Changes the time capsule reveals you're grateful for

Jolan

I'm been playing the time capsule and its a blast.  But its also made me very aware of things I'm grateful they changed.  Like that getting rid of really weird "wooshing" noise the flare made when you pulled.  So glad that's gone.  Having gone thru some old school struggles, got to say I'm really grateful for not only the interface change, but the fact that I can use the accessibility options when I need to.  It was fun to be harried by Fluffy again. :) Anyone else run into a change they'd hadn't been aware of being seriously grateful for?

I started playing about a year ago, so this is my first experience of the much older versions of the game. I am SO grateful for:

1. The HUD. It was incredibly weird to go back to a written list of inventory, percentages, times of day, etc. It felt like one of those ancient black screen text adventure games where you had to type in "drink water".
2. The paper doll clothing display. I imagine it was much less helpful to have to look through a list of what you were wearing, rather than a well-designed visual of actual clothing items.
3. The repeatedly redesigned inventory. Since I've been around for at least a few updates, I've been a little bummed at times when items have changed color or style. After seeing different items in various stages of development, I really appreciate the current design and color choices. Some items used to blend into the scenery and be much harder to see, like wood matches on shelves. And the level of detail, even on something as simple as a piece of cloth, is just incredible now.
4. The radial menu. I disliked the radial menu at first, but the more I've used it, the more I've come to enjoy it. Having to change into an inventory screen definitely makes the game less immersive.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 9/27/2019 at 9:35 PM, hozz1235 said:

I've been grateful for every change!  Hard to go back and play when it was so...."cludgy".  Was fun to recollect, but tbh, I don't see me spending much time in capsules.  Just makes me want to jump back to current.

I wouldn't say every change but the vast majority. Took a few looks, some before my time, some right around when I joined, but the game is so much more polished today without having "lost" anything. And that's actually the most impressive fact about this.

As for the changes I am really grateful for:

• the UI: I know many people don't like the radial - but I have a hard time playing without it. Also the way information is displayed today is very elegant and yet informative.
  • Vigilant Flame's cooking: Best change to the game, hands down.
  • The sheer size of the world: I can still spawn in a new game and sometimes not (immediately) know where I am. Amazing!
  • The sheer scope of the game: With so much to loot and discover spanning a game 100 or more days is very much realisitc without running out of things to do.
  • The improved artwork: So many textures and models have been adjusted over the years. I can't say a single one for the worse.
  • Fluffy's exodus: That thing is so annoying.
  • The overall fidelity of the world: places you enter are alive despite being abandoned. They breathe a story. Best comparision is Old Dam and New Dam.
  • HRV! (Did I mention Vigilant Flame was the best update ever?)
  • So many things I cannot think of right now

• 7 months later...

The best change:

The trapper’s homestead in Mystery Lake no longer has a chimney that generates smoke all the time. That chimney always freaked me out. Like, I kept expecting the survival mode of the game to suddenly have introduced some feral survivor who would attack me for walking into his house (though maybe I just was affected more deeply than I expected when they unexpectedly added Fluffy. I mean, I still don’t trust any interior location ever because of her).

But I also ADORE that the devs finally granted the fans the custom mode. I still haven’t utilized it, because I still want to get the achievements (again) and earn the feats, but at some point, I will only play custom mode and never look back.

I also love that they got rid of the tool select at the beginning of a Wolf struggle, because I would always panic-click the first thing (usually a fist or knife) instead of the thing I wanted to use (an axe).

I loved when they added mapping to the game, even if I’m not a huge fan of how it was implemented (fingers crossed that on the update I’ll be able to “ping” my location by drawing on an already filled out map, and it will temporarily highlight where I am, and more importantly, show which way I’m facing!).

I love that they listened to the fans and added a craftable hat.

I love every addition to the map, and for the most part, the overhauls to the maps (when they added that fence and all that stuff right outside the Dam was really exciting! And holy crap, the difference between the old, empty Dam and the new, cluttered Dam is awesome).

The game became more real and way more fun once item decay and mending became a thing, and I get a lot of satisfaction from repairing clothing that degrades over time.

Y’know, as much as I played the game in the early versions (playing since late 2014), I can’t remember the mechanic used before the paper doll for clothing (was it just done from your inventory?), which I guess means that the paper doll mechanic was a change I deemed so important that I promptly dismissed memories of the before-time.

And, of course, the overall art improvements over the years.

Oh, and for the story mode: when they changed the conversations to all have voice-overs instead of just the opening part of the conversation, and then the rest of the conversation being a jarring silence that made you think the game glitched.

Edited by WanderingPalm
  • Upvote 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:09 PM, devamadhu said:

It was incredibly weird to go back to a written list of inventory, percentages, times of day, etc. It felt like one of those ancient black screen text adventure games where you had to type in "drink water".

I *still* love those games. And MUDs. I like my games 'vintage'. Lol