Wendigos

RegentRelic

If there is ever going to be a mythological creature in the long dark these would be it. They fit every thing in the setting, there humans driven by the cold and starvation to madness and cannibalism. Just imagine the horrific scenes of men driven mad by the way there world has been changed, I think this would make a great story element in fact I would wager that hinterland has plans to incorporate them or something similar in to wintermute. @Raphael van LieropI see your online (or was when I started writing) I am sure you have heard stories of these fallen men, living in Canada and all. tell Is my gambit a worthy one.

The day they add cannibals (or zombies, or anything of that ilk) is the day I uninstall the game.

The beauty of TLD is that it's you against the elements with the odd crazy animal here and there.  It doesn't need anything more than that.

Edited by Gazbeard
  • Like 1

This is a wintermute thing. I would never want these in sandbox but  wendigo's definitely fits the light mythology in wintermute, the old bear, methuselah, the aroura, the numerus Paradise lost references. This isn't a wish that I want added to the game I think hinterland has at least a draft of wintermute that involves them. Even if they never refer to these wild men as wendigos.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, Gazbeard said:

The day they add cannibals (or zombies, or anything of that ilk) is the day I uninstall the game.

The beauty of TLD is that it's you against the elements with the odd crazy animal here and there.  It doesn't need anything more than that.

I'm with you on that.  If they do add "supernatural" creatures, I would be okay with it being a "case of mistaken identity", perhaps. A bear with an old injury, or unusual coat color (like a White Spirit Bear), that might make them look different than the "average run-of-the-mill" bear. But not change their behavior, pathing, or give them fantastical abilities. Same with a wolf, a moose, a deer, a rabbit with white fur and red eyes (run away, run away!). Or, as suggested above, a "special" thing in 4DoN someday, perhaps. But Wendigos as part of the regular Survival and Challenge Mode games? Nupe. Not for me. 

Perhaps some day when we have full Modding Support, you can create, or ask a modder to create such a thing. So you can play the Mod, if you choose, without expecting everyone to be into the idea. 

• Upvote 3

well the people of st.catherines seem to have thought they were real enough to have a mass panic in 1997. Same with the 100+ woods men and hunters that went after old Efrem in 2014 in the high Uinta's (it ended up being a bear that we were hunting because of two lone hikers being killed by cougars, a group of three boy scouts from the same cause and four disappearances that  the forest service has given a cause to yet and a bow hunter that was actually killed by the bear. But it is still a fun story that I think I will put in the out doors section.) And the various stories still coming out Ontario. The native American legend is a enduring one probably because of the experiences of the ancient people who made them. The name Wendigo is just another name for a human gone feral. *cough* black rock prisoners who already have it out for civilization going just a little more crazy *cough.

Don't over look the fact that they already have various mythological elements in wintermute though most of them can be looked at as magic or just strange set of occurrences. I totally agree that any "magic" in any thing that isn't wintermute (not counting the aroura) would feel really weird.

Edited by RegentRelic

Ok...I rather like the mostly realistic threats we have in the game.  Yeah, the geomagnetic disaster defies known physics, yeah the wildlife behavior isn't consistent with what we would expect, but it's overall hypothetically believable.

Something like a Wendigo or Sasquatch, I do not support in a serious sense.  However, I would be willing to accept a pseudo-entity, like a hallucination or image that flickers through the display very briefly on maybe one in 10,000 playthroughs.  Just enough to spark a bit of controversy, and get the rumor mill going.  Maybe one guy in the entire world happens to capture it on Bandicam, and ignites a quest to find the creature.

But only as a meta-element. Not something critical to the story.  Just a "bonus feature" easter egg for particularly dedicated players to find.

1 hour ago, RegentRelic said:

I feel moved. I guess this is a statement that wendigos aren’t part of wintermute.

We don't know what is part of Wintermute Ep 3, 4 or 5, other than Timber wolves and blue flares. The stuff Raph has teased in the Dev Diary. 
And I would guess that the story has already been mostly written, with an ending already in view for the writers and Creative Director.  And if they never intended Wendigos or Freya or Santa Claus or hot air balloons to be in the story, they aren't going to add them just because some players say they want them. The time is being put in making map changes, tweaking settings, finding and squishing bugs, optimizing the game as much as they can, creating animations and art, ect. Adding new creature, with their own art and animations, new mechanics, things that they never intended to have in the story and the game... we've waited a long time already. And asking them to add this, so close to the date they have given us for Episode 3? And/or  change things completely for Episode 4 & 5? How long do you think we all should wait so Wendigos can be created and made to fit into an already written script? None of us can make a "statement" about it. We can only give our opinions on how we feel about something like this being added. They may surprise us, and have something really unexpected thrown in. We'll find out in 15 days, when Episode 3 ships.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well since they moved this thread to wish list rather then wintermute I will guess there not going to be in episode three. Unless there trying to throw me off their scent. I'm not trying to make a statement that they should be added. This thread was started do to me making a prediction.