4DON 2019

Cr41g

Hopefully it will be better than last year. Not that that would be difficult. Something to force you to be outside. And not just sit around inside and pass time. No wild life on Day 1 was also bad.

Maybe have optional special objective for people who want to push themselves more. Like climbing Timberwolf Mountain. Or reaching the mysterious signal fire.

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Hopefully it will be better than last year.

I don't know, I thought last year's Four Days of Night was rather enjoyable.  I'm sure Hinterland wanted folks to be able to enjoy the experience, so I imagine they didn't want to design it to be so difficult that it would exclude the majority of their players.  It can be difficult balance to achieve... challenging but still accessible to the largest number of players.

I just look forward to whatever Hinterland comes up with.  There will be no complaints from me.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I don't know, I thought last year's Four Days of Night was rather enjoyable.

Personally I liked it as well.

6 hours ago, Serenity said:

Something to force you to be outside.

Don't know about needing incentive to go out. I traversed everything I could last year - because why not. Not sure where this mindset comes from that action always must either be forced on someone or must be rewarded to warrant it. Maybe we should just do things more because doing things is fun. On the other hand ....

6 hours ago, Serenity said:

Maybe have optional special objective for people who want to push themselves more. Like climbing Timberwolf Mountain.

... a good challenge is always appreciated.

I enjoyed it last year. Unfortunately work kept me away from most of it, but the parts I did get to play were great. Even the no wildlife day. I really liked the idea of the progression, and needing to spend the days getting your things in order to stock up for the next insult. As it were.

I'm hoping I'll be in a position to swing getting the play time in each day so I can fully exploit it this year.

This year, I don't care how sick I am, I am going to play.

Last year I got to play a bit of the first day, but was so sick I could not play much that first day, and could not play at all on the remaining days. 
That really bummed me out. Not for the pretty badges, but for missing the experience.

If I die before the event this year, I have a request to my family. They must bury me with my gaming laptop, and make sure the battery is fully charged.
(Seriously kidding here. Maybe.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all this excitement of chapter threes release during the same month as 4DON it seems like a lot of activeness after a long period of silence. And during that period the world of the long dark never felt so lonely. Last year in the 4DON it was my first year to participate in it because the year before last Xbox was excluded from the event. But last year I played one or two days and received the least hard badge to get I think it was the midnight badge maybe.

Edited by Tri13

• 3 weeks later...

Good to know 4DON is coming 'round again.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Last year I played it safe... and was able to complete all 4 nights without issue.  I played it safe because I initially thought I would only have one shot at it - for the badges anyway...  It was still rough in parts, as I still went out to find as many jack-o-lanterns (and later pumpkin pies) as possible, but I did manage to do it all in one continuous run.

This year however, I plan to be a little more foolish :D
Hopefully I will be able to find a rifle this time... Last year I was really unlucky, and only found flashlights (I did find some ammo, but no rifle).  That's also part of the reason why I was playing it safe last year... no boom-stick. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I've been told that the flashlight's high-beam was supposed to frighten off wolves... but you know something, it's never done that for me.  In my experience the high-beam only makes them 'standoff' (like with a flair or torch - they just stand their ground and snarl menacingly).  So, I've always just assumed that it was only good for stopping a charge to buy me time to get away or get to a light source that would scare them off...

If everyone else is successful with using the high-beam to scare off wolves, then clearly I've just been the most unlucky one could possibly be with this mechanic.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

3 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

I never carry a flashlight

I don't either (not since last year anyway)... mainly because the other light sources during an aurora are more effective and as  bonus I don't have to lug them around in my inventory :D 

Though during an aurora it does mean that I move even more strategically than I usually do. 

Edited by ManicManiac

alright.... so for those who went thru 4DON last year.. and it is the same this year...how about we spice it up a little for those interested ..

just some ideas....

visit a specified number or greater of maps over the 4 days..?

no sleeping indoors.... ?

ideas ? your thoughts.......

verification at the end with screenshot

Edited by Cr41g

@Cr41g in addition to what you've already mentioned, there are plenty of ways to ramp up personal difficulty (a.k.a. make life harder for yourself) in this game:

No double layers... (just like the old days)
No using coal
No using the Rifle/Revolver
No eating Halloween candy or pie (if you really want to make life hard for yourself don't eat the super calorie dense Halloween treats this year... try and survive without it)

There are endless creative ways we can spike the difficulty for ourselves... and since it's a single player game we can play however we want to. 

Edited by ManicManiac