Did Wintermute ages ago, but...

Bromstarzan

With recent updates and patches it seems my save is totally gone.

I finished the Wintermute story about 2 years ago and am waiting for the next chapter. Now, I noticed (when choosing Wintermute), my only option is to start from the beginning?

Is this due to a lack of save in the cloud or? Anyone else in the same boat?

Don't mind so much re-playing the story - maybe I have to (do we?). A lot was changed, but I like how I remembered it and really just want to do the next chapter...

I take it you've been out of circulation a while...  When they did Wintermute Redux, they over hauled episode 1&2 so much that the old saves where no longer compatible.  Those who already completed ep 1&2 will still be able to jump right into ep 3 as soon as that becomes available (so no one is forced to replay 1&2 if they don't want to...but I recommend it, it's so much better now)

:coffee::fire:

Guest jeffpeng

I'd give it a try. There are some uniquely improved aspects to how they "reduxed" the storyline. I didn't agree with everything (*cough* bear *cough*) but once you detach yourself from the reflex that everything was better in the past you can actually appreciate the work that must have gotten into this. Since I suspect we'll be seeing Ep. 3 sometime after 4DON but most likely before christmas (wild guessing here, don't hold me to it) I'd recommend you to make it a consecutive experience going through all three episodes at once. Like a Star Wars triple-feature, if you will (or watching Star Trek II to IV in one go for those who perfer that :D)

Thank you all for replies!

So, if it is a compability issue, how will the game tell who has finished ep. 1 and who has not? I guess we'll wait and see. Perhaps everyone simply get the option to start on ep. 2.

I'll take your advice and replay ep. 1 just to have a look at the new stuff. I'm not too excited about the bear chapter though...

One can say I've been "out of circulation" for a while since I'm playing survival exclusively (current session on day 450-ish). 

Love the game, hope for more content and additional maps.

Edited by Bromstarzan

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

Overall experience is kinda "meh" because it is easy to lose emotional connection to a character with unknown past while you are getting more info about him once a couple of years. It is silly to get the story, that lasts an equivalent of several months at max in real time, while the development takes years.

I hear you. Personally I lost interest in story mode since ... well, yeah, you kinda hit the nail dead there. But in all honesty this is a different topic that - sadly - was and will be discussed ad nauseum without much that can or (probably) will be done about it. Since I don't want to stray off topic too much I just repeat my many times over stated sentiment that while story mode was the original intend of the game and survival mode was more of a byproduct ... experience has shown that a TLD excells at the survival game, but even with all the effort that went into it story mode simply does not (and imho will not) work. So, for me, TLD is fine as it is, I got my money's worth out of it many times over, even with the broken story mode. But that's my very personal opinion, and I neither want to discourage anyone from playing the story, nor do I want to tell people that feel cheated out of the game they thought they'd buy to suck it up. But I think Hinterland is very much aware that they did not deliver as promised, and I do commend them for the fact that they still haven't abandoned the game - something most other companies would have done at this point.

3 hours ago, Bromstarzan said:

So, if it is a compability issue, how will the game tell who has finished ep. 1 and who has not? I guess we'll wait and see. Perhaps everyone simply get the option to start on ep. 2.

It's bascially like that: the game knows (if you still have the same data file) that you completed Ep. 2, so it will offer you a clean slate start from Ep. 3 on, but your old saves wouldn't work for a multitude of reasons, so they deleted those.

3 hours ago, Bromstarzan said:

Love the game, hope for more content and additional maps.

Yes, please. More maps - more maps like TWM and HRV in particular :D

@Bromstarzan

To follow up with another question you asked:

15 hours ago, Bromstarzan said:

how will the game tell who has finished ep. 1 and who has not?

Episodes 1 & 2 have achievements associated with them.  I imagine that the simplest way, would be if those are present... then the next episode in line after them will be unlocked as soon as it's available.  Also, Jeffpeng could be very much correct as well, I don't know.  Naturally, I'm not part of the Hinterland team so I have no way to know for sure... perhaps it would be a good question for the Milton Mailbag.

Edited by ManicManiac