What happened to the map/navigation feature?

zaggy

So I remember in earlier builds there was an icon in the tab menu that wasn't implemented. Then it got removed as part of UI clean up. Quite a bit of time passed since then and I am wondering if we are to ever get this implemented? Was it scrapped altogether or is it simply delayed?

Some ideas:

-you can find a notebook and a pencil and once you obtain them you can start mapping your surroundings. A map wouldn't be available to you unless you already explored the location. Slowly you will be able to map the entire region down with all key locations marked down as points of interest.

-you can find a compass separately which will allow you to see your current location on the map as well.

-there could be a navigation skill which when leveled enough will allow you to set a location on your map and then see a direction arrow in your hub pointing towards the direction you need to go to. The higher the level of your skill the more efficient the route.

-there could be new achievements for 100% mapping all areas in the game.

What do you guys think?

I think that having an accurate and reliable map available would take away some of the mystery of exploration, as well as the feeling of certain areas as you get to know them by travelling through them, stopping at certain places to rest, hunt, etc.

On the other hand I do think it would be a great addition to have specific and limited "environmental" maps be available at certain places in the game. What I mean by that is that there should be objects (like a brochure from a gas-station or a map pinned to the wall of the forester lodge, etc.) that show particular representations of the landscape and topography while not "giving everything away" or making things super clear and boring.

To give a precise example, there could be a findable object that is a brochure advertisement for the campground in coastal highway (this is just an example of course). It would include a map giving "directions" to the campground. This map would not be to scale and would only include the features necessary for a motorist to identify and locate the campground. I.e. it would show a section of the highway, the turn-off to get to the campground, perhaps the site of one or two specific landmarks, etc. Sorry if I'm not describing this very well, but this is a pretty common type of map--quick, diagrammatic, the kind you'd sketch on a paper napkin while giving your friend directions to someplace.

[...]

On the other hand I do think it would be a great addition to have specific and limited "environmental" maps be available at certain places in the game. What I mean by that is that there should be objects (like a brochure from a gas-station or a map pinned to the wall of the forester lodge, etc.) that show particular representations of the landscape and topography while not "giving everything away" or making things super clear and boring.

To give a precise example, there could be a findable object that is a brochure advertisement for the campground in coastal highway (this is just an example of course). It would include a map giving "directions" to the campground. This map would not be to scale and would only include the features necessary for a motorist to identify and locate the campground. I.e. it would show a section of the highway, the turn-off to get to the campground, perhaps the site of one or two specific landmarks, etc. Sorry if I'm not describing this very well, but this is a pretty common type of map--quick, diagrammatic, the kind you'd sketch on a paper napkin while giving your friend directions to someplace.

great idea! :-)

Maybe maps like this could also be found on dead bodies with information of hiking routes and stuff like shops, motels ...

Archived