Ice Hole

Wish List: Resurrection Of Previous Features

Recommended Posts

Love how you cherry picked and quoted me out of context there. Very nicely done. :)

My apologies for not agreeing with you, I am sorry if I somehow hurt your feelings by doing so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Just to be clear before anyone gets too excited about any particular resurrection plans -- our goal with Time Capsule was not to create lobbies for getting old features back. If they were removed or changed, it was for good reason. We have no intention of stepping backwards in any area of the game.

Try to enjoy the Time Capsule as a look back on the way the game used to be, particularly if you're a player who came in after some of these earlier updates. 

How can I play in the time capsule???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tohono O'odham Man said:

How can I play in the time capsule???

You go to the website page for the Time Capsule, and click on the version you want to play. You enter the Branch Password into the text field for Beta access on Steam. Time Capsule only works on the Steam version of the game.

https://www.thelongdark.com/time-capsule/

Follow the instructions at the bottom of the page after selecting the version you want to try, below the Branch Name and branch Password for it.

But be advised, some people have reported losing Feats, or having Feat progression stuck, after going back to the current version of the game.  I did experience loss of all Feats when I went back, but I had a couple of saves in progress in the current version. Loaded one up, played for a minute, and had all of my Feats pop up again. Others have reported losing kb/m controls when going back to the d current version. I did not experience that, so have no idea why others did have that issue, while I did not. I would advise making sure you have a save in the current version, so you can load it up if you go back and find Feats gone after playing the Time Capsule. And a warning that you are playing at your own risk, until Hinterland has a chance to finish Wintermute Episode 3, and turn their attention to diagnosing the causes of these issues with the Time Capsule and creating a fix for it/them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

You go to the website page for the Time Capsule, and click on the version you want to play. You enter the Branch Password into the text field for Beta access on Steam. Time Capsule only works on the Steam version of the game.

https://www.thelongdark.com/time-capsule/

Follow the instructions at the bottom of the page after selecting the version you want to try, below the Branch Name and branch Password for it.

But be advised, some people have reported losing Feats, or having Feat progression stuck, after going back to the current version of the game.  I did experience loss of all Feats when I went back, but I had a couple of saves in progress in the current version. Loaded one up, played for a minute, and had all of my Feats pop up again. Others have reported losing kb/m controls when going back to the d current version. I did not experience that, so have no idea why others did have that issue, while I did not. I would advise making sure you have a save in the current version, so you can load it up if you go back and find Feats gone after playing the Time Capsule. And a warning that you are playing at your own risk, until Hinterland has a chance to finish Wintermute Episode 3, and turn their attention to diagnosing the causes of these issues with the Time Capsule and creating a fix for it/them.

Thank you. I have it on Xbox. I'm surprised hinterland didn't make the time capsule for Xbox one and PlayStation communitys. Laziness on hinterland i guess. Why make the time capsule for only one platform. Well thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I'm in the camp that believes the majority of players are just fine with the changes once they adjust. 

"The species that survives is the most adaptable to change." haha

I'm in that camp too, but i also think there's nothing wrong discussing what needs improved upon those changes as long as you're not demanding and are open to understanding why it is the way it is now.

Most of us post suggestions here on the forums because we love the game, not the other way around. Otherwise we'd follow the advice of  just not playing it. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tohono O'odham Man said:

Xbox one and PlayStation communitys. Laziness on hinterland i guess. Why make the time capsule for only one platform.

The way that they are doing it on steam doesn’t exist on Xbox or PlayStation. Putting it on those is a whole new ball game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tohono O'odham Man said:

Thank you. I have it on Xbox. I'm surprised hinterland didn't make the time capsule for Xbox one and PlayStation communitys. Laziness on hinterland i guess. Why make the time capsule for only one platform. Well thank you very much.

They can't add it for consoles. Steam is the only platform that gives them the tools to add old depots like this. Raph made a point of telling us that when Time Capsule came out, and he got asked about other platforms. I would love to be able to play old version on my XBox One as well, but... there is a reason why mods are not common on consoles, or rollbacks to older versions like GoG has (though I think that may only be to the last version before the current one? Not sure, I don't use GoG for anything, even though I own some games there.). I am sure that if it was possible Hinterland would have done this for all platforms. 

 

Calling them "lazy" without knowing the facts is a bit shameful on your part, in my opinion. They can only do what they can actually do.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Calling them "lazy" without knowing the facts is a bit shameful on your part, in my opinion.

Right on!  :coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

The way that they are doing it on steam doesn’t exist on Xbox or PlayStation. Putting it on those is a whole new ball game.

 

20 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

They can't add it for consoles. Steam is the only platform that gives them the tools to add old depots like this. Raph made a point of telling us that when Time Capsule came out, and he got asked about other platforms. I would love to be able to play old version on my XBox One as well, but... there is a reason why mods are not common on consoles, or rollbacks to older versions like GoG has (though I think that may only be to the last version before the current one? Not sure, I don't use GoG for anything, even though I own some games there.). I am sure that if it was possible Hinterland would have done this for all platforms. 

I feel like I just said that in a much shorter way. @Tohono O'odham Man I don't think hinterland is being lazy. I think that they are to focused on episode three to worry about find and making available obscure back doors into older versions of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

 

I feel like I just said that in a much shorter way. @Tohono O'odham Man I don't think hinterland is being lazy. I think that they are to focused on episode three to worry about find and making available obscure back doors into older versions of the game. 

And? You don't have to read my comments if you think they are too "wordy". :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2019 at 3:21 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Just to be clear before anyone gets too excited about any particular resurrection plans -- our goal with Time Capsule was not to create lobbies for getting old features back. If they were removed or changed, it was for good reason. We have no intention of stepping backwards in any area of the game.

Try to enjoy the Time Capsule as a look back on the way the game used to be, particularly if you're a player who came in after some of these earlier updates. 

Good evening Raph.  Could you please explain the rationale behind why brands were replaced with torches?  I understand the rationale behind replacing the "brandish" mechanism with "throw", but why were brands replaced with torches?  TBH this seems rather counter-intuitive to me, and if there is a solid logical reason behind it I could digest this decision better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Good evening Raph.  Could you please explain the rationale behind why brands were replaced with torches?  I understand the rationale behind replacing the "brandish" mechanism with "throw", but why were brands replaced with torches?  TBH this seems rather counter-intuitive to me, and if there is a solid logical reason behind it I could digest this decision better.

Probably better for the Milton Mailbag, and I think someone already posted this question there this week?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that if brands were "fixed" so that they could:

Be re-lit, be harvested, be burned, and be put into inventory, which would also allow for ruined brands to be disposed of (but harvesting if allowed would obviate that need),

they would, in effect become torches. You could differentiate between brands and torches - you can only pull a brand from a fire, while torches had to be crafted - but having two items that could do virtually the same things and be handled very similarly was probably thought as an unnecessary complication so brands were eliminated.  I also don't think that a flaming brand was thought to be something you could realistically throw with any degree of accuracy or range when brandishing was changed back to throwing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I tend to just go with what Raph said before:

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:51 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

If they were removed or changed, it was for good reason. We have no intention of stepping backwards in any area of the game.

---

13 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I think that if brands were "fixed" so that they could: Be re-lit, be harvested, be burned, and be put into inventory, which would also allow for ruined brands to be disposed of (but harvesting if allowed would obviate that need), they would, in effect become torches.

I think that right there is the point... if they were made functionally the same as torches then why bother with the visual distinction?  If they are effectively the same thing, they might as well be the same thing.  I feel like that makes sense.  I mean sure, having that little bit of extra variety would maybe be nice touch, but then we're talking about packing in twice the assets and animations for essentially the same object. 
 

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 8:04 AM, UTC-10 said:

I think that if brands were "fixed" so that they could:

Be re-lit, be harvested, be burned, and be put into inventory, which would also allow for ruined brands to be disposed of (but harvesting if allowed would obviate that need)

That I can harvest them - fine. Sometimes you need to pour much more wood into a fire to get it hot enough than you would need for the duration. I get that. I might have liked to see it implemented differently, like a "put out fire" mechanic, and then being able to harvest the remains for burnable material, but fine. Burned .... well .... they burn for so little it's more a mechanic to dispose of them than to actually add duration to a fire. But whatever. But the main grief I have with pulled torches is that they can be re-lit. I never craft torches. It's just not cost effective. Instead I throw surplus sticks into a fire and dance around it pulling torches until I get my >45% torches. You can't tell me that's how the designers envisioned this to work.

Edited by jeffpeng
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I can say that pulling torches from a fire just the way you and I and others do was something that the developers knew that players would resort to. Pulling torches from a fire was exactly the way to get torches without having to craft them before the devs changed them to brands. In part, at the time, they wanted to make players use kerosene to craft torches and pulling them from a fire got around that. And now that they changed them back to torches, we're back to doing just that. 

You did leave off the part of the post, "they would, in effect become torches." That was the point I was making to ajb1978 about why were brands removed and replaced with torches. There was nothing that said that the devs couldn't have made all those "fixes" to brands which would make them less of a pain, but to what purpose? They made their choice and I, for one, am quite happy they did. Others may disagree.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

They made their choice and I, for one, am quite happy they did. Others may disagree.

I agree with you.
 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now