OMG The Framerate..

selfless

@selfless Much respect for your opinion (and thanks for all you've taught me over the years).  But coming back after a long break I have a different perspective now.  Recently I've played a fair bit of Oxygen Not Included which is very math and mechanical engineering intensive... it's pretty much impossible without a solid understanding of specific heat capacity.  A spreadsheet open on the other monitor is often necessary too.

It was wonderful to come back to simple ol' TLD and just lose myself in a game without math.  I find I rarely need anything but the HUD to assess my needs and risks.  Feels more legit too, since I've never backpacked with precision, real-time measurements of temp, windspeed, carry weight, calories consumed and expended, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Again, not a complaint.  Just solid kudos to the original programming that was so smooth and is still being modified to this day.  Hope some of those guys still get credit for what they did so long ago.

Still don't understand having an exact calorie counts or degrees of heating displayed anywhere let alone as part of your simulation.  IMO reality is fuzzy and so should be the user experience and even the controlling maths.  But I've said as much before.  And so many data computations could be done in the cycles it takes to render lighting one additional object it becomes silly to place graphics on the same plane as mechanics.  But that is other.

@Ruruwawa I too play ONI though I can't say with the design commitment you express.  The most math I do is adding up my electrical circuits on a scratch pad when they start breaking down.  I enjoy the chaotic interplay of thousand systems all trying to find their entropy but instead constantly being modified by the variably influenced machines and meeb AIs attempting to obey my will.  None of my bases could (should) ever be constructed on purpose.  All of them have basic layout; I issue basic build orders many cycles in advance.  But then they get heavily modified as the simulation plays out and various tweeks become obvious/necessary until they finally become the deeply personal spaghetti monsters that only exist situationally and that probably only I could manage or love.  It's not pretty; it's fun.  But Oxygen Not Included is a fair example of an overloaded simulation.  So many conflicting systems, so many calculations, and all being manipulated and animated by real time inputs.  I've nearly crashed it more than once with a simultaneous pause-pan-changehighlightedsquare-and-zoomout request only to be surprised by its (eventual) recovery.  It's awesome in both it's scope and surfing it's limitations.  Enjoy.

• Upvote 1