old bear won't die

tulkawen

Hello, I've heard that to take down the old bear you need to fight max 3 times.

I fought off the bear in his cave 3 times with a spear, not where he rolls me around in dirt, but when I'm stabbing him back. After the 3rd fight he came back FOURTH time at me. He didn't die after 3rd fight.

This fragment is a pain in the arse because the bear mauling animations cannot be skipped when you know your run is bad. Watching how a pixel bear is mauling you forever and even is NOT interesting, it's frustrating and boring. Not to mention, I don't appreciate breaking my mouse with 10000000000000 clicks.

Anyway, did anyone have that happen before? How do you win this? Even if you hide from him to stop blood loss, you can't really recover health anyway. There is no way Will can get mauled so many times.

Edited by tulkawen

I looked around the threads and forums, and it seems there is a bug or a serious problem with the white bar. When I fight the bear, no matter how fast I click, the white bar doesn't fill up. It hardly ever budges and doesn't even fill 10% even if I use both hands for the mouse button clicks. In spite of that the game ends the fight, favourably or not, when it's better then the bear doesn't cause blood loss after two attacks.

I repeated the procedure and a few times managed to fight off the bear three times, but he doesn't seem hurt and keeps coming back at me.

In terms of other problems, he always pulls a spear out of my hands and sometimes the spear drops inside the terrain, that's frustrating especially if you fight him off twice and he's charging 3rd time and the spear literally fell through the ground and you can't find it. I suspect it is so because a couple of times I spotted only a small fragment of its handle sticking out of the snow.

Lastly, I had the bear recharge my character several times (never mind before he picks up from the ground) but basically I still had a black screen where it said which injuries Will sustained. So, I hear the bear mauling me again before the black screen even goes away. That's really uncool when the bear jumps on you before the game allows your character to respond to controls and begin looking for the spear.

In any case, right now the fight is plain screwed up and no win, and I can't continue playing the scenario because it's probably bugged or set up to ridiculously difficult level.

Edited by tulkawen

@tulkawen

My first question is, what platform are you using? 
Never mind, you mentioned you where using a mouse.  Alright next question, what is your frame rate?
Low frame rate definitely impacts the struggle mechanics.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:55 AM, ManicManiac said:

From what I've seen in these forums folks with lower frame rates do tend to have a problem with struggles.  It was the same for me, I'd be clicking the mouse... but for whatever reason my clicks weren't registering because my frame rate was really low (something like 23 fps at the time).  Once my frame rate was at a respectable level, struggles where not an issue anymore.

I mentioned this in a few other threads:

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, ManicManiac said:

I can't offer much advice for console players... but for PC, I can say that if you have a situation where you have low frame rate I can confirm that it makes the struggle mechanics very very difficult - to the point of being a losing proposition every time.

If this sound familiar (and you are a PC player), then frame rate might be a contributing factor for you.  You can try tuning the graphic settings down a bit, it may not look as nice but if you can get your frame rate above 60-70 FPS things should work a lot better.  I had two different games behave like this... on my old laptop my hardware was easily 5 years old, and my frame rate on those two games was something like 23-32 FPS.  Turned out that with the frame rate so low, the game was basically "missing clicks" (meaning as I was tapping not all of my taps were being registered by the game).  Once I got some new hardware and improved my frame rate, suddenly click-struggles weren't a problem anymore and things were much more responsive.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:49 AM, ManicManiac said:

Well for me, I used an option in steam to display my frame rate (it's very small) in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
As far as increasing it... you can try to tweak your graphics settings a little lower, you can get better performance that way at the cost of some visual quality.  In my case the issue was I had very old hardware... so I got some newer hardware with more capacity (RAM, better graphics card, ext...)

I went from an awful 23 FPS to about 75 FPS... which by most gamers' standards is still low, but it works for me.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, tulkawen said:

How do I check my frame rate?

I used an option in steam to display my frame rate (it's very small) in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

I did a quick google search since I couldn't remember off the top of my head:
google.thumb.JPG.379444db41706548696bfefb6821fa50.JPG

apparently "howtogeek" knows 4 quick ways to see a pc game's FPS  :D 
There may be other ways that work better, but I just used the feature in steam.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@tulkawen
Another option (if you can't tune your graphic settings down a little to try to get better performance)... you might consider using the alternate struggle mechanic (press and hold to struggle as apposed to the button mashing) it's not ideal but it might help if you can't find a way to boost your frame rate.

[Addendum]
As @ThePancakeLady mentioned, it's a setting in the game options that will change up the struggle mechanic.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

If that footage accurately represents the frame rate you are actually getting when you play the game... then I'd say your Frame Rate is something in the neighborhood of 15-20 FPS.  If that's the case I'm not surprised you are having trouble with the struggle.  I'm confident that if you find a way to improve for frame rate, your mouse clicks will actually register like they are supposed to and you'll find that the struggles are very doable.

I had this same problem... once I got my FPS in the 60-70 range, the bear fight was not a problem any more.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@ThePancakeLady
That's what I meant for the second option I mentioned (and it would definitely help, your're right), but I think the issue they're having is low frame rate.
Thank you, for the life of me I couldn't remember what the proper name for that option was... I was drawing a complete blank :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@ManicManiac

I checked the frame rate. You are correct. It really is horrible, as low as 10 - 12, but when the screen is loading it said 52. :/  The recording looks really bad; when I'm playing ,the screen is smooth and not lagging.

I turned off the shadows and set everything on low. It didn't help as it raised to about 16 fps.

Strange too since my computer actually isn't a hunk of garbage. :/

@ThePancakeLady

You are my saviour in the long dark. :D

I've activated this feature and won the struggle 1st try. I'm going to keep it as I don't like breaking my mouse in general.

I've heard people using that feature to hold the button and searched the settings all over, but I didn't know it's in the accessibility tab. I was looking in other settings.

:D I feel like falling over, that fight was so hard.

• Upvote 1

@tulkawen
Great news!  I was hoping one of those two things would help.  I know there's not always much one can do about their frame rate, fixing mine ended up me saving and buying new hardware.  I'm glad the other struggle setting worked for you.

I'll look closer at the options when I get a chance and maybe I can help find some settings we might be able to tune down to get you some better performance.

Stay warm out there...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@ManicManiac

I'm really grateful you two were there to help out. I was about to give up on seeing the rest of the story.

I feel like I've set everything to minimum, so, I'm not sure what else I can turn off to improve fps.

Stay warm out there...

You too!

:D I'll take that coffee and that lovely fire. I'm giving deadman another shot and warmth in safety sounds enchanting.

@tulkawen, I'm always happy to try and help.
I suppose if you already turned the other settings down, I don't suppose there is much left to experiment with... Have you tried just lowering your resolution a little bit?  I've seen that alone help a few folks quite a bit.

Always welcome, I'll keep a cup by the fire for you. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, tulkawen said:

@ThePancakeLady

You are my saviour in the long dark. :D

I've activated this feature and won the struggle 1st try. I'm going to keep it as I don't like breaking my mouse in general.

I've heard people using that feature to hold the button and searched the settings all over, but I didn't know it's in the accessibility tab. I was looking in other settings.

:D I feel like falling over, that fight was so hard.

Awesome! 

Accessibility is for everyone... not just us "old gimpy people". So glad it worked well for you! 👍

• Upvote 1