest line.
Local Legends: Sasquatch - Community Center Bathroom (Reward: Wolf Coat)
Local Legends: The Lost Cave - Rural Crossroad Store, sitting on top of the radio on the counter (Reward: Moose Satchel)
Local Legends: The Ghost Stag - Draft Dodger's Cabin, on the bookshelf. (Reward: Rabbitskin Mitts, in the backpack next to the snow shelter.  Deerskin Boots recipe awarded automatically.)
Local Legends: The Big One - On the floor beneath the vent in the second bunker found during the Bunker Raid questline. (Reward: A 15kg bass, or nothing but your own satisfaction if you let the lunker loose.)
Forest talker Bunker Memo: Opens the Bunker Raid quest. In the backpack of the dead forest talker, rural crossroads store. Good loot in all bunkers, and a jackpot of clothing in the third.
Joplin's Journal, Part One: Advances the Bunker Raid quest.  Found hidden in the vent of the first bunker.
Joplin's Journal, Part Two: Advances the Bunker Raid quest.  Found hidden in the vent of the second bunker.
Pleasant Valley Collectible #1: On the bulletin board behind the counter in the rural crossroads store.
Pleasant Valley Collectible #2: Community Center, Office
Pleasant Valley Collectible #3: On the table in Signal Hill (must advance the main quest to gain access).
Convict Note: On the prisoner by the Forest Cave, NE of Pensive Pond
Church Flyer: Opens the Church Artifact quest.  Found tacked to the wall near the entrance.
Dioscenes Report: Advances the Church Artifact quest.  Found on the podium in the church.
Thank You Letter: Reward for completing Church Artifact quest.  Found to the right of the altar on a shelf with a candle.  Reward: Rabbit skin hat, on the floor below the note.
Pleasant Valley History, Part One: resting on a bookshelf near the entrance of the church.
Pleasant Valley History, Part Two: On a table in the cabin just east of the Point of Disagreement.
Pleasant Valley History, Part Three: On a metal shelf in the basement of the burnt down house on Skeeter's Ridge.
Newspaper Clipping: Draft Dodger's Cabin, on the floor next to the suitcase.
Undelivered Letter: Draft Dodger's Cabin, in the suitcase.  Advances the Church Artifact quest.
Convict Cache Directions: Found in the dead convict's backpack at the entrance to the Hilltop Cave during the Blackrock side quest.
Passenger Manifest: On the body of a pilot, near where you find the survivor.

Please refresh my memory... the "second bunker"... is that the Abandoned Prepper Cache near the rope to Timberwolf, or one of the others?

Edit: Got it.  It's the one just south of Molly's Barn.  Thanks!!

Edited by Sashamorning

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 4:51 AM, ajb1978 said:

Thanks for being more specific on this one item. All the spoilers I've come across says...."the barn....the barn". Well...there's Molly's "Barn"...and then there are the "Pleasant Valley Outbuildings".... First I thought I was bugged cos I've been to "the barn" twice now. But finally reading this thread....it's the Outbuildings (which I incidentally have been to but obviously missed it...and so...researched it...but got diverted to "the barn" again.... ) Finally....a result. Detail detail...

On 10/25/2019 at 3:18 AM, ajb1978 said:

I was missing the "local's side of the story" Forest talker note #1 until about 10 seconds ago, when I finally found it

Hide contents

tacked to the bulletin board of the store in the Rural townsite.

I'm glad I finally found it too because it was the LAST thing I needed to accomplish, and

Reveal hidden contents

the nonstop blizzard at the end of the episode (Edit: it eventually did end as I was getting ready to make my final push)

really makes "needle in a haystack" searches of buildings I've already explored that much more aggravating!

THANKS A LOT ajb1978! That was exactly me, just missing that last note for hours and very annoyed at the thougt of the "needle in a haystack"... until luckily i saw your post :)

Blah blah spoilers y'all know what you're getting into with this thread by now.  Not gonna bother with the tags.

In Hardcore Survivor difficulty, the Joplin Bunker Raid quest does not start in the Rural Store.  That corpse, and the backpack that goes along with it, instead spawns at the Derelict Cabins.  Which of course is patrolled by a pack of wolves, so choose your path carefully.

Once the quest starts, it seems to play out same as the other two difficulties.