Custom animal re-spawn settings?

past caring

Basically everyone thought that the setting referred to the frequency. So low frequency = more time between events = less spawns

I think that was the intent, but somehow they mixed up the internal settings. So instead of messing around with that and maybe introduce new bugs, they just changed the description so that now: low = less time between events = more spawns 

Thanks all. Makes sense now. Also explains why after killing three wolves and a deer (yes 3) in the immediate vicinity of Milton house and in the few hours before sunset - I think it's got to be safe to go outside in the dark to harvest the final carcass - and then get chewed up by another wolf. 😂😂

@StrayCat @Serenity @Hawk - and anyone else, I'd like to revisit this....and sorry for the length of post.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm relatively new to the game and I'm not that great at it yet. So I'm playing with my own custom settings aimed at  giving myself a chance - but also a challenge for the level of skill I am at right now.

Until this thread I had been playing with "Time to wildlife re-spawn" set to "low". In my latest game I have set it to "high". On the other hand, "Wolf spawn chance" has remained constant throughout - at "medium". And I am now encountering more wolves than in any of my previous games.

In the current game, starting in Mountain Town, I am 19 days in and I have killed 12. And just so there is some context;

I have been up to the plane crash only once (1 killed up there) and taken only one run up to St Christopher's Church and Spruce Falls Bridge to loot - no wolf encounters. The same with Orca Gas Station and Milton Park - one run to loot, no wolves encountered. I have killed at least four in the vicinity of Milton House. Four or five days ago, I loaded up with my deer and wolf hides and guts and took a run down to Paradise Meadows Farm to do some clothes crafting at the workbench (I'd already done one early run down there just to loot). Not all the hides were fully cured, but I reckoned I'd base myself down there whilst the curing finished and I'd be all set to craft when it had.

Encountered one wolf on the way down and killed it. Was too loaded up to harvest it, so carried on to the farm with the plan of dumping the hides I was carrying and then heading back out to harvest that wolf. Immediately saw there was another wolf hanging around in the farm fields when I did. Killed that wolf and harvested both.

The next day, headed out to set some rabbit snares and thought I would scout out the landscape from the bluff overlooking the fields - saw a pack of three wolves stalking deer through the farm fields!! Wow - never seen more than two in the same place in any of my previous games. And this was the day after killing two wolves in the area. I have now killed that pack of three.

Headed back to the Milton house the next day to load up on supplies and got mugged on my doorstep by another wolf - that one got away.

This doesn't feel 'right' to me? Certainly I have encountered more wolves in this game than in any other. I am not going out of my way to hunt and kill them - my approach is to seek opportunity to remove them from an area I want to operate/base myself in, to at least try to give myself some breathing space. But I'm not actively seeking them out.

So 19 days in and I've killed 12 - there is now another one around the Milton house that I have not killed yet.

By contrast, I had an 81 day run a few weeks ago (36 days in Mountain Town, 27 days in Mystery Lake, 12 in Coastal Highway) where wildlife re-spawn was definitely on 'low' and I killed a total of 26 wolves - so survived 4 times as long but with (in effect) half as many wolves when, in theory, it should have been many more.

So any idea of what is happening?

I am assuming that the "chance" in "Wolf spawn chance" means precisely that - it is a chance, it is variable. So in any given game, whether you select "low", "medium" or "high" it is still a variable (or put another way, the same settings, on the same map will still result in a different number of wolves in different games). But that is the baseline, starting number of wolves? Once you have rid yourself of them, if you have set "Time to wildlife re-spawn" as high, there ought to be a noticeable delay before wolves return to the area? But that's not what is happening in my game.....

Edited by past caring
Clarity

1 hour ago, past caring said:

Headed back to the Milton house the next day to load up on supplies and got mugged on my doorstep by another wolf - that one got away.

The following day - I've left Milton House. The wolf from last night is about - winged it with the revolver but when trying to track it, it jumped me (at least I hope it's the same wolf). Lost it. Head to Paradise Meadows Farm - surprise, surprise, there's a wolf. After clearing at least 5 from the farm and immediate surrounds over the past five days. I've clipped this wolf with the revolver, but again lost it when tracking. But my journal is now showing 13 dead wolves, so I've killed one of the two I've encountered today...

ETA - following morning the log is now showing 14, so I just need to find the carcasses. But I don't need to harvest them - and I read somewhere that leaving something on the carcass and not harvesting 100% delays the re-spawn - so maybe I'll just leave them to rot.

Edited by past caring
Update

Milton is very wolf invested. Especially the house in the town. It varies by region too, depending on how spawning regions there are defined.

Once you have rid yourself of them, if you have set "Time to wildlife re-spawn" as high, there ought to be a noticeable delay before wolves return to the area?

I don't think it affects the exact time between spawn events. But that it rolls a dice after a fixed amount of time and if your respawn chance is higher you're more like to get a new wolf at that point.

I only really play Interloper, but it seems to take about a week for a wolf to respawn after you kill it. As you said it also helps if you don't harvest all of them as the corpse needs to decay first and only after that the respawn timer kicks in. You can take some things. Just leave a bit of meat on them so they aren't completed ravaged.

Sometimes they're back quickly. Sometimes you get lucky and they stay away for a while (and then you just wait to get jumped).

Edited by Serenity