peepercreeper

(EP 3 SPOILER) carying carcasses

Recommended Posts

so you guys noticed that you can carry people in wintermute in episode three, right?

so why not be able to do that with wolf carcasses or maybe deer carcasses (i get  that they are alot heavier than a person but we could also drag them)

the script is already in the game so with a little adjusting a lot can be accomplished.

  • Upvote 4
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah nothing better than carrying a deer weighing anywhere from 125 to 300 pounds IN SNOW while it leaves a blood trail behind... scent indicator 3+++

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cr41g said:

yeah nothing better than carrying a deer weighing anywhere from 125 to 300 pounds IN SNOW while it leaves a blood trail behind... scent indicator 3+++

Well carrying the Survivors from a "crash" could also leave a blood trail behind, and the survivors would have also weighed 150lb+, so I don't really see your point in this....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why would you carry a survivor that you hadn't triaged first.. the amount of blood loss would be negligible to nil compared to the amount that comes out of a fresh kill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I get @Cr41g's argument about the scent .... well let that be the players decision. If you want to paint a target on your back for the convenience of dressing up your kill at home .... your choice. Carrying 15 pounds of meat raw meat gets you new friends quickly, too, so why not take the whole package in one. I can see how that makes sense with small-ish animals. Not so much with bears and moose :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would have to change the weight vs. movement speed formula to allow the player to move at all while carrying a whole deer.  As it is, it would just serve to plant the player in place... and then I can just hear the discussion taking this sort of turn:  "If I can moved with 70 kg deer on my back regardless of the additional 30 to 40 kg in my rucksack, why can't I carry that much weight just in my rucksack/"  I would prefer they shorten the time to quarter a deer to make it quick enough that more people would use that if the weather is threatening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 4:12 PM, peepercreeper said:

so you guys noticed that you can carry people in wintermute in episode three, right?

so why not be able to do that with wolf carcasses or maybe deer carcasses (i get  that they are alot heavier than a person but we could also drag them)

the script is already in the game so with a little adjusting a lot can be accomplished.

That is definitely something I would love to have. Especially for wolves, and possibly deer if only for a short distance. At the least I would like it if we could drag a reasonable weight of carcass to an area shielded from the wind if not completely indoors. Perhaps in combination if dragging a deer, they could introduce having it be something that attracts predators to the location if you are able to bring it indoors.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 7:23 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

They would have to change the weight vs. movement speed formula to allow the player to move at all while carrying a whole deer.  As it is, it would just serve to plant the player in place... and then I can just hear the discussion taking this sort of turn:  "If I can moved with 70 kg deer on my back regardless of the additional 30 to 40 kg in my rucksack, why can't I carry that much weight just in my rucksack/"  I would prefer they shorten the time to quarter a deer to make it quick enough that more people would use that if the weather is threatening.

Make it use stamina, about a fourth of the amount of stamina that running takes and make the carcass be automatically dropped if you run out of stamina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to carry a person was very likely a game-play decision for story mode.  It just glossed over whether Astrid could actually physically carry a person.  

The issue of being able to move an animal carcass was addressed by the act of quartering a carcass which allowed a carcass to be split into bags that could be carried (i.e. within the existing game mechanics). That's almost certainly not going to change significantly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this idea ... we have mechanisms for limited stamina activity (climbing or running, we eventually can't run any more) ... I'd imagine dragging a deer carcass would deplete it quickly, a wolf carcass hardly at all (heck a wolf weighs less than a person on average), and you couldn't budge a moose or bear. 

I'm not sure that dragging a carcass should have the same scent penalty as carrying hacked up parts ... I mean, as Han says, 'And here I thought they smelt bad on the OUTSIDE' (which brings up a macabre idea of an 'improvised shelter' inside a bear / moose).

I'm not sure it'd be viable to transport the carcass all the way back to one's base of operations, but relatively short distances to cover from the wind, so you can setup a fire and break the animal down without risking an uninterruptible hypothermia result.

As I see it, dragging would be slow and stamina intensive, but have low scent ... quartering would be heavy with a moderate scent penalty ... full butchering would be lightest but with the highest scent penalty ... so you get to choose, do you have the time, do you have the protection from wildlife, etc.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now