DEV DIARY -- OCTOBER, EPISODE THREE LAUNCH INFO

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland
14 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

I am going to assume that the yet was thought out judging by the fact you were either afk or really thought our your response.

The fully updated post is:

No, we are not bringing Timberwolves into Survival Mode yet. We have a lot of work to do to get the packs functioning correctly across all our regions. For the launch on Tuesday, they are only in Episode Three. Timberwolves will be added to Survival Mode ASAP.

Regarding "really thinking out my response" -- I have learned to try not let ambiguity stand unless it is necessary, as people have a tendency to want to jump to the worst conclusion about things. There is already a bit of "hurt feelings" going on with Survival Mode players feeling slighted by some things in Story not having been added to Survival Mode yet. So I don't want to add fuel to that fire.

FWIW, there are a lot of mechanics in Survival that don't exist in Story, or exist differently in Story, and for me it's one game where each mode plays to its strengths, so I don't personally get the issue. But it is what it is!

• Like 3

Okay so I'm guess you have some problems with them interacting with ice, mountains, some high structure density, certainty tree formation or some other terrain difficulty you have worked around specifically for pleasant valley but your programing team hasn't found a more universal fix. Can we still get a video of you getting killed by a Timberwolf.

Edited by RegentRelic

I remember when the original episodes 1 & 2 released, playing them and loving the interesting new perspective they gave me on the quiet apocalypse. The redux versions of these certainly built upon and Improved the original formula for the stories success and delivered an overall more polished and higher quality experience in my opinion. The work that the Hinterland team team must dedicate to the art form that is The Long Dark will always be an inspiration to my own work and hopefully to the industry of developers that exist today; the strive for quality prioritisation in the face of community pressured  time restrictions and financial incentives is something which requires the highest level of respect. 

To Hinterland I wish the greatest success with the upcoming release of Episode 3 and that the community surrounding this great game will enjoy and appreciate this developing vision of a tragically beautiful dystopia.

Edited by henroe32
  • Like 2

• Hinterland
5 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

Okay so I'm guess you have some problems with them interacting with ice, mountains, some high structure density, certainty tree formation or some other terrain difficulty you have worked around specifically for pleasant valley but your programing team hasn't found a more universal fix. Can we still get a video of you getting killed by a Timberwolf.

Nope.

And nope.

• Like 3

• Hinterland
5 minutes ago, henroe32 said:

I remember when the original episodes 1 & 2 released, playing them and loving the interesting new perspective they gave me on the quiet apocalypse. The redux versions of these certainly built upon and Improved the original formula for the stories success and delivered an overall more polished and higher quality experience in my opinion. The work that the Hinterland team team must dedicate to the art form that is The Long Dark will always be an inspiration to my own work and hopefully to the industry of developers that exist today; the strive for quality prioritisation in the face of community pressured  time restrictions and financial incentives is something which requires the highest level of respect. 

To Hinterland I wish the greatest success with the upcoming release of Episode 3 and that the community surrounding this great game will enjoy and appreciate this developing vision of a tragically beautiful dystopia.

Thanks -- we hope you all enjoy Episode Three and we look forward to seeing how everyone response to it on Tuesday. It's been a long wait for you all but an even longer wait for us. :) 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Thanks -- we hope you all enjoy Episode Three and we look forward to seeing how everyone response to it on Tuesday. It's been a long wait for you all but an even longer wait for us. :) 

Wonder if we will ever get details about what hinterland was waiting for. Probably not. Could be a thousand things so I'm not even going to speculate.

I'm glad hinterland gave us the exact time so I can make sure to every up and runnin' at 06:59.

Edited by RegentRelic

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

There is already a bit of "hurt feelings" going on with Survival Mode players feeling slighted by some things in Story not having been added to Survival Mode yet. So I don't want to add fuel to that fire.

FWIW, there are a lot of mechanics in Survival that don't exist in Story, or exist differently in Story, and for me it's one game where each mode plays to its strengths, so I don't personally get the issue. But it is what it is!

Some things wouldn't really mix and match well across the modes, so I personally think this isn't only fair and fine, but actually a necessity to make either of them work. Survival, being open world and open end - and perma death of all things - hinges much more on balance than Story Mode does. It's easier to introduce mechanics, items, enemies, content in general when you can control the scope in which it is applied. In Story Mode you can do that, in Survival this would get relatively hard without artifically introducing unintuitive and hence hard to communicate boundaries.

My (limited) experience with game design tells me that when you change one variable just slightly, the entire plate might tip over. Many people aren't really aware how easily that happens. So I guess we'll see this trend increase over time, and I think it's actually a good thing. I'm glad Survival emancipated itself from being the Story Mode test bed to being a full game in its own right, and it's good that it can grow on its own without having to mirror Story Mode and as such suffer from its limitations.

I know I might be a vocal critic here and there (albeit always with the intent of wanting to help improve the game - it's sad one has to say that...), but when it comes to things being in Story but not Survival and vice versa I think you guys hit the balance as well as you could have.

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I have learned to try not let ambiguity stand unless it is necessary, as people have a tendency to want to jump to the worst conclusion about things.

Definitely true especially when you have never met someone. Such as most of the time on the internet. If you where referring to me, my disappoint of any thing being missing from survival is a mild inconvenience it would be foolish to get so attached to a game. All but a bit of fun A.

Edited by RegentRelic

New voice acting work from Jen Hale, episode 3 already has me excited! Love the thought process behind Lost and Found, I was already convinced I should spend some time this weekend ferrying stuff from PV to avoid it getting deleted. Thank you Hinterland boys and girls for being considerate of our save games, I know it seems silly but I kinda get emotionally attached to my long term survivors, I'd hate Will F. McKenzie to lose the precious items he's been stockpiling the last two years of his life at GB.

PS.: PLEASE MAKE THE LOST AND FOUND BOX INTO MERCH! I'd love big boxes like that to organize stuff in my tiny apartment, branding and color are looking good on those. 

Edited by Dan_
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

EP3: cool!

LOST & FOUND: oh, this is going to make me sleep a lot better, thanks for that :x

4DON:  really look forward to do it again! this time with less fear on day 1 and before start of day 4 B|

DECEMBER SURVIVAL MODE UPDATE: really excited to see what is coming up!

4 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Not really.

hey raphael we love you as Turks. if chapter 4 is coming soon, this game becomes a legend  it can also be more colorful if extra items such as recipe or tools or clothes are added in the game I would appreciate if you consider my message We Love You Hinterland studio :)

20 minutes ago, dominik89 said:

if chapter 4 is coming soon,

:D we are just coming up on the release of chapter 3... we've got to give it time.  There's also a planned Survival Update for December... we're all chomping at the bit, I know.  However, we've also got to be patient and give the good folks at Hinterland time to work.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Man I'm a little worried if all my stuff is going to be allright in the next update because I use Farmstead in PV as my main base and I have a ton of stuff there (I'm not exaggerating, I have 710x clothes 26x hatchet 24x knife 13x rifle 9x revolver alone) and my basement is full of cured leathers and guts. Outside I have nearly a hundred kilograms of bear meat. In the porch I have 200 liters of water. 

I don't remember which one but I've lost all my stuff located in the basement of Farmstead after an update (I was able to retrieve them in the next hotfix) 

But mainly I'm worried about the stuff that is outside. I'm hoping that everything's gonna be allright.

@yollarbenibekler

This was clarified already in the thread earlier:

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:55 AM, ManicManiac said:
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

we’ve implemented a new system designed to avoid us accidentally wiping out your hard-earned loot. The Lost & Found box will appear any time we have changed a scene to the extent that your loot would have been deleted -- we just respawn it all in the Lost & Found box for you to grab it

@ Martin Prchal
from this, I would gather that if it's in a spot there it would have been deleted... it'll go in the Lost & Found, otherwise you should find it where you left it.

Then Raph confirmed...

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

This is correct.

Edited by ManicManiac

@yollarbenibekler
It's the same answer... that is what Martin Prchal was talking about too...

If it's in a spot (a.k.a. in a container or laying around on the ground, it doesn't matter...) where it would have been deleted... it'll go in the Lost & Found, otherwise you should find it where you left it.

I'm honestly not sure how I can convey it any more clearly.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

• Hinterland
4 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

Man I'm a little worried if all my stuff is going to be allright in the next update because I use Farmstead in PV as my main base and I have a ton of stuff there (I'm not exaggerating, I have 710x clothes 26x hatchet 24x knife 13x rifle 9x revolver alone) and my basement is full of cured leathers and guts. Outside I have nearly a hundred kilograms of bear meat. In the porch I have 200 liters of water. 

I don't remember which one but I've lost all my stuff located in the basement of Farmstead after an update (I was able to retrieve them in the next hotfix) 

But mainly I'm worried about the stuff that is outside. I'm hoping that everything's gonna be allright.

The Lost & Found box should help with anything that would have been lost otherwise.

• Like 1