Your favourites computer games ?

peteloud

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

If we would go all-time the list would get too long, and I'd forget a whole lot anyways. You can't expect me to go all the way back to 1987 :D

Haha, I feel you. I started in the '70s and well, you saw how my post went. Didn't get half of them in there, :P

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Also I like the comment on the community having high consistency of IT professionals!!

Yeah that's a bit of an oddity with TLD which I cannot really explain. There is no direct connection of the game to this type of work, yet I feel like every other player is somehow entangled with IT. I mean, yeah, IT is probably the fastest growing field of work, period, but that still doesn't explain this odd correllation. But TLDs player base seems to be rather unique in many ways.

For instance I noticed that the average survivor seems to be well into their adulthood, meaning 30 and up. But I can get around that fact a bit easier with TLD adressing a rather mature theme and abstaining from much of the sparkles and glitter found in titles more popular with younger folks. Also there seems to be a healthy share of female players, which is always a good thing.

jeffpeng,

After seeing your earlier comment I gave Factorio a try and have been enjoying it.

When I started this topic I thought that the favourite games might have suggested that we, TLD players who make serious comments, had similar personality traits.  There is more variety than I expected.

I suspect that what appeals to IT guys in TLD is that serious players analyse how things happen in TLD and try to identify solutions to reduce problems and work out the best way to proceed.   I suppose that happens in most games, but some of the comments I see here show that a great deal of careful analysis has gone in many suggestions.

Edited by peteloud
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

@peteloudThat's actually a good point. TLD usually rewards analysis over activism, and strategy over skill. While there are some skill checks in the game (you still need to hit that arrow, no matter how good your strategy is) the pace of the game encourages you to think before you act, and there is always a pause button. When I reflect this on my work style .... I sometimes sit two hours on the porch just thinking. Over the biggest problems I have been brooding days before writing a line of code. Many of the better folks I came across over the years share this style, so I guess it's a rather common trait among IT people.

jeffpeng,

". . . the pace of the game encourages you to think before you act, . . . "

That might be the key element.   I enjoyed the Sniper Elite games where, "the pace of the game encourages you to think before you act,"   whereas I dislike games that are all action where you have to rush into all situations with guns blazing.  Similarly I like games that are business simulations.

. . . an after-thought.

Perhaps the playing games such a TLD, Factorio, Transport Tycoon DeLuxe and similar games could be a very useful, positive factor in recruitment for many jobs, including jobs in software development, but also in many areas unrelated to IT.

Edited by peteloud

Looks like I am in good company...

Tld is my favorit - but worth mentioning are furthermore:

- Half life series 

- Fallout series 

- Elder scrolls series 

- Dying light 

- Metro series  (in ranger mode)

- also enjoyed good old Doom and Resident Evil

- Kingdom come: Deliverance

- Soma

- Inside

- the very first Farcry

- Bioshock series

- Mario, Zelda, Earthworm Jim and Secret of Mana (when I was young)

And many more, but I cant remember them spontaneous.

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

@peteloudThat's actually a good point. TLD usually rewards analysis over activism, and strategy over skill. 

I'll attempt to distill this even further into an essence (which will maybe be true in spirit, but not in fact):

I think the appeal to our older (and IT) segment of the gamer community redounds to this mechanic: walking instead of sprinting.

Many of us are old warhorses when it comes to games.  We've been there -- done that.  We had our thrills of shoot-em-ups and high paced adventures.  TLD is anti all this.  When you Sprint, as you do in almost every other game, you are punished instead of rewarded.  I think this simple difference is something our segment is looking for and maybe also reflects the advantage of older wisdom vs young exuberance.

Guest jeffpeng

@NardoLoopa Nice breakdown. I think you nailed it there.

I mean technically there very much cases when you are rewarded for sprinting, but it clearly isn't your preferred mode of travel and costs you in the long run. To stick with the analogy .... just because I don't like crunching that means I cannot do it, and I will when I have to. But it usually has adverse long term effects compared to when I can do a project at my own pace.

Maybe that's another point that appeals to IT people. Working in this field often times involves a quite pronounced amount of solitude. I don't know how it is with big companies where 3 people review every line of code you write. I (mostly) work for a small studio, and while we do our conference calls and occasional meetings to set goals and talk through the greater whole, when it comes to do the work it's mostly everyone for themselves. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

Also: 

4 hours ago, NardoLoopa said:

TLD is anti all this. 

Which kinda underlines the point I made in that thread about the interview RvL gave about The Long Dark: TLD, in a sense, is an anti-game. That's not to say that TLD fails at being a game. That's to say that TLD succeeds at being not the usual kind of game. Not surprising it appeals to a different kind of audience. But still.... interesting that it's this kind of audience.

• 10 months later...

Well, I personally like to play old game boy advance games. I even had atari 2600 video game on which I used to play mario and contra Nowadays, I still use gba emulator[1] on my android smartphone and add prince of persia the sands of time rom in it and ended it Other than this I used to playstation 1 and 2 also. Lion king, alladin, road rash, doom and many more games I had played all of them. Old games are classic. They were the best ❤️

Edited by mollykane
spelling mistakes
  • Upvote 1

Well, I also started with Pong, but I'll just list what's been taking up my free time these days..  

Spintires: The Original Game - Nice maps and vehicles. Basic objectives (logging), but getting unstuck and other problem solving is half the fun.

Stormworks: Build and Rescue - Huge pool of free Workshop downloads from players.  I often dream of spotting Great Bear Island while cruising in my PBY Catalina flying boat.

TheHunter: Call of the Wild -  I like the big maps (25 sq miles each, so lots to explore).  I turn off all the gamey gizmos and just rely on audio clues and binoculars for the hunting part.  Sometimes takes hours to get a kill that way, but I find it absorbing.

DiRT Rally 2.0 - I've been with the DiRT series since it was the Colin McRae series.  Driving vintage rally cars much too fast through the woods never gets old I guess.

**I don't play any more, but for old shooters I'd recommend the Dead Space series.  They did an interesting twist on first person/third person with integrated HUD that really works well.

@peteloud, @jeffpeng, @NardoLoopa - I've enjoyed reading your insights on the IT profession as it relates to TLD.  As a person who renovates houses, I'm very far from IT, but relative solitude and problem solving are my daily companions so to speak..though I'm mostly outside.  They let us inside for the winter months.  😉  When I started playing The Long Dark, it was an like an old friend AND a breath of fresh air at the same time.  Great atmosphere, make due with what you have, take the time to think about what you're doing... 

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim
Misspelled Colin McRae. R.I.P.

Humm, I did not know about this thread until today so I'll chime in with some of my favourites. Some absolutely bang on lists here, but here's mine. ( I'm also in IT, btw ).

After filling out the list from the top of my head, I suddenly realize the number of extensively played games decrease as I age, less time and less enthusiasm for console gaming.

PC Games

• Mount and Blade ( Native Warband and mods, still waiting for the pendor and LOTR mods for bannerlord, this is my biggest time sink, even more than TLD ).
  • Psygnosis' Metal Fatigue ( Oldie )
  • Railroad Tycoon 2 ( also old )
  • Stardew Valley
  • Warcraft 3
  • ETS2 and ATS, great to listen to podcasts with. 
  • F1 from Codies
  • Assetto Corsa - though I haven't touched it in months
  • AOE2 and 3
  • Xplane11 ( MSFS2020 now, of course )
  • KCD (brilliant)
  • Modded minecraft, I'll throw it in as well. Not a fan of vanilla but back then I played a mod called Terrafirmacraft.
  • The Elder Scrolls Series ( Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim ). Excited for Skywind, check it out. 
  • Civilization 5 ( Edited to add ).

Consoles

Genesis

• Super Monaco GP
  • Streets of Rage
  • Sonic ( 1,2,3, 3D.. tons of great games )
  • Mortal Kombat, 2 is specially good but many decent games in the MK franchise. 
  • Revenge of the shinobi
  • Yu Yu Hakusho: Sunset Fighters ( Yu Yu Hakusho Makyō Tōitsusen )
  • Winter Olympics Lillehammer '94
  • Street Fighter 2 : The new challengers
  • FIFA 96

SNES

• Chrono Trigger ( hands down )
  • Internation Superstar Soccer Deluxe
  • The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the past
  • Super Mario World ( and kart )

PSX

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Chrono Cross
  • Vagrant Story
  • Harvest Moon - BTN
  • RE2 and Resident Evil 3
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • FF7 and FF9

PS2

• Gran Turismo 4
  • God of War
  • MGS 3
  • Shadow of the Colossus

PS3

• MGS 4
  • Uncharted I and II
  • F1 2013
  • Red dead redemption

PS4

• The Witcher 3
  • GTA 5

Edited by Dan_

Wow there are a bunch of IT peeps here indeed. Not so much me tho, once I “fixed” a computer by pouring a Diet Coke in it.

Im an ER doc by trade, so maybe it’s the worst case scenario planner in me that loves this game. It is indeed my favorite.

Others I love

Fallout New Vegas (all the fallout games really, but NV is just the best)

7 days to die

The metro series

Mass effect series especially 3

Prey (underrated cool survival horror/sci fi)

Dead space series

Skyrim

I like story over flash, replayability, character development, strategy, and pretty scenery is a plus. Also the ability to play as a female is a bonus.

• Like 1

Too many to list here lol but to name a few besides The Long Dark:

Stardew Valley

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth

Undertale

Subnautica

Minecraft

The Sims 3

Car Mechanic Simulator 2015

Team Fortress 2 (I'm also a moderator on a server in TF2)

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Gosh what a great thread. My favorite PC game for a long time, in theory, was PUBG. I'm just not very good at it, it's hard to find people to play with, and a lot of pick up teams are toxic.

Apple II+: Zaxxon port from Sega, Ultima, this parser game called creature venture.

Atari2600: kaboom and pitfall, all Activision games

Nes: Oh dear so many. Does anyone remember "River City Ransom?" Mario 3, metal gear (my father was in to that one)

SNES games especially f-zero.

Old PC classics. Ultima series especially 6 and 7. Ultima underworld. A friend and I got hours of entertainment out of the Leisure Suit Larry games, especially 6. Every teenager should experience the Leisure Suit Larry series. Someone mentioned Quake and the sound track. I seriously got into Quake 2. Wing Commander, Crusader no regret/no remorse. Ultima Online.There was a game called Deathtrck wwhich was a racer shooter game. The Perfect General.

Post 2000 of course Half Life. Right now other than TLD I really like the elder scrolls series, Subnautica, Phoenix Project. Oh how did I forget the xcom series and that whole genre. The best survival game out there other than this is Don't Starve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...