First time challenge question

Deseoso

So I am just doing one of the challenges for the first time and it is taking much longer than I expected. Unlike Wintermute, there doesn't seem to be a save option. Do I have to complete the challenge in one session? I hope not as I have been on it for hours and am only half way through it. Anyone?

Nevermind. No need to answer. I am done with the challenges. What a total waste of time. Hours wasted for nothing. I was doing the challenge where I had to get to the top of Timberwolf Mountain. I started off in Mystery Lake, spent hours there gathering supplies and clothing I would need to get to the mountain. Finally I was ready to go so I headed off and made it all the way to the Rural Houses in Pleasant Valley. I took the road north and then took the side road which crosses the northern part of the map. The intention was to follow that road all the way to the Point of Disagreement and then take the road leading up to the Timberwolf Mountain area.

Half way along that northern road a strong blizzard hit so I took shelter in one of the Derelict Cabins and built a fire out of the wind to warm up at. I decided to pass one hour of time and the game suddenly puts up the message "Challenge Failed"!! WTF!! No warning, no explanation!! I was at full health, not hungry, not thirsty, a bit cold but sitting right next to a fire with 3 hours worth of wood on it.

There is one thing that annoys me more than anything with a game and that is when it wastes my time. There is nothing from that experience that makes me want to repeat it. The devs really need to sort that out if they want to keep players. I don't mind dying from a mistake I have made, but dying because the game glitches out and decides I failed for no reason. That is something I cannot tolerate. Time for another break from TLD I guess.

Wow!! For anyone who hasn't done the challenges before, I have to say that that is so badly shown. I just fired up the game again and started up the Hopeless Rescue challenge. Nowhere on the challenge selection page does it tell you that you only have 7 days. Once you pick the challenge it goes to a page with a more detailed description of what you have to do. It doesn't tell you on that page either that you only have 7 days and when you get in game there is nothing that comes up to tell you you only have 7 days.

I know what someone will say, "It tells you you have 7 days in the objectives page once the challenge has started." I didn't check the objectives page because the objective of the challenge is made so clear before you enter the challenge that it did not seem necessary to check it. It plainly tells you in the description of the challenge that you have to head to the top of the lighthouse on top of Timberwolf Mountain and fire off a flare.

I am sorry but that is a really bad design flaw in the game. I know it now so I will check in future but I am going to have to take a break for a while because it quite frankly pisses me off that I wasted over 4 hours playing the challenge incorrectly due to one element of poor game design.

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. It’s one of my favourite challenges. “Just keep walking” is the best advice I got when starting this challenge. I think you can only save when passing time or entering a building.   Hope you try it again at some point. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

@Deseoso
I felt that all the information was always very clearly available to the player.  Even if a player doesn't check the objectives in the Journal tab... If memory serves, for that challenge (Hopeless Rescue) there is a running countdown telling the player how much time is left...  I mean, every time we check the HUD "status information" (pressing tab or the console equivalent) or accessing the radial menu (pressing space or console equivalent), the countdown was/is clearly visible. 

To me, this all just comes down to the idea that the onus is on the player to pay attention to the world around them, as well as to the information the game is giving them. 

Edited by ManicManiac
Repeated reponse for the other thead... just to cover the bases.
  • Upvote 2