Let's play : post your pictures and guess where i am...

JohnnyCanuck

On 10/12/2019 at 7:02 AM, Dan_ said:

This looks a lot like Milton Basin, on the way to the Rocky Refuge. Beautiful weather and great shot!

On 10/13/2019 at 2:07 AM, Jimmy said:

Correct!

Ahh, of course! I should have known. I was looking at those cliffs but they aren't right for HRV now that I'm looking at it again. Nice one!

On 10/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, Ice Hole said:

Ranger Cave

screen_5cf4fdaf-b6da-4e6a-9aee-c392a7dcfd1f_hi.thumb.png.8d1f8fe94457230e10f54e7ec33d32b3.png

This cave imprisoned a goat but an update set it free.

screen_7d1a0cb5-83a0-4b2a-838a-0dcb191966c3_hi.thumb.png.aa2e3eab45037b18381cfe6597b508b1.png

screen_b25c486a-4f1d-4c9a-9533-be3bb546eb43_hi.thumb.png.96c274e4ce45fff5f0b72564a7d5ad97.pngscreen_a44455f0-7ed0-44e3-b181-dae390169ee1_hi.thumb.png.c0322496f7adade8a9a0f3aa10e4f523.png

Is this the old trail from the road (right before the bridge) to the pond near the radio tower in Milton? Looks familiar. I once spent an aurora night in that cave before I realized that it was a bear cave. Woke up to him heading back, barely made it out with my ear wraps.

It's not still there is it? I though it got erased with the update just like the rope behind Grey Mother's. Unless this is from the Time Capsule. Or it's not even Milton and I'm just totally wrong. 

28 minutes ago, jhickie said:

I though it got erased with the update

After an update the route to It was obstructed.  Did some goating and then found this shallow cave.   The Steadfast Ranger update made it accessible once again. 

It seems you have the right location, but, I have not seen a bear in the cave or in this area.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, Ice Hole said:

After an update the route to It was obstructed.  Did some goating and then found this shallow cave.   The Steadfast Ranger update made it accessible once again. 

It seems you have the right location, but, I have not seen a bear in the cave or in this area.

It might not have been his cave, but he definitely didn't like me being there lol. I used to love that little shortcut from one pond to the other.

17 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I found a few candidates among my screenshots.  Here's the first:

1627658456_1-Whereisit.thumb.jpg.ceeb5296efb2bf1d27d0990aaaa5884d.jpg

OK, that one's pretty tough... no idea. I'll be mighty impressed if anyone gets this spot.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, LkP said:

Isn't that Ravine ?

No, the Ravine cave has reeds and cattails, as well as a fallen tree and a deer carcass by the entrance.  This looks more like a possible coastal highway, crumbling highway, or desolation point thing.  Guess it's time to fire up a throwaway Custom and find out.

10 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

No, the Ravine cave has reeds and cattails, as well as a fallen tree and a deer carcass by the entrance.  This looks more like a possible coastal highway, crumbling highway, or desolation point thing.  Guess it's time to fire up a throwaway Custom and find out.

Yeah you're right. What makes you sure it's not in PV (could have been added with the re-do for Wintermute) ?

Just now, LkP said:

Yeah you're right. What makes you sure it's not in PV (could have been added with the re-do for Wintermute) ?

Because I've played Ep 3 four separate times now, and while I was more mission-focused than exploration-focused, I'd like to think I would have noticed that cave by now.

2 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Because I've played Ep 3 four separate times now, and while I was more mission-focused than exploration-focused, I'd like to think I would have noticed that cave by now.

ok, make sense, I was wondering if I'd missed a clue

7 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

Do you have a name for it?

For the cave?  Hmm.....

Maybe Derelict Refuge on account of the fact that it's right below the Derelict Cabins, and provides a nice safe resting spot halfway between Thompson's Crossing and the Misty Falls cave.  Very handy in Story Mode if you're trying to knock out a couple of those side quests right away, and you're always three bars in the cold because your starting gear sucks.

Or Straight Shot Cave, since if you're heading north from Thompson's Crossing, it's a straight shot north.  Literally can't miss it, unless you forsake the river for the road like I had been doing.

• Upvote 1

@ajb1978 Thinking your first choice ties in decently. 

This is an interesting addition for survival as well.  This area had two choices for a respite and both are patrolled.  There is a wolf around this area as well so choices have become greater not better.  The only thing positive I can say is with a little goating this cave is accessible without alerting the patrol.

• 2 weeks later...