FIVE YEARS

Admin

3 minutes ago, devamadhu said:

You never know! They could always surprise us. The release date is still before Oct 31st, so maybe no news about 4DoN could still mean good news to come. 😁

Just ignore that.  Obviously I wasn't supposed to express any sort of valid thought.

20 minutes ago, Wade said:

Just ignore that.  Obviously I wasn't supposed to express any sort of valid thought.

To be clear, I will also be slightly bummed if there's no 4DoN, but I'm still holding out hope. 

I also agree with your earlier post that we should be able to respectfully express our occasional bummed-ness about something without being "tone policed" by other forum members.

• Like 2

Thanks @Raphael van Lierop. I and my family appreciate all of the hard work you, and your entire team have done, to make this game the best you can. 

It may not come at a fast enough pace for some, and some of us may be more than happy to wait, to get a better finished project. But come on people, the sniping back and forth is really... petty. Take it up in PMs, or just block each other, and don't look at the blocked comments on a thread. I have my opinions, and am a dedicated, diehard fangirl of the studio, the game, and the devs. Feel free to ignore my posts if you aren't such a fan. I like what I like. You like what you like. It's what makes us individuals... having our own, subjective, individual opinions.

I am looking forward to Episode 3, to the Survival Mode update in December, and am currently enjoying the Time Capsule. Desolation Point is the first one i am trying out. It shipped before I bought the game, and the chance to try to survive, and see my favorite region when it was brand new... I really, really, really appreciate the opportunity to go back in time, and have these new experiences. And to see how the game started, and how it has grown, matured, and become what it is today. And I am looking forward to 4DoN this year, because I recall seeing you, Raph, say something about the badges from 2018, and people being able to earn the badges for 2019. I'd look for it and link the post, but I am tired, and my Google-Fu skills decided to take a nap. And I think i will join them.

Always a fan, and always looking forward to anything, and everything Hinterland gives us. Now, and in the future. Thank you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Admin said:

I feel a huge weight of responsibility to each and every person who buys The Long Dark — will they feel good about their purchase?

The answer is yes.

Will they see how much care we’ve put into what we’ve given them?

The answer, again, is yes.

Will they understand what we’ve tried to show them?

I think I do. I hope I do. I want to.

Today, it’s so easy to be cynical about the industry and the motivations of developers. Most of the cynicism is, in my opinion, an easy cop-out, and deeply unfair. Most developers are in it for the love of the craft.

There are scumbags, too. Fortunately they're usually easy to spot. Attitudes speak volumes. I will always praise your choice to keep a sort of 'direct channel' open with the community. Too many do not. This is always appreciated and never taken for granted on my part.

11 hours ago, Admin said:

For us, the motivation is simple — to create work of lasting meaning. We hope our work speaks for us.

I'll just tell you this: there aren't many games I've spent a lot of hours playing. The Long Dark is now firmly in my Hall of Fame, with the Tomb Raider franchise and Half-Life 2.

Thank you for the hard and continued work. Cheers!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 4

Cheers and keep up the good work. I really appreciate all the work that's done on The Long Dark, and the unique experience you created and I never once regretted buying it as early access. From the beginning it was a special game, and it's great to see there are still developers that actually have a passion for making quality.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Guest jeffpeng

Well while I must admit that the entire Ep. 3 announcement comes with a bit of a bitter taste - which is a fair stance I think - I'm happy to see that the story continuesI might not be particularily hyped, and for that to return Ep. 3 really has to come through (and I genuinely hope it does), but I am seriously hyped that Survival will (probably 😉) get an update before the year is done.

About your stance towards responsibility and how you view yourself in the grand scheme of things: I find it remarkable to see a person think and position themselves that way, but I also want to stress that some small amount of self-praise now and the is advisable 😉

Also: While I think the argument that 5 years is a long time to work on a game ... and still not having finished it is a valid one, and I believe one prominently reflected by a lot of people that do not voice their opinion here, it's also that 5 years is a long time to work on a game .... and to still find ways to make it better is a sign of remarkable commitment as well. But I feel like this is a crucial part of the answer to

On 9/23/2019 at 7:20 PM, Admin said:

will they feel good about their purchase? Will they see how much care we’ve put into what we’ve given them? Will they understand what we’ve tried to show them?

When you do not get what you expect, which is true to some extend with The Long Dark not being (yet) what was (or at least most though was) advertised initially it's easy to be upset. It takes a long, hard look to see the values in something that initially disappointed your expectations. Sometimes that's the start of a great relationship, sometimes one cannot muster that look, sometimes what one see's still doesn't please.

I personally find it remarkable what you people at Hinterland did with The Long Dark. It is unique and worth of a genre of its own, and very considerately crafted with a lot of fine and subtle work one has to look for to see - which is proof that it is exceptionally well done. And while I keep bickering once in a while that this or that could/should be better/different this or that way ... that's basically just evidence that I care. And I guess that's the real takeaway: The Long Dark is a game people care about. Even those not satisfied do complain because they care, because the franchise, the idea, the concept is so good that people care even if they don't like the execution of it - and in some way hope that they eventually will.

I feel like Hinterland has ways to go, and that The Long Dark was an astonishingly good "first try" at making a game on your own two feet outside of a big studio. If the things you did right are the standards you live and work by, and you iron out the things you did wrong, which I am convinced you will .... I'd like to pre order my copy of whatever comes next right now. Hopefully before The Long Dark turns ten, however 😉

Edited by jeffpeng

To me, it's a real shame that some people have come to a thread like this one just to get their spiteful little jabs in.  A thread where Raph is not only announcing a lot of good news (for those of us who are here because we love and appreciate this game), as well as reflect on and share with us some of what's been going on behind the scenes.  I don't think some folks appreciate the obstacles and challenges the team has had to overcome to get to this point.

I suppose it's easy for those few to cast stones... but why?  Just because it makes a few of them feel better somehow?  Because they didn't get what they wanted fast enough from their limited perspective?  Because they think they could do better?  Because they think their backhanded compliments are clever?    ***(these are rhetorical questions by the way)***

This team deserves all the support we can show them.  It's no easy task to do what they've done.  None of us are in their shoes, so I don't think we have much room to pass judgement the way some of you have.

I'm grateful this game is a part of my life, and I'm happy to see what the next episode (and the future) brings.  Thank you Hinterland, this is by far my favorite contemporary game.  It's a wonderful world and experience you've made. 

Edited by ManicManiac
These are my last thoughts for this thread
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Wohoo! 🤘🤪 WOHOO!

I still have a few days left for holiday and i can choose when i take them. Oktober 22nd for playing the remaining part of EP 2 and Oktober 23rd for EP 3. I have to make proper preperation. Drinks, Snacks and WOHOO! 🤗

Thank you Raph for the view behind the scenes. And yes, from my point of view you and your team were able to achieve your goals. Your vision became alive.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

No, I am an entirely average person, trying very hard to do great things.

The greatest accomplishments throughout history have been the works of meer average men.

You always say that you are indebted to us players. However, I truly feel us players are indebted to you and your team.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

I am SO HYPED for this! I can not wait to play this episode. Thanks for the work you all put into this.

I'm also really looking forward to a more extensive update on the changes Episode 3 is going to bring us. I've been fidgety forever about my hallowed hoard of loot in PV and what's gonna become of it. Strapping on my backpack, all ready for a schlepping extravaganza!

• Upvote 2

The Long Dark changed my gaming life forever and set a new bar in survival simulation. Bravo, even if it were to all stop now. But no. That we're still getting unpaid content is unheard of...to think I paid only $30 for all of this joy. What else can be said but thank you all at Hinterland.

• Like 1