Is the hunting lodge... haunted?

Dradeeus

So, I would TOTALLY accept it if someone said I'm wrong and crazy.
Pretty much everyone knows about the 'phone call' which cannot be picked up. Just like everyone else, I assumed it was a defect from the magnetic poles shifting.
I was in pretty bad shape and carrying waaay too much when I got there, so I decided to spend a few days at the lodge. Now, given that the hunting lodge is a little spooky, what with the barren, stripped rooms and disrepair, I may have been hearing things. But I swore I heard the average "door close" sound effect wandering around in the upstairs area. Later, down in the dining room, I thought I heard the "tea sipping" sound effect, followed by the small clink of a teacup hitting the saucer.

..Uh... did I imagine all this? Was it just the inventory stuff rattling around?
Maybe it's the polar vortex messing with.. you?

Has anyone else experienced stuff like this?

Edited by Dradeeus

17 minutes ago, Dradeeus said:

I assumed it was a defect from the magnetic poles shifting.

With respect to the lore... from what I gather, the problem the Earth is experiencing more akin to a really massive and seemingly perpetual "solar storms."  I don't think I've seen or read any indication that the magnetic field of the Earth inverted (though I acknowledge that it's a possibility - I'm only saying I've not seen any evidence from the game lore that supports your conclusion).

As for the rest, another audio glitch is possible... though another likely culprit was the various wood creaking sound effects perhaps had lined up with another ambient sound to create something that sounded like a closing door.  This has happened before... where surf sound effects would pile on one another in an area they weren't supposed to be and people here in the forums could swear they were hearing the sound of an commercial jet flying overhead.  :D  It was super interesting to know what it actually was when Hinterland had someone troubleshoot the anomaly and figured it out.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I never spend much time in the lodge, but it was a base of operations for several people who had guns and the like, maybe some are still alive and raiding your stuff muahaha. In all seriousness though, occasionally I'd stop and look around when wandering because I swear I'd hear footsteps that weren't my own stalking me. Mostly around Timber wolf Mountain, Unnamed Pond (this place has had a history of bears walking underground though), and Skeeter's Ridge. But the footsteps seem to really just be ice/snow settling or falling things from nearby trees.

• Like 1

Solar storms would explain all the stuff, huh? I assumed it was something more serious because Methusula seemed to insinuate it was a far more permanent situation.

I think the devs would love to hear that people are hearing stuff, in a game about isolation and all.

I think that's part of the draw of the game, as well.

In TLD, we've become conditioned to what sounds are 'normal' - wind, trees, our own footsteps, the occasional grumbling about cold/food/water/sleep. Outside of those sounds, everything else falls into the category of not normal. You're the only person for most of the gameplay, so any 'human' or artificial sounds are jarring and provoke an anxiety response. And sound is such and important part of the game, that even the locations we're in will change how we react.

Hear footsteps while you're walking through the snow, where there is potential danger? Crouch, listen closely - is it a wolf? Bear? Moose? No, just a rabbit or deer. Ok, we're good.

Hear footsteps while you're inside the cabin, where you're supposed to be safe? WTF THE AURORA WOLVES FIGURED OUT HOW TO OPEN DOORS AND ARE COMING FOR YOU GET UP GET YOUR GUN!!!!111 wait. That was just the wood settling.

It's great the way our own brains can fool us. :D

• Like 2

I often hear sounds which sound like other sounds.  Perfect example from last night and it kept me on edge:  while wandering around Milton, I thought I kept hearing the sound wolves make when feasting on a carcass.  Think it was the combination of the wind and creaking wood.

11 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I often hear sounds which sound like other sounds.  Perfect example from last night and it kept me on edge:  while wandering around Milton, I thought I kept hearing the sound wolves make when feasting on a carcass.  Think it was the combination of the wind and creaking wood.

With the number of wolves around Milton, it's entirely possible that's exactly what you were hearing. They do enjoy their bunny snax.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:31 PM, hozz1235 said:

If that was on the road by the credit union then that's a bug. I've heard it there too multiple times. There's a deer carcass there in wintemute that a wolf eats.