single region challenge!

RegentRelic

I challenge you! In celebration of episode three I challenge each of you to competition to see who is the so is the true master of each region. To start I think we should go in swinging with forlorn muskeg, I've tuned the difficulty to make this the ultimate challenge! This game mode will not only punish you for your mistakes but for what you do right as well (the code is 8snM-/z8P-Dw9v-zaK+-OAEA). Alright so the rules are simple use this code and don't leave the region and of course things that are generally considered cheating. We do have to use the honor system and there really isn't a way to know if your just pulling numbers out of a hat but pleas don't. Right now the score to beat is 38 hours, not the highest but not to low I think it is a great place to start.

I will make a sister thread in survival stories.

Yeah, I've done this one. I got 44 hours on my first try but died due to resting too long and getting dehydrated while asleep. I can probably beat my previous record fairly simply with a bit more attention.

However, there's a few things you should note if you plan to try this challenge in the Forlorn Muskeg:

- 0% chance of a heavy hammer spawn

- 0% chance of a bedroll spawn

- 25% chance of a magnifying lens

Thus, for semi-permanent survival, you'll need to rely on stealing deer kills from wolves, and trapping rabbits. Without a bedroll, there's only a single bed in the Muskeg region. And unless you get the magnifying lens, your supply of matches will be your measure of how long you can survive. Since you'll lack the means to craft a bow, you won't be crafting wolf hide coats or bear hide bedrolls. This means cold weather will be your biggest challenge past the initial month of survival. Setting up camp near Marsh Ridge will rely on making a snow shelter, and that means cloth, which is a rare resource in this region. Also, unless you're spending time each day repairing the shelter, eventually you'll run out of cloth.

Now, theoretically, infinite survival is possible. If you have the magnifying lens, you can set up base camp at Old Spence Family Homestead, using snares to harvest rabbits for infinite calories. However, in practical terms, the rabbit spawn areas are simply too far away from this location. A better option might be setting up a snow shelter near your rabbit field, but this runs the risk of shelter decay, and also means you'll be travelling back to use the workbench each time you have a haul of broken snares.

So, it would be doable, but incredibly tedious.

Are it looks like you are using the same code but I have tried twice once I died at 38 hour and the other I am still going at 40 hours and have only seen one rabbit. The first time I found a bed roll in the poachers camp. I didn't find the hammer either time.

Edited by RegentRelic
  • Upvote 1

Good to know! Must mean the loot tables are different on Custom compared to Interloper, even if the rarity settings are the same. Interloper has no bedroll spawns in Forlorn Muskeg, so I'd assumed this custom game would be the same.

If you're hunting bunnies, Marsh Ridge and Muskeg Overlook are the locations to be. Since snares are a flat percentage per day chance of catching rabbits so long as it's within the spawn area, with enough snares you're guaranteed enough calories per day. That's why I tend to save my reclaimed wood for snares instead of burning it.

I tried to get to the over look but kept getting cut of by wolves. Since I didn't get the matches on the work bench I didn't want to start a fire just to get there. I am currently at The lower bind. I've used a flair to start a fire at the homestead, now I have some matches though from the abandoned camp.

Edited by RegentRelic

Guest jeffpeng

@Jimmy great writeup!

I wouldn't say "infinite", not by any means of the word. I've stretched it pretty far doing 60 days in TWM without using the Hut, living in the Three Way Cave in a Snow shelter. Now this is an infinitely worse base case. There is no cave like the TWC in TWM where you could built a snow shelter and be protected from wind while also receiving at least a mild temperature bonus. Regardless of that: I think this is the way to go. But the cold will eventually progress too far for sleeping in you snow shelter.

I'm planning on attempting this on the weekend, and I've already got a pretty good gameplan.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Must mean the loot tables are different on Custom compared to Interloper, even if the rarity settings are the same. Interloper has no bedroll spawns in Forlorn Muskeg, so I'd assumed this custom game would be the same.

Actually I played a lot of harder-than-interloper custom games, and the loot tables should be exactly the same. No idea how and why one should find a bedroll or a hammer.

Edited by jeffpeng

Yeah, I'm on my second run now, I'll post whether I come across any unusual spawns. So far it's got straight Interloper level gear, though.

4 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

I tried to get to the over look but kept getting cut of by wolves. Since I didn't get the matches on the work bench I didn't want to start a fire just to get there. I am currently at The lower bind. I've used a flair to start a fire at the homestead, now I have some matches though from the abandoned camp.

This run, I got chased by wolves from the Bunkhouses all the way to the foot of the climb up to the Muskeg Overlook. It's not that big a deal, though. There's a few deer around that you can use to shake off the wolf once you get there. So long as you keep moving and have a torch in hand, the risk involved is minor.

Guest jeffpeng
3 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

I've never seen the hammer but like I said there was a bed roll that first time, wasn't there the second.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying that I'm as confused as @Jimmyas my previous experiences did suggest that Interloper loot tables and Custom Interloper-ish loot tables are 1:1. Maybe they changed something after all? Maybe the loot tables are not up to date (while I doubt that)?

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Not saying that that we will do it yet but, my random number generate says the next region shall be mountain town any objections. If not then I am going to start some time later in the day on Saturday. Same code. Right now the score to bet on Forlorn muskeg is 44 hours from @Jimmy.

I've given it a try anyways, and I think I can beat that 44 hours already in this run. 24 hours in, already at hat creek, everything I need for a snow shelter .... this run could go a week or more. 

Also: Mountain town is gonna be rather lengthy. I can think of staying alive there for a month or and more.

Update: 29 hours, 80ish percent, snow shelter done, 10 matches left and food for roughly 8 days.

Update 2: Progress so far:

screen_71224891-09fa-4dbe-b2de-b5de95226291.thumb.png.124aad55c1ccf3e9b3278e19c3727cbd.png

Ah right... a short summary how I got here.

I spawned near BR transition at around 6pm. Luckily realized very quick where I was, sprinted picking up a few sticks, and almost ran into a bear. Real near miss - was touch&go. Made a ballsy sprint accross weak ice, bolted from a wolf and actually made it in one piece to spence. Found the Ski Jacket and the hacksaw (at which point I knew there is no maglens), plus my matches. Warmed up and rested. Got the dog food and my work boots from the safe. A blizzard grounded me for a bit, but I had clear skies at around 2 pm and made a sprint to high blind and then to Poacher's, where I warmed up again and found an extra sweater.

Leaving Poacher's I had another near miss with another bear, and almost ran into 4 wolves. Right before Hat Creek I found my first deer carcass, but couldn't take the guts since I was worried about the wolves at the radio tower. Got through the cave totally exhausted, found the "cavelet", made fire, tore up my 2 sweaters and my shirt, as well as my underwear and my socks, built my snow shelter and, well, here I am. I found another deer in the cave which I harvested later, as well as a third deer on the cliff coming from Marsh Ridge to Hat Creek. That last deer cost me 20% condition just to get the meat and skin, but I will recover that eventually. I used an opportunity when the wolves at the radio tower were absent and double checked for the maglens - but to no avail. But I got my driving gloves there and some much needed firewood. 

Stock: 9 matches left and a flare, 23 cattails, 1 can of beans, 3.5kg rabbit, 2.5 kg venison, 41 sticks, 3 books and 20 torches, a 72% hacksaw, 6 guts, 3 deer skins, 4 rabbit pelts curing in the nearby cave, 8 reishi teas, 2 birch bark teas. Clothing is a 50% Ski Jacket, 77% Jeans, 39% work boots, and 38% driving gloves. I still have 3 scrap metal at Spence's.

The biggest problem right now is firewood, although I will take a small expedition to lower blind to help alleviate that and possibly find the Abandoned Camp, which could possibly yield more matches and an urgently needed can opener. Plus the cave will respawn some coal eventually. Food will run low eventually, but I hope to make some more cattails and that at least 2 rabbits will respawn fairly soon.

I still require another rabbit pelt and at least 1 more gut, plus 2 more guts to make fishing tackle since I had no luck finding a sewing kit. Then I could go craft a rabbit hat, rabbit mitts and deerskin pants. That would buy me 6+5.5°C, at which point I could consider making attempts to crash a deer or two, or make some lengthier expeditions. But considering that will take me until at least day 13 (now being at day 7) I still have some milage ahead of me. Optimally I would even get 2-3 guts surplus, and then I could craft a few snares. I still have 2 crates left to break a spence.

If all works out really really well I could possibly scrape by to see day 30.

Edited by jeffpeng
Update, Update 2, recap, stock, thoughts, typos

You can finish your current runs but I am going to get started on mountain town. My new score is 48 hours. I was camping at the abounding camp near the low bind. Everything was going great I had enough hide and guts for pants and a few snares food for a few days and plenty of energy to get back to the Spence homestead in the morning when the worst thing happened, the Aurora sent some wolves into my camp.

Edited by RegentRelic