Hatch Check - I was disappointed

RandomP1ayer

I find myself pretty banged up having just survived another attack from yet another marauding wolf,  as I am trekking thru Mystery Lake on the way to the dam to see if I can find a hacksaw.   As I am trekking into a head wind, my condition was starting to drop pretty low and with that gnarly head wind holding me back,  I seek temporary refuge in the old train car near the log sort.  As I am administering to myself, I hear that  "uuhh" sound the wolf sometime make when they are close by and drop dead. As I am looking about from the inside of the train car, I see this black shape up the side of the hill.   You can make it out if you look pretty much right in the middle of the pic, just to the left of that tree.

screen_2d573cff-fc3c-4bbf-b103-ad620f80bbf8_hi.thumb.png.3c7b87577366510ff72fcede31a093b5.png

Being low on supplies I decide I should go harvest the wolf while I have the opportunity.  I fix up my gear and start making my way over to the other side.

screen_a69768c6-8165-4515-ba5d-01067f3d41db_hi.thumb.png.4034741387e3830e9ba940bcf0ccb457.png

As I make my way around the rock ledge, I finally get a clear view of my goal and Surprise!  Not a wolf carcass but a friggin hatch!  HA, I actually laughed out loud to myself. 

Found me a Hatch!   

screen_d8dc456e-a32a-40fe-8c87-0aae0f2a373d_hi.thumb.png.99223862f9a68f3bbe0952537ed628f7.png

Looking back down at the train car from the hatch.  So excited to enter this hatch.  This is the first time I've found a hatch.  I never go looking for them at any rate so this just icing on the cake.  I break out my storm lantern and get ready to enter the hatch.

screen_5f3813ad-ce48-45a4-943f-ea26652806bc_hi.thumb.png.fb3d12eaa58f800b6746823d63f19f18.png

Wow, this place musta been here for a very long time.  Big tree roots have broken in thru the ceilings and are growing thru the walls.  It's been pretty damp in here too as the ladder is covered in snow and icicles.  I can't imagine that there's much if anything worth salvaging...

screen_7d12c21c-b4c0-4216-8908-16b0d1435c7d_hi.thumb.png.b24abca8140192de24c7969ea12f44cc.png

I turn around and it's just a little room with a few shelves some crates and a bed.  I took the liberty of breaking down the crates to see if there way any loot and I dropped the reclaimed wood where I found the crates.  The items on the floor were either on or in the crates.  I checked the vent and found a signal flare shell.  

screen_45c57012-f4d2-48c7-96f7-43876cee500b_hi.thumb.png.8fad84287c6f89167c6da72069d2b0fc.png

Mostly just canned goods and some water.  No weapons, no bullets, no arrows, no meds either.

screen_f2adc8f9-2ed0-4ea6-84a6-7100b2295966_hi.thumb.png.6aa772c53ca7a396ace2e10e41573503.png

Whetstone was good to find.  File cabinets were empty except one, it had an orange soda in it.

I guess this is the legendary food hatch.  From the looks of things, who ever built it, musta built it as a fallout shelter, given the poster on the wall.  

It looks like it may have been used off and on over the years considering the MRE and plastic water bottles.  Those tree roots though are huge making me think that this space has been abandoned for a very long time.   

Wow, I never discovered this hatch. Are there two in ML ?

Do they spawn in different places ?

The one I discovered is down the road from the logging camp, passing through clear cut, and up the hill. 
It’s basically all the way in the corner of the map. 

-t

Edited by turtle777

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, turtle777 said:

Do they spawn in different places ?

Non-Interloper games have two hatches, one in Mystery Lake, one in Pleasant Valley. The locations and the loot differs, but they are always there - but always just one per map. The loot is often themed, like sometimes you find a ton of medical supplies, sometimes a huge amount of weapons, sometimes a massive amount of food. The "Abandoned Prepper's Cache" is an exception as it is always there and does not count as a Prepper's Cache. So in PV you will find this one and one random, stocked cahce.

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@RandomP1ayer
I know you mentioned you were disappointed... but I'd be ecstatic to find a cache like that.  If rationed in the right way, that's food for a month :D 

:coffee::fire:

I would rather find a Food Cache over a Firewood Cache any day.  Especially a Food Cache with 2 can openers, a whetstone, and several Go Juices.   And coffee. The magical, wonderful coffee...

• Upvote 2

I actually prefer the Tools cache first, Clothing second, Food and Weapons about evenly after that, Medical, then firewood last. But that's just my preference, and i stopped actively looking for Prepper's Caches about 1000 hours ago. I only check if I am close to a possible location during my regular travels. Generally, I seem to find them during a harsh blizzard or heavy fog, when the game seems to take pity on my and throw a hatch at my feet. (I run into them... like. literally stub my gal's toes on them in the whiteout, lol!)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the great comments.  I guess I should consider myself lucky that I didn't find the firewood hatch!  lol

But the whetstone is a good and the energy drinks very useful.  Not sure if there's food for a month like @ManicManiac mentioned but  the foodstuffs will certainly keep me fed until I can find some weapons and get to hunting.  

@RandomP1ayer
Well certainly not to maintain being "Well Fed" for a month, no... but if rationed very carefully (consuming only what you absolutely need to stay alive) then yes you could stretch what you found in that cache for about a month.  Granted it's not a pleasant life and you deal with a lot of "chronic fatigue" and dangerously low condition... but it's still surviving.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac