What was your biggest facepalm or omg wtf headbutt desk moment in survival?

TheUnknown

For me it was something simple. My biggest moment in survival mode so far is both a facepalm and omg wtf headbutt desk combo. Until my current playthrough i have yet to ever make it safely without save scumming or taking days (real days) To get to the summit of timberwolf mountain to the airplane for the supplies there.

I have tried my hardest to learn the regions without using maps found online. Well my current playthrough i made it to the fishing hut and the house at i guess the base of the climb.

I said screw it and looked at a timberwolf mountain map and saw my biggest mistake. I was pretty much going south and then all the way around the long way to the summit. I failed to see that the inlet to the pond the stream from a waterfall and such was pretty much the direct route. Looking out from the house i was going pretty much behind the house and all the way around when  just up the stream (face the fish hut is one corner and the stream from the water fall is the other) I could have saved my self a lot of trouble and time and headaches if i went up that stream path. i am still kicking myself for that. Guess my ego of being a gamer and not needing to look online got the best of me.

So i ask. What was the one thing you done in survival that pretty much kicked your ass and after finding out why made you face palm or made you kiss your keyboard really hard?

Forgetting bedrolls

Double clicking raw meat to cycle through the sounds (every item has a few sound effects in inventory and It's satisfying to listen to them) only to realize you are now eating it...

I've done this multiple times due to my habit to use the inventory as an instrument when I'm thinking. lol.

Not having enough coal for your forge to get it hot enough and wasting all of the stuff you already put in it. 

• Like 1

First, I’d just like to say that if you play this game long, you have much more and  MUCH GREATER  self loathing to look forward to. Welcome to the club.  I can’t even begin to get one single biggest event to float to the top of the facepalm stew I’ve cooked up after playing for almost five years but I’ll tell you about one that stands out in memory. 

Bears had just been added to the game- I considered myself quite the badass survivor by this time. Off I went in search of fresh meat.  Found one, and blistered him. Back then there was a good chance they’d run away when shot, and that’s what he did.  I tracked that bear for hours, halfway across Pleasant Valley. The weather was getting worse and I didn’t know my way around the valley by heart yet. In my excitement, I ignored the weather warning signs, and payed little attention to where I was.  I finally caught up to the beast in the middle of the huge open fields between the farmhouse and barn.  I got a good headshot on him and down he went.  Elated, I rushed over to harvest the carcass! Now, back then; quartering wasn’t a thing, and shorter skinning times from skill weren’t a thing.  I breathlessly ticked the counter up to strip all 30 kg of meat, the hide and ALL TEN guts! I couldn’t think of anything but how long I could live off the meat from that bugger!  I didn’t even notice how the harvest time was- I just pressed the button and reached for a celebratory cigarette.  The smug look on my face as I raised the lighter turned to horror as I noticed my health dropping like a rock as the timer ran down. The weather had become a full on blizzard and I was completely exposed in the middle of a giant open field.  I survived the harvest with about 10% health, but when I had control of my character again, it was pitch black, zero visibility from the blizzard, and although I knew generally where I was, I had no idea which direction to go in for shelter.  I picked a direction and headed off after dropping all the meat so I could move. After what seemed like hours in real time of trudging blindly  through the blizzard watching my health slowly tick down towards zero, I spotted the silhouette of the barn ahead of me.  I faded into the long dark within steps of shelter.

by the way:  that “direct” route up the river involves no fewer than 4 rope climbs, at least one of which often requires you to attach a rope from the top before you can use it.  And there’s a bear den at the bottom of one of them.  Often, what appears to be the long way is better in the end... 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Definitely forgetting things is the worst. I've forgotten my bedroll (of course, everyone has) and once I forgot my cooking pot, nearly died of dehydration before finding a can. Almost forgot my hacksaw before going to the summit once, but realized it and went back to base for one. TLD will smack you down if you don't plan properly and double check your inventory before venturing anywhere.

17 minutes ago, TROY said:

First, I’d just like to say that if you play this game long, you have much more and  MUCH GREATER  self loathing to look forward to. Welcome to the club.  

Truer words were never spoken. :coffee:

@TheUnknown
Well, last week I nearly died because I knowingly ate some ruined food (knowing full well the very high likelihood of food poisoning).  However, I had plenty of antibiotics and I was planning on sleeping for 10-12 hours anyway.  So... like a dummy I ate the food really quick, got food poisoning, topped off my thrust, and went to sleep...

Watching my condition bar plummet as it faded out, I realized...  "Damn it, I forgot to take the pills!"  :D 

The bigger issue was that I didn't have much for food at the time (the reason why I was eating sketchy food to begin with...), so I ended up eating the last of my reserves just to keep from losing anymore condition after tanking the full 18 hours of untreated food poisoning.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

This is something that happens more often than I'd care to admit, because I don't normally carry a rifle around with me. But going moose hunting, I finally find a moose, then realize I forgot to actually bring my rifle.  Edit: This has led to a change in strategy, where I now leave rifles all over the world, and just carry ammo with me.  That way if I do find a Moose, I know I have a rifle stored somewhere on that map that I can grab quickly.

Or sometimes forgetting to drink before bed, and I wake up dehydrated and missing a huge chunk of condition.

Edited by ajb1978

8 hours ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Well let me tell you about the time I got into a struggle with a wolf without a weapon, got two bleeding afflictions, then realize I had no bandages. After that I start to run around from building to building with no luck finding any, until I remembered that I could just craft some with cloth... Only problem was that I only had 5% condition left and no time to make them. Didn't even bother to watch my death, just ended up going back to the main menu and deleting the save

Let me guess, Coastal Highway? 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this one's easy. I sit down at my computer, boot up The Long Dark, put in my earbuds so as not to bother my roommates, and start my latest sandbox game.

I'm leaving the Quonset Garage and heading up the mountain when I hear the snuffling of a bear off to my left. I immediately veer to the right, backing away from the sound and scanning around corners for wherever the heck this bear is. I'm super-confused that the bear seems to be getting closer, when I turn around and find myself FACE TO FACE with the bear of my nightmares. It's mauling me before I can even think about drawing a weapon and tramples me to within an inch of my life.

Let that be a lesson to you. When you're trudging alone through the post-apocalyptic Canadian wilderness, don't put your ears on backwards.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Mapping DP or or maybe crumbling highway. I was all the way at the edge of the map, near the ocean and fell down into a crevice I could not climb out of. These things happen. But I did the same thing in the very next run. 🙄 Stoopid black spots on my map get me every. single. time. I never learn.