complex hunting

peepercreeper

hunting in tld is very linear and repetitive for example to kill a wolf you just drop a decoy and pop it in the head.

deer are harder to hunt but still very simple you just crouch until you get close enough to where you can hit a head shot and bam.

bears however are very interesting if you hit the bear while its tracking you it charges but if it hasn't detected you it runs away.

moose are very similar to bears they charge you if to get too close but they wont charge you all the time if you hit them.

rabbits are easy but hard to hit since they are small and unless you are willing to use a bow or a hunting rifle you are gonna take at least a couple of tries or you could just use snares.

how ever i suggest so its not the same every time, different variables for example lets say that some wolves are not of afraid of rifle sounds but ARE afraid of getting hit so they will charge if you miss but not if you hit them or maybe some deer will actually try to charge you if you use a quite weapon like the bow but any thing that's loud scares them.

its just an idea though

@peepercreeper

You'll have to forgive me, it was a little difficult to follow your post... it took me a quick re-read to figure out what you were getting at (and still I'm not entirely sure).  A lot of the things you talk about at the end of your post are already elements in the game in one form or another (granted the bit about the buck charging us is definitely not in the game - and it would be interesting I must admit, I've seen footage of deer managing to thoroughly thrash hunters :D).

It seems to me though, that you may have just gotten yourself into a rut...  Hunting wolves is a little more dicey if you don't use decoys.  You can exercise player choice and not use them if you think hunting is getting boring.  You can also choose to not crouch when stalking deer and take "long shots."  Both of these things will change the dynamic of your hunts and very likely make things a little more interesting.

I think if you are in detection range, shooting it will certainly aggravate the beast... also like the wolves, if it's stalking you and you "aim" (use the targeting mechanic to aim in) it will also go into a charge even if it's out of the normal "attack" range.  If you are saying this behavior is boring, you might try either taking your shot from farther out (requiring more skill on your part), or you can try to rush in closer to take your shot (if you want things to get a little more dangerous).  After all, whether it's a bear or a moose... you can always choose to square off with it and see who goes down first (in other words get close enough to initiate a charge and stand your ground).

The rabbit's hitbox is already (in my opinion) way too big.  I've had throws that should have absolutely have been misses (as they didn't even appear to make any contact with the rabbit), only to have the rabbit get seeming stunned with fright instead.

My point is, if we play it safe and only use the surest method to help guarantee success, then of course it can start to "feel boring."  The good news is we can exercise player choice and if we want to inject a little more excitement into the mix again... we can test our skills and challenge ourselves by taking more difficult shots or putting ourselves in riskier positions to see if we have the wit and guile to pull it off.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

One good way to make hunting more complex AND gain a bit of realism / immersion, would be to simply increase the "detection area" of animals. If they can detect you from further, then you will have to be more cautious while approaching a deer, because it would now flee before you can take a good close-up shot. Then you would have to choose between trying a further / more random shoot, or try to get closer... It is kind of awkward when you can easily approach at only 3-5m from a deer in a plain...

18 hours ago, StrayCat said:

One good way to make hunting more complex AND gain a bit of realism / immersion, would be to simply increase the "detection area" of animals. If they can detect you from further, then you will have to be more cautious while approaching a deer, because it would now flee before you can take a good close-up shot. Then you would have to choose between trying a further / more random shoot, or try to get closer... It is kind of awkward when you can easily approach at only 3-5m from a deer in a plain...

Then the rifle sights should be altered to provide a clearer sight picture and deer should also wander more instead of being limited to a 30x30 meter area.