User-Created Custom Challenges

jhickie

I posted this a while back in the Steam forums, where I'm a bit more active, but I thought I'd post it here as well. :coffee:

I love how this community has come up with all kinds of custom challenges, through either self-imposed rules or custom codes, or some combination of the two. This is a resourceful and imaginative group indeed. While I would dearly love for Hinterland to add more official challenge modes, these user-created custom challenges have kept me more than busy.

There really isn't a list of these challenges anywhere. You just have to kind of know about them, read about them somewhere, or come up with them yourself. I thought it would be cool if new players could find out about some of these without having to stumble upon them accidentally.

Here is a modest list of my favorites that I compiled. Please add yours if you don't see it here!

I would love to attribute each one of these to the appropriate creator of the challenge. If you created one of these, or know who did, please let me know and I will update the post.

Custom Challenges

Deadman - Stalker wolves, Interloper weather & loot, no condition recovery, low natural resource spawn, max detection range, max thirst/hunger/calorie burn, max wind variability, no BBT (self-imposed).
custom code: 8MHI-/z8M-Dw+/-wSWm-bAAA

Birchman - Same as Deadman, just with BBT allowed.
50/100 Days per Region - Just how it sounds, can reach totals with multiple visits.

Outerloper - created by Stone
Interloper mode. Not allowed to go inside of any structure (no load screen). Transition caves are ok but only to pass through, no sleeping. No TWM Hut/PV Porch/MT Office/DP Church or Riken (self-imposed), Spence's is ok.

No CF - created by iheartmyocd
No sleeping inside ever (per journal stats).

Kegstand - created by Gooner
Interloper mode. Spawn in FM and never leave, survive as long as possible.

Snowballs in Hell - created by Drifterman
Interloper mode. Spawn in TWM and never leave, survive as long as possible.

Endangered Species - created by darkSol
Interloper wolves/weather/loot, max detection range, no rabbits/fish/deer/bears, low wolves/moose, low natural resource spawn, high thirst/hunger/calorie burn, low condition recovery.
custom code: 8sHM-rg8P-Dw9L-DXNe-VAAA

Hunted Forever - created by I'll be the one
Official challenge mode "The Hunted - Part 1", never finish the challenge by avoiding Trapper's. See how long you can survive with the bear constantly after you.

Dancing With Wolves - created by mf187doubleg
Interloper mode, no weapons (no bow, no flare pistol). Get to "50 Days per Region".

Outlast - created by Crasset
Interloper mode, no condition recovery (BBT allowed), no fish, low wildlife spawn, max respawn time, max detection range, max thirst/hunger/calorie burn.
custom code: 8MHI-/z8P-Dz+r-Qfal-fgAA

Sleepwalker - created by Bareskin
Interloper mode, no condition recovery at sleep, very low recovery while awake, max thirst/hunger/calorie burn, max fatigue/freezing.
custom code: 8MHM-/j8P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA

Edited by jhickie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jhickie said:

Outerloper - created by Stone

Interloper mode. Not allowed to go inside of any structure (no load screen). Transition caves are ok but only to pass through, no sleeping. No TWM Hut/PV Porch/MT Office/DP Church or Riken (self-imposed), Spence's is ok.

[...] But you can sleep outside? If so, then a big fat yes from me :)

2 hours ago, Yavind said:

But you can sleep outside?

Yes, I think that was implied in the description... they only specifically emphasized not sleeping in the transition caves (or utilizing the other noted "outside" structures - since those behave very much like the indoors locations).

[Addendum]
Though, really... you can play however you want.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I guess I'm having some issues getting used to how this forum operates compared to the forum I'm used to using on Steam. I figured I could just edit the OP with updated information as it comes in, but this is not the case? There's actually a time limit on editing your own post? That sounds odd. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong.

28 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Nah, you got it right. Limited time for editing your own post. I am guessing that is to prevent people from trolling or flaming, and then going back and editing their post to look "innocent". 

I'll message you directly with a few ideas to help keep it organized. 

Thanks for the PM, appreciate the info! I'll update this list in a new post if there's more additions from other players.