New update installed. Wolves suddenly more aggresive.

MartyTheGamer

I was 30 days into a Voyageur run when the game updated, then made the mistake of trying to carry out some raw venison from Coastal Hwy to Mystery Lake and was fatally attacked by wolves. The initial attack immediately took my health from 100% to -35%. I am usually able to fight the wolf off before my health drops below 40%.

So I installed the new update and just started it up. I've noticed the wolves now see me and chase me from a far bigger distance than before. Is this normal? Has the wolf AI been tuned again or somethings wrong?

They are too aggressive, they are like the bad guys in the first Farcry who automatically attacked when you happened to walk in their general vicinity.

I am, unfortunately at the Coastal Highway luckily found a rifle and ammo before I went out to search the fishing shanties... But I shot three wolves near the fishing village who seem to have esp then had a wolf run through two hand flares and getting shot to attack me, I fought it off and it ran a couple meters than turned around and ran back at me, I shot at it again and ran up to me and I killed it with one blow from a hatchet... Then had another wolf chase me into a cabin.

Guys, there are too many wolves with ESP who do not fear gunfire, flares or fires in stalker mode. There is no reason to carry flares at all or attempt to use the sleeping bag outside with a fire going.

Put me down as not a fan of the "New and Improved Wolves".

In a new game I started on Friday (my last game ended with a triple wolf attack on monday), I'm finding that the entire game revolves around trying to avoid wolves. 15 days in, and I have shot 3 wolves (including Fluffy), collected another 4 pelts from hand to hand, and have fought another 4 wolves (I assume they died eventually, but I couldn't find the carcasses).

I had a deer that I chased to a wolf. It literally ran through the wolf, which the wolf ignored. Then the wolf started to chase me.

I was being chased by a wolf on ML. Was between the fishing shack closest to the camp office and the island in the middle. Suddenly saw another wolf running towards me from the tracks BEYOND the camp office. He first appeared to me as a high speed black speck he was so far away.

I have also 3 times had a wolf who was feeding suddenly give chase while I was well away from him.

When I have fought a wolf, by the time I apply a bandage, and give chase, the blood trail is starting to disappear. If I do happen upon a wolf I have wounded, I can't initiate a fight with him. Even when I shot Fluffy, I only wounded him. Was literally pushing him around the generator room for 5 minutes before he initiated an attack on me so I could finish him off.

Also, wolves don't stalk anymore. If they ping on me, it's an instant chase where they are running as fast as I am.

I enjoy this game for all aspects of the survival sim, not because I want to play "Wolf Evasion Simulator 2015".

Please either reduce the aggression of wolves, allow us to outrun them, or reduce the numbers. I understand the "Geo-magnetic effect causes animals to behave strangely" part of the game, but this is ridiculous and has stopped being fun.

@HKMark: good thing you noticed the - 35percent that was lost during your struggle

Actually, no, I didn't lose -35% health, I lost -135% health. Immediately. There was no opportunity to fight back.

Devs: For my part, the level of difficulty dealing with the wolves is detracting from the game to the extent that I wonder if it's worth investing the time playing anymore.

I can confirm that wolves are no longer afraid of campfires, also in voyageur mode. Got attacked by one while cooking deer meat. x-x

I strongly suggest NOT to carry any kind of meat (neither raw nor cooked) with you while exploring unknown/unsecure territory. You should also be very careful while harvesting corpses, wolves will approach you from really far distances as soon as you harvested the first piece of meat.

Seems to me like the new "wolves react to meat scent" feature is one of the key reasons for V1.92 wolf agression.

I started to store all meat in my base and use other kinds of food while exploring. Helped me a lot to avoid excessive wolf agression (works at least in voyageur mode).

I just "love" the Long Dark playerbase where like 75% talk about realism and good things with wolfs getting more and more agressive. Bet those ppl never seen one Wolf in real life. Dont get me wrong I like to play with Wolfs attacking me but a Wolf following me from like 5 km distance because I have 200g of meat on me is just god damn stupid.

Disagree, they are not too aggressive, but finally a challenge!

I am glad you're enjoying the challenge. Buy you speak for yourself.

May you please give some arguments?

This is not meant be a show off or sth, but wolfves are as hard to fight as in the update before. Only things changed are their wayfinding and their velocity.

And coming to that Realism dabate flashing up again and again:

Guys, have a glimpse to the very first screen when starting the game. Thank you.

May you please give some arguments?

This is not meant be a show off or sth, but wolfves are as hard to fight as in the update before. Only things changed are their wayfinding and their velocity.

And coming to that Realism dabate flashing up again and again:

Guys, have a glimpse to the very first screen when starting the game. Thank you.

I don't owe you an argument. You speak for yourself, not me.

But the main reason I bought this game because it was something rare: a survival game without freaking zombies/undeads. And now it becomes more and more like a zombie survival but instead of a zombie skin they have a wolf skin...

The changes to wolves are in the right direction!

They definitely feel more "engaging" to me, or rather, like entities with more depth and nuance to them.

I haven't played a game in voyageur yet--I'm still on my stalker save file--but judging from the comments here perhaps the relative difficulty of wolves in voyageur should be tweaked?

However, I empathize with people who are tired of constantly having to deal with wolves. IMO having wolves as a constant, continual threat to be dealt with becomes a bit boring and detracts from the game's atmosphere, as well as from its other resource management and survival oriented mechanics. I think that wolves should be fleshed out and upgraded into truly fearsome predators, while at the same time having their numbers reduced to more (sorry if this word has become a bit of a taboo around here) "realistic" levels. For me, part of the thrill and pleasure of a survival experience is the tension that builds in the down time, when there are no immediate dangers or conspicuous threats. The relative calmness or "easyness" of down time makes the dangerous encounters all the more vivid and nerve wracking! But as it stands now, with wolves basically patrolling every single area of the map, the predator mechanic itself is being cheapened. There's no novelty or thrill to it when it's a predictable, basic fact--if you're walking around, you will run into a wolf.

Tl;dr while I love the changes the developpers have made to the wolf AI in terms of making their behaviour more complex and their "personality" more fierce and predatorial, I think that there are other design factors at the level of implementation (rather than the level of the AI itself) detracting from their potential. The main factor is an overabundance of wolves, which turns the distinct nuance and thrill of wolf encounters into another predictable environmental effect.

Without having a real subject to talk about, your posts are nonsens.

Feel free to stay outside the conversation then.

You're not an admin within these forums and you are not in a position to be telling me or anyone else to do anything. I was expressing the point that I do not share your opinion - actually I disagree with you completely. You only speak for yourself.

HKMark, please stop being confrontational, you are only ruining the atmosphere and debating stances on the forum. Stop taking things personally and ignore any attacks on yourself, it only makes the attacker look bad, and you remain on the moral high ground.

This advice applies to all on this forum

Pikkue, if people are acting aggressive, don't bother reasoning with them. Just leave them to their machinations.

Ahem, back on topic.

I would like to see the aggressive behavior to exist only in groups of wolves, with lone wolves exhibiting the stalking behaviour. This reflects the fact that wolves are social pack animals that hunt in groups. A lone wolf is more likely to stalk and wait for the right moment, whereas packs of wolves tend to be more bold.

Without having a real subject to talk about, your posts are nonsens.

Feel free to stay outside the conversation then.

You're not an admin within these forums and you are not in a position to be telling me or anyone else to do anything. I was expressing the point that I do not share your opinion - actually I disagree with you completely. You only speak for yourself.

Ye you disagree without any given reason and play the admin-card - nice.

Wont waste more energy on this. Have a nice day.

@EternyTide thx for conciliating tho <3

Archived