imagine this game with ray tracing

peepercreeper

Ray tracing is very expensive to implement and it would be an extreme amount of work considering TLD is already 5 years old. And only a few percent of all tld players will get to enjoy it because not many people have nVidia RTX cards yet. Also there is no reflective surfaces in the world of TLD so it would still be stupid to impletment.

• 2 years later...

On 9/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Moll said:

also it wont fit TLD art style, which isnt meant to be realistic looking.

Please elaborate. Considering minecraft has ray tracing😅 TLD would benefit greatly from it in my opinion! More realistic daytime lighting in the cabins or during auroras would be incredible! 

RTX cards are more accessible these days with a little bit of(astronomical) premium. I have one incoming next week ultra hyped! Besides, rays don't have to be mandatory; they can be optional.

Here's a little quickie(40 minutes) about RT implementation in metro exodus. You don't need reflective surfaces to enjoy RT, @Skelegutplays.  Good watch. It goes over parts of the lighting that TLD has a lot of problem with(windows vs the rest of the room).

RT is becoming more accessible but you do need a new video card which have been going to astronomical prices....however in order to fix the lighting in TLD you would need to probably have world illumination which would probably destroy performance on even a 3090.

RT, IMO, is mostly a gimmick right now. Maybe in 10 years that will change but for now TLD could be fixed with traditional methods which would be accessible to everyone at a far smaller performance hit.

Slightly off topic but I think it's going to be really interesting to see the next gen of video cards from AMD. AMD will probably charge too much for them but that's just the market right now unless intel can save us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

TLD could be fixed with traditional methods which would be accessible to everyone at a far smaller performance hit.

Perhaps you are right. Or maybe RT+DLSS😁 I wonder if it'll be much easier than other AAA games, given how limited geometry is + lack of object density?

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

AMD

Let's hope! They'll definitely follow what nvidia does re:price when they become more proficient at path tracing. I've read Intel might be getting out of arc graphics. I'm trying to be optimistic that it's just a rumour at this point. We need more competition for sure!

On 9/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, Skelegutplays said:

Ray tracing is very expensive to implement and it would be an extreme amount of work considering TLD is already 5 years old. And only a few percent of all tld players will get to enjoy it because not many people have nVidia RTX cards yet.

You don't need an RTX for Raytracing. Atleast for the purposes I think of, which also are mentioned here. Rendering a fullHD image is still not or just yet possible in realtime. And for that you would need an RTX. But just for some more realistic lighting, a CPU or normal GPU is enough. There are raytracing shaders for minecraft which work without RTX, look here: 

You see how far the light travels? This is with my GTX 1080, which is not a that good graphics card. In comparison:

This is Sildurs shader, a pretty common shader. It's pure rasterization. You see, that the light doesn't travel far. It just stops.

You can see many differences more, for example sun reflection in water in the cave, which shoudln't be a thing. With raytracing, this doesn't happen. I get a much worse performance when using the RTX shader, but I mostly don't play without it, because it's just such a difference in ambience.

So now to TLD: Just like in minecraft, you could use Raytracing for specific purposes. Btw, there is already a raytracing mod out there: 

This mod has some more features, but most importantly it has a great impact on ambience. And this without an RTX.

It's difficult to build a mod from the outside to change these things and still be efficient. What could Hinterland do, if they do it themselves? I think of stoves lighting an entire room instead of just that texture appearing infront of it. A campfire in the night could light trees 10 or 20 meters away. Only slightly, but when it does, it has such a big impact on ambience. So I don't think it would be unrealistic to implement such thing.

• Upvote 1

I've read little bit into reshade path tracing and it appears you can't accelerate rays with rtx card because only way to do it is when dx12 is implemented? Does it mean you'd be stuck with poor performance unless you can brute force it with conventional means?

Screenshot_20220812-122748_Brave.thumb.jpg.784581a97e855ed74c21ca2b518c0fc4.jpg

Edit: article added. https://wccftech.com/experimental-reshade-mod-adds-raytracing-crysis/

Edited by Stinky socks
Potatoes
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I wouldn't write off DLSS. Have you googled how many games and apps support it?

I am a hardware enthusiast and have been for over 20 years so yes, I have a general idea. But FSR2 is pretty much the same and it works on more hardware and is an open standard. DLSS will be dead soon, replaced with better solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:56 AM, Stinky socks said:

Please elaborate. Considering minecraft has ray tracing😅 TLD would benefit greatly from it in my opinion! More realistic daytime lighting in the cabins or during auroras would be incredible! 

RTX cards are more accessible these days with a little bit of(astronomical) premium. I have one incoming next week ultra hyped! Besides, rays don't have to be mandatory; they can be optional.

Here's a little quickie(40 minutes) about RT implementation in metro exodus. You don't need reflective surfaces to enjoy RT, @Skelegutplays.  Good watch. It goes over parts of the lighting that TLD has a lot of problem with(windows vs the rest of the room).

I posted that 3 years ago lol. I have since changes my stance on ray-tracing in tld, and even have a rtx card of my own.

I didn't watch the video yet but i do think that ray tracing would actually be a good addition, and i now know more about it then i did in 2019.

• Upvote 1