Gazbeard

Episode 3 Teaser ... hints and clues (spoilers)

Recommended Posts

From the trailer video and released artworks

(Assuming it all takes place in Pleasant Valley as My dodgy memory tells me Raph stated earlier this year) ...

New forge in Pleasant valley? - one character is shown aiming a bow with arrowhead on the arrow.
Revolver and rifle shown carried by Astrid.
New plane crash in Pleasant Valley (looks to be in the woods on Draft Dodgers side of the map) BUT there's 2 different images - one "could be " the summit with reworked plane (both wings and engines still attached), the other definitely at lower elevation in woodland.
New township layout at the rural crossroads with church and community hall - signal fire outside community hall.
Timberwolves not afraid of fires - one shown leaping over a campfire to get at Astrid.
Astrid has new unique toque and fur collared jacket.

What else did you spot ... and do you agree with my first observations?

Sources :

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hands in this screenshot look different, I think first person clothing is finally coming to the game!

TheLongDark_Ep3_Distress_web.png

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Azdrawee said:

The hands in this screenshot look different, I think first person clothing is finally coming to the game!

Easy now, probably best not make that big an assumption... :D ...we'll have to wait and see.
They may have just improved the model.

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it seems like Pleasant Valley will be highly modified or have some additions, because the town seems pretty large. I wonder how this will affect Survival games. Those timberwolves look pretty scary, but they seem to be running from the blue flare. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Martin Prchal said:

To me it seems like Pleasant Valley will be highly modified or have some additions

They have mentioned before that Pleasant Valley would be getting some more work done on it.  It's difficult to say.  I'm just happy to see what they have in store for us.  I've been musing on whether or not some of those scenes might be from Perseverance Mills.  I don't dare assume, but the mind does wonder.  :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the hands it my just be astride. But is they are adding gloves to the first person display I will be most satisfied.  As for predictions on episode three there are few in the wiki that are pretty sound (as far as game theory's go) I will leave a link at the bottom. One thing I am sure that other's have noticed is that the women with cigar is in the pleasant valley farmstead, we can tell from the stove with six cooking slots and shape of the room.

 

Please note some of theory's may not have had all of the information available that we now have.  

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/f/p/3121022802854381965

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

As for the hands it my just be astride. But is they are adding gloves to the first person display I will be most satisfied.  As for predictions on episode three there are few in the wiki that are pretty sound (as far as game theory's go) I will leave a link at the bottom. One thing I am sure that other's have noticed is that the women with cigar is in the pleasant valley farmstead, we can tell from the stove with six cooking slots and shape of the room.

 

Please note some of theory's may not have had all of the information available that we now have.  

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/f/p/3121022802854381965

I just watched the video again, and I think if she was in the Farmstead kitchen (where the stove is located), the fridge would be visible on the wall to her right, but there's a bench there instead. I suspect it's a different and possibly new location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True it seems like very little of episode three takes place at existing locations. I am totally fine with that it means we are going to get them added to sandbox mode. There is even reason to hope that they new locations will be added to sandbox on the same update. due to hinterland saying they will be making adjustments to sandbox in the upcoming update. At the same time it means that could mean they are adding Slovak as a language or adding more splashes for the loading screen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's going to be really interesting (and strange) to see more than one person alive at a time in this game... I'm really curious about what's going on at the "Refuge Shelter" (for lack of knowing it's proper name).

 

:coffee::fire:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it is some sort of town hall or other central location that has been converted into a makeshift hostable, due to over flow or the town just not having one. This would fit with why Astrid is trying to get there in the first place.

 

 

:peaches::fire:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, devamadhu said:

I just watched the video again, and I think if she was in the Farmstead kitchen (where the stove is located), the fridge would be visible on the wall to her right, but there's a bench there instead. I suspect it's a different and possibly new location.

I also noticed the fridge not being there, but it's possible they decided to move it. The rest of that short scene sure looks like the PV farmhouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I think it's going to be really interesting (and strange) to see more than one person alive at a time in this game... I'm really curious about what's going on at the "Refuge Shelter" (for lack of knowing it's proper name).

 

:coffee::fire:

Agreed! Even just watching the trailer felt so different from the standard lonely/isolated vibe of the game. I wonder if we'll end up interacting with that whole group. I just had the thought that everyone being sick might also be a memory - maybe that group will be mostly gone by the time Astrid gets there?? I remember one of the earlier screenshots of that community hall looked pretty dang empty... 😬

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you remember that early test footage, it seems as though hinterland want's people in wintermute and that wintermute is the main point of the game. I think they just couldn't find away to make human a.i that they liked. So for episode one and two all the people were interactive objects rather then entities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RegentRelic said:

If you remember that early test footage, it seems as though hinterland want's people in wintermute and that wintermute is the main point of the game. I think they just couldn't find away to make human a.i that they liked. So for episode one and two all the people were interactive objects rather then entities.

Yeah, I know.  I was just pointing out that unlike ep 1 & 2 (where you were only interacting with one person at a time)... ep 3 looks like there is a whole group of folks huddled together and I'm excited to see who that plays out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, Gazbeard said:

New forge in Pleasant valley? - one character is shown aiming a bow with arrowhead on the arrow.

They probably just brought them 😉 But possible. 

On 9/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, Gazbeard said:

New plane crash in Pleasant Valley (looks to be in the woods on Draft Dodgers side of the map) BUT there's 2 different images - one "could be " the summit with reworked plane (both wings and engines still attached), the other definitely at lower elevation in woodland.

While the plane looks similar, I don't think that's the one on the summit. There is/was no house to burn on the summit - although they could have changed that. But in general, yes, we never found out where the front section of the plane went, so it technically could be connected. Intriguing!

On 9/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, Gazbeard said:

New township layout at the rural crossroads with church and community hall - signal fire outside community hall.

I remember reading that they "improved" on rural crossroads. So that's probably what it looks like now. 

On 9/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, Azdrawee said:

The hands in this screenshot look different, I think first person clothing is finally coming to the game!

I don't think so. But Astrid finally got her own set of hands and her own jacket. Wohoo :D

On 9/24/2019 at 1:14 AM, Martin Prchal said:

To me it seems like Pleasant Valley will be highly modified or have some additions, because the town seems pretty large. I wonder how this will affect Survival games.

In general I really like this. PV is the biggest region, but doesn't have a lot of stuff happening in it. I know that was part of the original design, but I never felt it worked out particularily well. So if anything I think PV might actually be more now than the most oversized transition zone ever.

Also: Having more characters at the same time would be rather interesting. The majority of the game we'll still be running around alone, so having a few faces to look at is a nice change for storymode.

Something that caught my attention is that that woman in front of the stove (which is presumably the same holding the bow in the poster) is actually smoking. That's something you see rather rarely these days, and while I generally agree that smoking doesn't have to be ubiquitously present as it used to be, I sorta like the overall vibe this gives that character. I guess that woman is gritty as fudge and you better not get on her wrong side, but those are always the people with the best stories.

I also feel like the adjusted astrid a bit again. Maybe you do agree: 

image.png.cdcc2a3905977a0efbca1fca3d9deda4.png
image.png.27324d0ccdb5f99faf10e7a3e9de635c.png

image.png.04d350f2e3c5bf9148bd196b78dd6bdb.png

And I also feel that flare we see on this picture (and saw on another as well) will play a very crucial part in the story.

Edited by jeffpeng
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Across these three pictures the only design change is Astrid's coat. The center image is form the hanger.

 

Also the women with the cigar all ready reminds me in every way of my grandmother.

Edited by RegentRelic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Across these three pictures the only design change is Astrid's coat. The center image is form the hanger.

There are a few other, more subtle changes 😉

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

New forge in Pleasant valley? - one character is shown aiming a bow with arrowhead on the arrow.

I would love a new forge in pleasant valley for the sake of my current save. I have been living at the mountaineering hut for the past hundred days and have gradually lost arrow heads to the wolves at crystal lake. My current plan is to go slowly through pleasant on my to the coast to stay there for as long as I can and I would rather take a little extra time in pleasant valley forging arrows then go all the way to desolation point. Having to go there would mess up my plan of going there after I have done as much fishing as possible at coastal highway. I want to avoid going to desolation point first so i don't have to carry around the heavy hunting supplies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the man's name is "Father Tom" and the women's name is Molly. I looked the pictures names

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DarKube said:

the man's name is "Father Tom" and the women's name is Molly. I looked the pictures names

Great detective work! (Althought I found that too, but didn't want to go spoilering xD)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, Azdrawee said:

The hands in this screenshot look different, I think first person clothing is finally coming to the game!

TheLongDark_Ep3_Distress_web.png

Feminine Astrid hands?

I know I've seen many Wishlists for candles - they are in one picture...we can hope we get them in-game.

Cigarette?  Must be very valuable!

Edited by hozz1235

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

New forge in Pleasant valley?

Honestly, I really hope not...

If they did this I think it would disrupt the balance they've achieved across the many regions.  A forge in Pleasant Valley would mean a location with access to everything, and I don't think that would be good for the game.  Sure it might be super convenient for players, but I'm not interested in things that are convenient for the player.  I'd rather see the balance maintained.  I love that no matter where I am, there is always some feature that I would need to go to another region to use.

So far as I know, no single region contains all major features, it's always a nice mixture of most... and I love that even the locations considered "really good" are always at least one thing shy of being the "perfect place."  I think this variety is what keeps the game interesting, every place has it's merits... every place has it's drawbacks.  So it then it relies on personal strategy and player choice when it comes time to find those areas we want to set things up in (because we have to consider the pros and cons or each location, as well as how we tend to play to make that decision).

I think if we had one place that had everything (and was therefore obviously more advantageous than all the others)... then the majority of players would naturally gravitate towards that location because there would exist a convenient "one stop shop."  If that happened, I think an important part of the identity of the game would be lost.
 

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited minor errors
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now