Noticed a conflict in the new Wolf AI

coyote86

Loving the new Wolf AI - It's much more challenging and since im a harcore fan, Stalker mode is a must. I've progressed to day 17 and so far i have used more than 10 bandages.

About the problem - I was exploring Coastal Highway on the Iced area (specifically, near Jackrabbit island) and there was a Whiteout. There were no wildlife whatsoever. (Note: Encumbered with 36 kg. Note 2: Using the Wolf Coat; Note 3: Carrying 9 kg of uncooked meat) After the Whiteout ended and everything became clear again for me, i noticed how every wolf i could lay my eyes on was charging after me from a really far distance. At first i didn't believe it but eventually i was assured - they were definitely charging at me and right before i pulled my rifle, they began running off "scared" from the Wolf coat, i presume.

After that, they went in their normal AI state of exploring.

It's probably not something big but i wanted to point that out since every little thing counts for you guys.

Cheers!

That's some strong aroma to those k-9's alright...

Also yes, it's the scent from the meat. In addition, if you are harvesting Deer and there are wolves in your eyesight, refer from harvesting the whole thing... They come in a pack and wreck you a new one..

Yeah I am having my best "worst" playthrough ever, i have been unable to locate a rifle in mystery lake, and like the mildly obsessive person I am refused to leave until I do so.(Even my bunker had no rifle - lol) Also no sowing kit.. Anyway thats a problem for another thread, back on subject, I can't even harvest a bunny now without having to mad dash back to my home. I harvest the rabbit hide first, and the meat last because the moment you "loot" your first 0.5 pounds they are going to come from miles away. Especially if there is a strong wind blowing your scent.

Don't get me wrong I too love the new wolf AI and hope Hinterland don't change it for stalker mode. Or at the very least give it a month so people can adapt to the changes. Day 97 no rifle and I'm still managing so it can be done. Also has anyone else noticed issues with campfires no longer scaring wolves away? I tried that strategy to "thaw" a corpse and attempt to harvest the meat all in one go, and got attacked right next to my fire. Lived but quickly returned home.

Minor details: I am naked except for rabbit mittens, and soon to have boots, wolf coat is in the works. Not sure if wolves make judgement based on fashion but based on the comments it appears the coat might do something... hmmm.

Yeah I am having my best "worst" playthrough ever, i have been unable to locate a rifle in mystery lake, and like the mildly obsessive person I am refused to leave until I do so.(Even my bunker had no rifle - lol) Also no sowing kit.. Anyway thats a problem for another thread, back on subject, I can't even harvest a bunny now without having to mad dash back to my home. I harvest the rabbit hide first, and the meat last because the moment you "loot" your first 0.5 pounds they are going to come from miles away. Especially if there is a strong wind blowing your scent.

Don't get me wrong I too love the new wolf AI and hope Hinterland don't change it for stalker mode. Or at the very least give it a month so people can adapt to the changes. Day 97 no rifle and I'm still managing so it can be done. Also has anyone else noticed issues with campfires no longer scaring wolves away? I tried that strategy to "thaw" a corpse and attempt to harvest the meat all in one go, and got attacked right next to my fire. Lived but quickly returned home.

Minor details: I am naked except for rabbit mittens, and soon to have boots, wolf coat is in the works. Not sure if wolves make judgement based on fashion but based on the comments it appears the coat might do something... hmmm.

Indeed, Wolf Coat is a crucial part in one's playthrough (I have noticed that it works only when it is above 80% condition). Still it has a 60% of scaring wolves away (the other 40% are quite troublesome)

Considering the lack of a sewing kit, i would recommend you start harvesting rabbit/wolf pelts as well as gathering a bunch of leather and crafting yourself a "survivor" gear. It gives a tonne of protection against temperatures.

The only problem i see in your case, is that they're gonna take a lot of time making. And im not sure that the Wolf Coat can be made without a sewing kit.

Cheers!

Indeed, Wolf Coat is a crucial part in one's playthrough (I have noticed that it works only when it is above 80% condition).

Hm, this might explain a lot of erratic wolf behaviour I encountered lately.. (one day a huge aggression range, the next day a much smaller one - wasn't injured/tired or carrying around meat either day). Thanks a lot for the info!

I'm noticing several issues with the new wolf AI, some of which seems very unrealistic and makes the game sometimes extremely difficult to play on normal mode. Granted I'm no survival expert, but I do live in an area where there is quite a bit of wildlife.

Currently, the wolves seem to be surrounded with the most issues. I'm constantly getting attacked and stalked by wolves. It seems there are wolves everywhere, almost to the extent they outnumber deer. These dogs are reproducing like rabbits. This just seems a bit odd. However, it would be understandable if it somehow ties into the plot, but you're just not gonna see that many wolves scattered about in such a small area.

Mystery lake has several issues. I've actually seen wolves seem to randomly spawn on the lake. Maybe this has something to do with view distance and having my settings maxed, but on several occasions I have seen wolves just magically pop up out of nowhere on the open lake. They should wander out of the forest and or sit out next to edge of forest or other semi concealed area as poised to hunt.

Second issue at mystery lake, the wolves seem to spawn in that region and patrol back in forth in the areas you need access to, like they are guarding the fishing holes. Even if you kill the wolf, they can respawn and go back into patrol mode on mystery lake. It just seems odd/unrealistic that 2 wolves would spend the entire day walking back n forth on two sections of the lake and not chase the deer clearly visible across from them. Most wolves will either wander, track, and scavange for food or sit at rest/groom care for each other. They're not going to patrol sections of the lake all day and in really bad weather.

At the red train cargo containers, near mystery lake, the wolves will get stuck in attack mode constantly running around the area you're sided against. They won't stop until you run out of food and die or attack and kill. Again, the patrolling issue here, wolves just seem to be patrolling back n forth, not really doing anything survival related.

At some point, wolves seem to go into this mode switch between attack, stalk, and prone creating some kind of hiccup sound. It's quite strange and the dogs head seems to morph around.

Another thing to note, bucks can actually attack just as much as wolves. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a buck chase a wolf away or even come at a human.

Please take with a grain of salt, but here's what I would think make the game more enjoyable and engaging to play.

* Consider adding a new mode/level. One which wildlife flees more often, yet can still randomly attack.

* Consider adding more wildlife other than wolves. Deer normally out populate wolves.

* Where's the moose? Caribou? This is Canada right?

* Consider adding skunk, wolverine, and badger. Cool to have in game.

* Bucks can actually attack and do just as much damage as wolves, however, it wouldn't be fun to constantly get attacked at both sides, wolves and bucks all game.

* Consider adding another two states to the wolves: a 'scan horizon'/tracking mode, maybe sniffing at the ground, and resting or grooming mode. Add a mode where the wolves aren't all ballz out to kill YOU.

* Consider adding ability to craft spears and other weapons from wood, antlers, and bone. A good spear will keep any wildlife at bay. I wouldn't mind bow in arrow. However, I don't think you're going to get something like that to work very well in such cold with gloves on, let alone keep it working. Spears however, will last and can keep wildlife from constantly attack and causing wounds. They can also improve your ability to carry extra weight, move with an injury, or just move faster.

* Consider adding cross country skis, with ability to scare off wildlife with ski poles, or outrun.

Archived