merchandise

RegentRelic

I am curios, what long dark merchandise do you think is the best. I am going to have to go with the many ways to die T shirt. Now when every time I go camping and pull out my hinterland hatchet when people ask I will just say that they are the people who make the long dark and they ask what the long dark is will just turn around.

I have the afflictions shirt as well, and I also have the logo mug :coffee:. That mug is my lucky camping coffee mug, I never go without it. Just got the t-shirt in the mail over the weekend, and I love it!

If I had to put my vote in for new merch items that I would buy immediately, I would love to see the following. Of course, I do a lot of hiking and camping so some of my wish list reflects that.

• TLD firestriker
  • TLD wood matches
  • TLD toque
  • TLD pint glass
  • TLD hunting knife
  • TLD stickers

That hatchet looks pretty fancy! :hatchet:

My favorite type of merchandise is stuff that appears in the game or game art - like the Hinterland logo mug, the hatchet, and the Jackrabbit Transport hoodie (albeit to a lesser extent since it's not a jacket). The hatchet is my favorite, because the book Hatchet was my introduction to survival stories way back in elementary school.

Firearms are very restricted in Canada compared to the US. Culturally they hold a very different place in Canada than they do in the US.

Also, the rifle in the game is inspired by the old Lee-Enfield .303, which was only retired by the CAF for its Canadian Rangers (which patrol Canada's Far North) in 2018. Yep... just a little bit over a year ago. Here's a story about that: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/why-the-114-year-old-lee-enfield-rifle-is-only-now-being-retired-by-the-canadian-armed-forces

Looking at the article I think you'll see just how closely the hunting rifle in the game hews to this iconic rifle. I think it was introduced in 1904, but don't quote me on that date.

When you're thinking about firearms etc in the game remember... it's Canadian, not American, and the people making the game are Canadian, and they've got a good handle on our shared cultural heritage; the church in Milton is clearly inspired by a painting by renowned BC artist Emily Carr... furthermore she's obviously the inspiration for pretty much every tree in the game. The music you hear when you turn on the radio during an aurora is not an actual recording of Glenn Gould but might as well be...

The idea that you're going to see Hinterland selling firearms or ammunition is simply put not going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
10 hours ago, stratvox said:

The idea that you're going to see Hinterland selling firearms or ammunition is simply put not going to happen. 

I would settle for a replica. And then leave it at home all the time because it's too heavy 9_9

Edited by jeffpeng

Is it a mk Two or one that is another thing that isn't specified. The Canadian rangers should be mostly equipped with mk three but those have auto retracting bolt. which is not what we see in the long dark. I would Just assume it is mk two but it looks much more like a a mk one.

4MKII.jpeg two

Lee_EnfieldMk1.jpegone

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

To be honest, I think it's neither of them really. The handle on the rifle in the game looks more like the infamous Mauser 98, so does the action. But the magazine is very clearly from the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III, as is the .303 caliber, which has been the British standard caliber since the late 1800's and remained in service in Canada _forever_ as @stratvox pointed out. The barrel design very clearly inspired by the Mk III as well, but the additional metal wrap near the action is found on no rifle I know of. Also seem the sights to be a mix of other historic rifles of that time and look to be aligned for optic-less precision shooting rather than "rapid" repetition.

In general I think it is intentional that it's not a carbon copy of the SMLE MkIII, but it is very clearly meant to resemble this rifle. But for all intends and purposes I think it makes sense that you would find this rifle "lying around" in the frozen wildernes of Vancouver Island.

When they first re-costumed the rifle I thought it was a Browning Blk do to the fact that it looks almost identical and is a bear rifle, but quickly realized that it's front-lock. The Mauser 98 is similar in function, appearance, weight (the rifle weighing 4kg and the Mauser 3.8 unloaded) but it felt all-round longer. That is when I found this.

842537777_Lee_Enfield_Photo1.jpg.d0f2a440df338572aa2bacbe085714fb.jpg

Which clearly shows the Lee Enfield Mk 2. I would say he previous version was the mk one.

218357318_4825306861.jpg.23e30bd3e131cbf81d2fe2bac237e7af.jpg

I am not sure about the most recent one though.

Edited by RegentRelic