Reading in bed(roll)

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Just a small thing: it always bothered me that you cannot read in bed, meaning you cannot get the warmth bonus from your bed or bedroll while reading. Now I sit here in the mountaineers hut (again ...) and want to read how to finally survive the outdoors .... and it can't because it's too cold :(

A good solution would be to "enter" a bed or a bedroll just like we enter a snow shelter, just looking upside. Then we could benefit from the temp bonus, while choosing actions we do. We can also choose to sleep or pass time using the radial menu, just like when we sleep in a car. It would be quite roleplay-ish.

Edited by StrayCat
  • Upvote 3

It's really hard to keep fully covered in beds and bedrolls while reading. A good part of your head and shoulders is usually sticking out and you have to keep shifting positions when your shoulder and elbow hurts. A good 25 percent of the bed's temperature would be reduced since you're not wrapped up as cozily. Or maybe the reading speed is lowered for more interesting choices (not something Id like however). 

In timberwolf, cook some meat without any pots so its 60 minutes and read as soon as they hit the rocks. You should get the hour in without burning them if you're low cooking level.

Edited by MarrowStone
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 9/30/2019 at 8:21 AM, MarrowStone said:

It's really hard to keep fully covered in beds and bedrolls while reading. A good part of your head and shoulders is usually sticking out and you have to keep shifting positions when your shoulder and elbow hurts. A good 25 percent of the bed's temperature would be reduced since you're not wrapped up as cozily. Or maybe the reading speed is lowered for more interesting choices (not something Id like however). 

In timberwolf, cook some meat without any pots so its 60 minutes and read as soon as they hit the rocks. You should get the hour in without burning them if you're low cooking level.

You don't believe how cuddled up my wife can be while still reading a book. Gross estimates vary between 90 and 110% of her body.

Also thanks for the tip. 😉 I usually do that with water, but in this very instance I had no fire going and no particular reason to except reading. Which is not enough for me to expend a match. I'm conservative like that ^^

@jeffpeng, Idk how they do it, lol. I'm always tossing and turning while reading. Being able to lay in a bed (and sit on chairs *cough*) much like sitting in a car would be great for immersion however. Esp. with candles instead of a fire. 

You could always take a short trip to the nearest cave during the day to chip away at some reading too. (Don't read in the bear cave please, he doesnt like books)

Im stingy with my matches as well. You could also go nocturnal and read at night and sleep during the day without a fire if you're pretty well dressed. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 10/1/2019 at 3:40 PM, MarrowStone said:

Idk how they do it, lol. I'm always tossing and turning while reading. Being able to lay in a bed (and sit on chairs *cough*) much like sitting in a car would be great for immersion however. Esp. with candles instead of a fire. 

I'd be careful using the "im"-word. It probably doesn't mean what we think it means .... or so I've read :D Although sitting on a chairs or in armchairs would be pretty darn great. Just imagine .... a nice fire going, cuddled up in front of it in your rocking chair with a moose hide blanket, the wind knocking on the windows, the bear knocking on the door, a hot cup of tea and a good book about disemboweling animals. Who wouldn't like that? Very imme- I mean nice.