Questions about Archivist Challenge

RandomP1ayer

Haven't completed this challenge yet and was curious as to what tips or strategies work best?  Last time I attempted a go at this, I got double mauled by a bear just after a couple of days of in game time.  So obviously dodging the bear is par for the course.  What's a good strategy to use?  Do you take time to loot and gear up,  or is it better to run and gun or just run and try to avoid the wildlife as best you can?  Is there any particular route or order that's more practical than another?  Do you take the time to harvest maple and birch saplings in order to craft weapons later or do you just hope to find stuff on the run?  Do you bother forging  when you get to a forge or do you just play through?  How many hours of game play did Hinterland expect the average player to spend in pursuit of completing this challenge?  Has anyone done a speed run on this and if so, will you relate your story, please?

thanks in advance for helping a noobie out!

I actually took the time to plot out the route I would take to hit all locations.  I would take small detours to hit loot-heavy areas, but for the most part, stayed on course.

I would avoid all wildlife.  No reason to gather to craft anything.  You should find enough along the way to survive until challenge complete.

@RandomP1ayer
Based on the adversity I got from my Archivist Challenge... I would say be prepared to hole up for long periods of time.

I had extraordinarily bad luck with weather.  I had to spend two weeks in one location waiting for an aurora, and then had to camp in a cave for 3 weeks waiting at another.  If the RNG gets hateful there is the real possibility of having to hang around a location for expended periods of time so you can collect the buffer memory. 

Like wise... if you get an aurora early in the night, high tail it and try to get more than one buffer memory when the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by ManicManiac

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I actually took the time to plot out the route I would take to hit all locations.  I would take small detours to hit loot-heavy areas, but for the most part, stayed on course.

I would avoid all wildlife.  No reason to gather to craft anything.  You should find enough along the way to survive until challenge complete.

I just started a new run and without weapons, it was tough getting started.  I just started carrying a couple of birch and maple saplings with me and everytime  i stopped over night I dropped them on the ground for curing.   I even managed to crafts some arrowheads but that was all.  didnt waste time with anything else though.  finally feel like the ratio of whetstones is in sync with how long it takes to complete this challenge

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@RandomP1ayer
Based on the adversity I got from my Archivist Challenge... I would say be prepared to hole up for long periods of time.

I had extraordinarily bad luck with weather.  I had to spend two weeks in one location waiting for an aurora, and then had to camp in a cave for 3 weeks waiting at another.  If the RNG gets hateful there is the real possibility of having to hang around a location for expended periods of time so you can collect the buffer memory. 

Like wise... if you get an aurora early in the night, high tail it and try to get more than one buffer memory when the opportunity presents itself.

I know what you mean, happened to me already...  got over to Milton town, early in the evening, hit the post office, grab the file.  shoulda woulda coulda made it to the Orca and grabbed that last file, but no... decided to camp out figuring I would get another aurora the next night...  yeah like 14 days later.  In the downtime waiting I stripped Milton Town clean and when I finally got the  file from the gas station computer I had something like 12 cooking pots in the house and enough clothing to start a boutique!

@RandomP1ayer
Yeah, being at the mercy of the weather in a game where the weather is famously unstable :D can make it one a rough challenge to get through.

But honestly, I liked it much more than nomad where we just had to hang around for an arbitrary amount of time.  At least with Archivist, having to wait is determined by "forces out of our control" and does add to the difficulty of the challenge (even if only a little).

I admit I had one moment that pissed me right off... I was walking towards up to signal hill in the early evening, and to my delight an aurora was just beginning.  I started sprinting because I was hoping to grab it and then hike across the map for the other one before it ended.  As I building was insight the sky "flickered" and it was instantly cloudy and snowing... I knew that wasn't supposed to happened and I was damn livid! :D  Turns out there was an aurora the very next night so I was able to finish carrying out my plan.   ...side note: aurora wolves/bears in Pleasant Valley when you're going for broke, terrifying... 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac