Back-up Clothes

MrsHoneypot

Hi. Last time I was nosey, I recieved some very enlightening replies. So, I´m doing it again.

This time I would like to ask; Do you carry back-up clothing just in case something happens?

For example, I´m in the habbit of carrying extra socks, hat and gloves (just the woollen mittens). Just in case I fall through some ice or get caught in some weather.

• Upvote 1

Nope, carrying capacity is too important a resource to worry about extra clothing.

Now, one thing I do encourage is crafting backup clothes until there's a half hour left before it's complete. A second set of deerskin pants, or an extra bearskin coat, which doesn't decay with time? Well worth the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

That's a nifty little idea from @Jimmy, I never thought of doing that :) 

As for me I never carry spare clothes either. I always try to craft a full set of fur clothes when I can and keep them maintained. As the furs are pretty hard wearing it would usually take a few animal attacks before they're wrecked. But I always carry around a few pieces of cloth to repair my socks and the 1 wool toque I wear. 

As for falling through the ice I either get back to base A.S.A.P. or start a fire to dry out. 

I dont carry spares but i do store every piece of clothing i have in different areas. I try to keep it the same in all areas. Like the same protection even if not the same items. For just incase if i get attacked and clothing gets ruined or i need to warm up. I do the same with pretty much everything. Try to keep a can or 2 of soda or water a few cat tails enough wood for 2 hours of fire pretty much enough supplies at every location if possible if i need to tuck tail and run to re gain my footing.

I never carry any back ups... but I do stash backups all over the place.  If I come across a good piece of  clothing or gear, I repair it up and store it in one of my hole-up locations (I usually keep a list of spots I've stashed gear - though I don't usually list what I stashed, just that I have a stash there).

This way if I have an emergency that I can't immediately take care of with the basic kit I run around with... I know I'm rarely very far from one of my stashes.

It does seem like overkill to carry spare clothes: carry weight is such a premium; serious attacks that leave clothes ruined usually present more pressing issues than lack of clothes; similarly falling through ice. That said, I've just had my life saved by a ruined cotton hat. I wasn't carrying a bandage(!). Had a bad wolf struggle so the hat  became bandages in time to stabilise me at 12%. But no one recommends travelling without bandages...

I don't carry any spare clothes because carry capacity is just too precious to waste on that. However, I do keep spare clothes at my bases in case I lose something to a mauling. I keep a detailed journal of my inventory at every one of my bases or stash spots, that way I know exactly where to go if I need anything replaced. Probably overkill/OCD but I like to stay organized. 

I keep better quality clothing stashed at bases all over the world. But the only extras I tend to carry with me are 1 good hat, 1 good pair of socks, and 1 good pair of gloves. But I tend to leave them behind if I am not traveling far, and am only going out a short ways to collect firewood, collect snared bunnies, go fishing, or go for a deer hunt. I will take a hat if I go out to clear wolves out from around my home, mainly because if I end up in a struggle, hats (wool toques in particular) seem to be their favorite side dish to go with the bits of my flesh they take, lol. (Stalker/Voyageur runs mostly.) Pilgrim runs, I don't need to worry as much (in my mind), because the weather is not so bad, and the wolf isn't going to attack me unless I walk up to it and poke it in the face. 

Loper? I never live long enough to find much clothing, let alone have anything "extra" to carry.  ;) 

• Upvote 1

In my longest running game, I have a stash of rare and top quality clothing items like the Mackinaw jacket stashed away at my main base in the Camp Office. I mostly play on Pilgrim, so the rare items become more like hunting trophies (gathering trophies?), and they make the space feel more homey and lived in. This is probably ridiculous, but if I could, I would clean up base interiors, build furniture, and even build cabin-like structures of my own. 😂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, devamadhu said:

This is probably ridiculous, but if I could, I would clean up base interiors, build furniture, and even build cabin-like structures of my own.

Nothing ridiculous at all in that... there have been several discussions among the wish lists of the desire to be able to do more to customize our living space.  I very much support the idea too.  It would be a really nice touch to be able to do some of those things you've suggested.  (I don't know about actual base building though... that might be a bit much - but it's still a neat idea)

Whether that happens or not, I'm indifferent...  I love the game for what it is, but I would also love to see us be able to better customize our living space.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2