Time Capsule/Keyboard help

PrincessAutumn

The time capsule is great, it helps me re-live the alpha days of the game but when I converted my game to an earlier version, the character won't move, the mouse won't work either and I can't even use the escape key to exit and have to use ALT-F4 .. How can I fix this?

It also does this when I revert back to the current version of the game

Thank you

Edited by PrincessAutumn
  • Upvote 1

Are you running on linux? There was an issue like that with the version I started with, IIRC Faithful Cartographer. ISTR that I was able to get it going, but I don't really remember exactly what the trick was that I used to do so. I do think that I had to use the keyboard to get into the options menu from the main menu when you start the game and change a setting in the mouse options, but I don't exactly recall what it was.

I believe they switched up control configurations between versions so you will need to reset them to match the version before you enter play.  Opening the controls Setting and hitting Reset should get all the right variables inset.  Customizing the controls after resetting should not cause additional problems.  

• Upvote 1

I feared as much.  If you go a bit further and delete the user001.cfg file from the save game directory the game will install a new, version compatible one for you.  That should solve everything.

*BUT* Deleting will destroy all your current progress and many of your newer saved games.  So better make a copy of the entire save directory first.  Even more better, you could just rename the current save game folder "Hinterland-v1.56".  The time capsule (any version) will then automatically create whatever files it needs.  Then just delete the "Hinterland" folder when you are ready to go back to current and rename your original folder back to "Hinterland". 

*ALSO* You will have to disable Cloud Saves if you haven't already, because the way those are set up they will reject any changes you try to make and insert its own the moment the game starts up again.  It's not a friendly system and it destroys more data that it protects.  Really no one should be using it unless they have a reason to (like you want to play the same save game on your laptop as you do on your desktop).  But I think its set to "on" by default.

You are going to be handling files that can seriously mess things up, which I'm sure is why Hinterland does not want to support any of it.  But you can make this work.

Edited by selfless
'cuz
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 3:27 PM, selfless said:

I feared as much.  If you go a bit further and delete the user001.cfg file from the save game directory the game will install a new, version compatible one for you.  That should solve everything.

*BUT* Deleting will destroy all your current progress and many of your newer saved games.  So better make a copy of the entire save directory first.  Even more better, you could just rename the current save game folder "Hinterland-v1.56".  The time capsule (any version) will then automatically create whatever files it needs.  Then just delete the "Hinterland" folder when you are ready to go back to current and rename your original folder back to "Hinterland". 

*ALSO* You will have to disable Cloud Saves if you haven't already, because the way those are set up they will reject any changes you try to make and insert its own the moment the game starts up again.  It's not a friendly system and it destroys more data that it protects.  Really no one should be using it unless they have a reason to (like you want to play the same save game on your laptop as you do on your desktop).  But I think its set to "on" by default.

You are going to be handling files that can seriously mess things up, which I'm sure is why Hinterland does not want to support any of it.  But you can make this work.

Sounds good. I do have a current save but was done with it since I had done everything and was looking to start a new game. If I disable cloud saving then do I delete everything in the "Hinterland" folder? After deleting, will the app automatically make a new folder with the things needed? Also, which cfg file do I delete? Is it the regular file or the one in "TheLongDarkNoSync" folder?

Edited by PrincessAutumn
  • Upvote 1

Yes.  The program will recreate the "Hinterland" folder and fill it with all files it needs.  Deleting NoSync is not necessary.

Really old versions of the game used a different folder in a very similar path (/locallow/ instead of /local/).  Incidentally, if you played the game in the deep past and restore one of those early versions you may find your years ago saves waiting for you because those old folders were never auto-deleted.  Only the "newer" versions are having difficulty because the saved game folder hasn't been changed in a while.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...