horse vs wolves an interesting video clip

piddy3825

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Can barely make anything out - does it seem to pause and zoom in then jump to another scene for you all too?

sorry it's not working out for you...  nobody else has made an effort to comment, so not sure if problem you're experiencing is widespread or just problematic for you.  if it's easier for you, you may just want to YouTube it yourself.  just put in wolves vs. horses in the search bar and it should come up as one of the first clips on file.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:21 PM, hozz1235 said:

Can barely make anything out - does it seem to pause and zoom in then jump to another scene for you all too?

It does, there's a voiceover/slideshow. The title is clickbaity since they don't actually fight.

Cool video though! 

Edited by MarrowStone

17 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

It does, there's a voiceover/slideshow. The title is clickbaity since they don't actually fight.

Cool video though! 

I was expecting to see the wolf pack pull down this horse, but was surprised when the horse started rolling about in the snow.  The idea that the wolves had never seen a horse or anything bigger than themselves was an explanation that I'd never have thought possible.  Goes to show you how little we really know about wildlife behavior.

44 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

I was expecting to see the wolf pack pull down this horse, but was surprised when the horse started rolling about in the snow.  The idea that the wolves had never seen a horse or anything bigger than themselves was an explanation that I'd never have thought possible.  Goes to show you how little we really know about wildlife behavior.

Yeah it subverted my expectations too, but it makes sense since predators usually will not put themselves at risk if they don't need to. An injury out there could mean death. The wolves most likely were unfamiliar with the animal and wanted to test its boundaries, the horse looked healthy and alert to me so I'm guessing the wolves saw it as not worth attacking (they usually attack large game when its weakened or too young to fight back). They must be not very desperate and have a safer, more reliable food supply.

I think it's a bigger mystery as to why the horse didn't run away, horses are usually scared by even the smallest things. Did it think they were just dogs? It standing its ground and rolling on its back may have actually saved its life, showing it is not prey and also not an active threat to the wolves. When animals show their exposed bellies it usually is done in order to defuse hostility and show they mean no harm. 

• Upvote 1