Utility Belt and Hardiness

MrsHoneypot

Has anyone already suggested a utility belt? We could have a "physical" representation of the quick menu.

The belt would allow storage for tools, a fire kit, snacks and drinks. It might be good for more even weight distribution.

Also, I know that we have the badges for more stamina when running and things like that. But, what about a Hardiness mechanic where you get used to the weight you carry, the clothing and the generally tough conditions? It would be a gradual increase in carrying capacity and distance you can travel in a day. 

Does this already exists? What am I missing, here?

Guest jeffpeng
12 hours ago, MrsHoneypot said:

Has anyone already suggested a utility belt? We could have a "physical" representation of the quick menu.

The belt would allow storage for tools, a fire kit, snacks and drinks. It might be good for more even weight distribution.

Maybe I'm not getting the point, but what exact purpose would this serve except potentially more maximum carry weight?

12 hours ago, MrsHoneypot said:

Also, I know that we have the badges for more stamina when running and things like that. But, what about a Hardiness mechanic where you get used to the weight you carry, the clothing and the generally tough conditions? It would be a gradual increase in carrying capacity and distance you can travel in a day. 

With such progressions there is always a problem, in my opinion: You either make the game harder early, or easier later, or a little bit of both. As things are later in the game you already have (then) relatively easy to acquire ways to improve your carry weight by 10kg: The Satchel and Well Fed. In the early game it is rather hard to maintain well fed, and downing a moose, curing the hide and subsequently crafting a satchel (or make the trip to a certain remote location where you can find one) requires equipment you might not yet have and time you cannot yet afford.

I mean I see that later in the game you tend to carry more stuff and heavier clothing around with you, and that moving a base with like 100 kg of supplies can be a tiresome endeavour. But - again: in my opinion - an important part of being a well equipped survivor is to choose your equipment according to the situation. Going for a hunt? Pack the rifle. Going on an expedition? Pack some light, non-smelly food, and maybe a bit more firewood than you usually would, but settle for the bow. Making a quick back and forth between two bases? Running shoes and a windbreaker might be the better choices compared to a bear hide and Mukluks, and the flare gun should be the only safety net you need. In short: limits create choices, and choices make a game interesting.

One argument that could be made is that such positive progressions already exist. You get better at fishing, firestarting, cooking, shooting, pretty much everything you do. But that last part is the key to why that works: You do those things actively. Running around with a heavy backpack is something you don't do for the sake of it. Plus the game has been built around those progressions, and they are in place to mitigate negative progressions. Getting better at cooking and fishing is a way to combat the progressing scarcity of food in the world. Getting better at mending offsets that you will eventually run out of sewing kits. Getting better at shooting counters that you will eventually run out of ammunition. Getting better at carrying stuff would to some degree offset the world getting colder,  but again I feel like that's been taken care of already. So in essence this would pretty much only help to make a fortunate circumstance (having to much gear to carry) even more fortunate.

More max weight was exactly the point of a utility belt. Also, something more to craft when you're at a loose end.

I haven't crafted the moose satchel yet. I'm still learning maps.

The Hardiness thing was just an idea. Thanks for your well thought-out answer, I appreciate it.

• Upvote 1