Your favourites computer games ?

peteloud

I have seen a few comments in the forum in which contributors have mentioned other games which they greatly like.  I think this is interesting because I have a feeling that we players of TLD are similar in many ways.  I always have a little smile when I realise that many players are IT professionals.

So what have been your favourite games over the past many years?

My favourites have been

Skyrim

Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

Far Cry 3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Shadow of Chernobyl,

and an old DOS game, Transport Tycoon, that was updated to Transport Tycoon DeLuxe for Windows.

I was also very impressed by the environments and graphics of Assassins Creed, Unity and Syndicate, but by about 75% of the way through them I lost interest.

I have been impressed with and enjoyed many other games, but they are my favourites.

Edited by peteloud

Wow... if we are talking about all our favorites from over the years, this will be a long list!  (There is a ton, but I will try to limit it to just my top favorites off the cuff and I'll group them)

*NES
Super Mario Brothers 3
The Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy (the very first one)

*Genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog (1&2)
Cyborg Justice
X-Men
Mortal Kombat

*SNES
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy VI (known as FF3 in my day)
F-Zero

*N64
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye & Perfect Dark (these two cannot be separated in my mind)
Turok - Dinosaur Hunter
Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

*PlayStation
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy Tactics

*Old School PC
Wolfenstein 3D
Quake (The soundtrack by Trent Reznor was the stuff of legends)
Duke Nukem 3D
Commander Keen 4 - The Secret of the Oracle
Stellar 7
Mean Streets (the original Tex Murphy game)
Myst
Uplink
Republic Commando
Battlefront I & II (the originals not the recent E.A. garbage)
Dark Forces series - specifically Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy

*Modern Era PC
The Long Dark (naturally)
Subnautica
ARK Survival Evolved
Stranded Deep
Fire Watch
Antichamber

There are so many more... but I'm cutting it off to just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.  :D 
:coffee::fire:
:coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
...just couldn't... stop... myself...

The main games I'm playing these days are TLD, KSP, and CS.

Old games? Descent was a serious fave. I have Overload, but I need a better joystick than the one I've got; the one I have is not fun to play with. I'm planning to upgrade my machine sometime over the fall, so after that I may look at getting a better one. Doom and Quake, of course; Quake in particular is one of the funnest deathmatches going. Quad Damage + Invuln = Gibbing Heaven.

The OG Syndicate was a lot of fun, trying to figure out how to get the missions done with maximum collateral damage.

ETA: How could I forget the Half-Life series! Some excellent gameplay there. I was sorely disappointed when they finally got around to announcing that there will never be HL2: Ep 3. I still think they should make it; if they actually did it I'm sure they'd make a TON of money.

I've never played consoles, so there's a pile of games there that I know nothing about, but I did play Pong on the original hardware in my friend's basement when I was in grade six in 1978. I've also played some C64 and Amiga stuff, but what they were actually called... well, it was a long time ago ;)

Edited by stratvox

I've probably sunk more hours into Doom and DoomII than any others.  Especially if you consider all of the source ports and total conversions.  Some allow you to play the original as an entirely different character, like the Guncaster, Trailblazer, or Metroid Dreadnaught mods.  Others are entirely different games altogether, like Castlevania Simon's Destiny.  Under the hood though, it's still Doom.

Skyrim is also pretty good for exploration and adventure, but what really took it to an 11 was the VR port.  It is a WORLD of difference between seeing it on a flat screen, and being IN the world.

And then of course, The Long Dark, where I've sunk over 2500 hours into it.  I don't think I really need to explain this one since we're all here for a reason.

Besides The Long Dark?

Okay, as old as I am, the list would be too long if I listed every game I ever enjoyed. 
So, more recently:

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Shadow of The Colossus
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Titan Quest/Titan Quest Immortal Throne (not a huge fan of the newer TQ:AE and DLCs... I loved the original TQ Gold)
Don't Starve (brutal but kitschy)
Subnautica (I really need to get back and replay it now that I have a rig that can run it at over 10 fps...)
Torchlight I & Torchlight II
The Room  (1,  2 , & 3)
Book of Demons
Firewatch
Slime Rancher (don't judge! It's cute and fun! But I did like the Early Access game better than I like the finished game... got too grindy and too much extra dooflitchies added...)

And my current second favorite game (second only to TLD): Grim Dawn

Too many others to list. I just like gaming, on PC or console. But I am a huge aRPG fan, puzzle game fan, RPG fan, Point & Click fan, ect., but TLD is the first "real" survival game I ever got really hooked on. Shadow of The Colossus was the game that got me really into gaming, even though I have gamed since I was a teen in the 80's.  

2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Slime Rancher (don't judge!

Not to worry, I admit I have this in my library as well... and let me just say, it's more fun and addictive than it has any right to be. :D (kind of like Lego Star Wars in that regard)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Top 10   of  Games that I liked the most in the last 25 years - TES3: Morrowind (TES5 Skyrim was cool too,but TES3 is better for me ), Operation Flashpoint (prequel of Armed Assault), Out of the park Baseball management series, The Long Dark, Everybody's gone to the rapture (short, but very intense experience), Americas Army 2 , WoW,  Motorsport Manager, Farming Sim 17,  American & European Truck Sim 2

@DerpyLemon115
For a question like this, it can be tough to narrow it down to like a top 5 or top 10...  I know my list is ridiculously long, but honestly I doubt I could have made it any shorter :D  It was all I could do to just list my to favorites per platform/era. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Gaming's probably been my biggest pastime since I was 6 or 7.

Edited by ManicManiac

I was going for current but is we want all the games I ever feel in love with I am in the same boat as pancakes. I love gaming my life can be brutal people die, but in video games they comeback. You can take back your mistakes and try again. I suppose that is why I love the long dark. It plays with this.

@ManicManiac, I feel like you and I can be good friends. Not only did you include the best of the Final Fantasy games, but SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS MEAN STREETS!

Favorite OG PC Games:

• Basically all of the Sierra parser adventures, like the Space Quest and Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory series.
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Doom 1 & 2
  • Archon
  • Mail Order Monsters
  • Neuromancer
  • Tunnels of Armageddon
  • Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception / Revenge
  • Wasteland
  • Mines of Titan

Favorite NES Games:

• Final Fantasy (1)
  • Dragon Warrior
  • River City Ransom
  • Castlevania 1-3
  • Super Mario 3

Favorite Genesis Games:

• Shadowrun
  • Streets of Rage
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Phantasy Star Series
  • Sonic 2

Favorite SNES Games:

• Final Fantasy 6 (3 US)
  • Secret of Mana / Secret of Evermore
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Megaman X/2/3
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Star Ocean

Favorite 90s/2000s PC Games:

• Deus Ex
  • Fallout 1/2
  • Myst / Riven
  • Command & Conquer series
  • Castles 1 & 2
  • Baldur's Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale
  • Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
  • City of Heroes
  • Mechwarrior 3/4
  • XCOM

Favorite Playstation (1-4) Games:

• Metal Gear Solid series
  • Xenogears
  • Vagrant Story
  • Yakuza series
  • Saint's Row series
  • Star Ocean series
  • Assassin's Creed 2 trilogy & Black Flag
  • Rune Factory

Favorite Current Era games:

• Mount & Blade
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided
  • Battletech
  • Shadowrun Returns / Dragonfall / Hong Kong (if you can't tell, I love me some cyberpunk...)
  • Freelancer
  • Descent: Freespace 1 / 2
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • The Long Dark
  • Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
  • Stardew Valley
  • Rebel Galaxy / Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
  • Rimworld
  • Total War series
  • The Witcher series

Aaaand I think that's long enough. Probably another 200 games that I could add to this list. Sheesh. And this is why I went into games as a career...

• Like 1

@DarkTreader
Superb list.  I regret that Fallout New Vegas slipped my mind when I was compiling my list... it definitely rated a place.

Of the franchise:
The original Fallout is the bona fide classic...
Fallout 2 is a great sequel...
Fallout Tactics was a wonderful call back...
But Fallout New Vegas is the Gold Standard!

(and of course they all owe everything to Wasteland :D)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

Fallout 4

Fallout 3

Fallout new vagas

Subnautica

The Long Dark

STEEP

CS:GO

Watchdogs

Watchdogs 2

Battlefield 1

Battlefield V

Battlefield HL

MW

MW2

MW3

Roblox

Bomber Crew

DayZ

Vurdun

Hitman 2

Kerbal Space Program

Call of Duty Black ops

Call of Duty Black ops II

Call of Duty Black ops III (I did not enjoy playing it that much)

Minecraft

And the game that started it all, Battlefield 1943

Edited by Ghosty 1944

Okay, I am going to age myself but I'm going to go in order of the games I most remember since childhood. The timeline of my favorite games is sort of my personal history. Games have always played a major part in my life and family. My mother worked at Texas Instruments and even in the 70's I knew what computers were and had seen real working robots. They delivered mail in my mom's workplace.

My first game was Pong. My brothers and I played this almost constantly. The next game I remember being really popular in my house was Space Invaders. I remember my mom had the game cartridge before we even had the Atari. Night Driver was really popular with us as well. My mom and her sisters played a lot Circus Atari too. Once we had video games my brothers and I were immediately consumed by them.  Atari also had Donkey Kong, the Pac Man franchise and Asteroids. Oh, and Defender! Defender was awesome. This was also when I first started learning DOS. My mom was able to buy a computer from the TI company store, so we have always had those too.

While we've had every single gaming console to come out, Nintendo ruled them all after it appeared. Contra was popular in my house along with the Mario Bros and Zelda games. We spent hours playing Frogger  and Tetris too. I am sure I am mixing up consoles and game timelines here but you get the picture. There was Perfect Dark which is the FPS I remember playing.

I also played and wrote content for MUDS and I loved the improvised RP that would happen. I haven't even gotten to modern games and I feel I've written too much.

Today, I mostly play PC games. I love the Elder Scroll series and Morrowind is my favorite. Before TLD I would load it up and head to the wilderness to watch the night sky and listen to the betty netches sing. Now TLD gives me a similar experience. I also like the fallout series, and the Civ Series. I liked Heroes of Might and Magic too. Myst was awesome. I left so many out, but OMG the memories that have come back as a result of this.

• Like 1

• Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Singleplayer + Plugy (by far!)
  • The Long Dark
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Rocket League
  • Magic the Gathering (started in Paper but Arena is also nice)
  • Total War: Medieval 2 and Attila (can't wait for Medieval 3, but i am careful about their DLC practice)

1. Nethack - ASCII roguelike (but really like Rogue -- not just a 'roguelike').  It brutally punishes impatience.  Invariably you die and immediately realize there were 4 ways to solve your problem, had you just taken a moment.
  2. The Long Dark - 'nuff said
  3. 7 Days to Die (A15) - like Minecraft, but deadly.  Specifically the "Starvation Mod" made it one of the few games that stays interesting through the power-curve.
  4. The Last of Us - only narrative game that really penetrated emotionally.  Closest a game has come to "literature".
  5. Mass Effect 3 - one of the few games where you really feel your choices have consequences to morality in the narrative, rather than just being a matter of finding the optimal mechanical choice.
  6. Elite Dangerous - Became a "FuelRat" and had a blast running real rescue operations with the team.  Also, Newtonian flight model!
  7. X-COM 2 - "The Long War" mod.  Things are going to go poorly.  Your team is going to die.  Just deal with it.

Guest jeffpeng

My modern-day favorites (besides TLD which has become my staple go-to)

• Minecraft (several mods, some of my own)
  • Factorio
  • Subnautica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Frostpunk
  • Surviving Mars
  • LoL (yes, I still play that, although not competitively)
  • CIV 5
  • Satisfactory
  • Simutrans

If we would go all-time the list would get too long, and I'd forget a whole lot anyways. You can't expect me to go all the way back to 1987 :D

My all time favorites would have to be, concluding TLD:

• Dark Souls 3
  • Skyrim
  • Fallout 3
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Human: Fall Flat
  • Life is Strange
  • Stardew Valley
  • War Thunder

There's more than likely more games that I'm blanking on right now, plus the list would get too long. Also I like the comment on the community having high consistency of IT professionals!!

in no particular order... and mostly for the story, graphics etc..

The Order: 1886 (on no one's list)

Life is Strange

Skyrim

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

RDR2

No Man's Sky (now)

Last of Us

Edited by Cr41g